The Pompano are coming

Help to add helpful posts on catching specific species.
mike j
Weekend Warrior

The Pompano are coming

Post by mike j »

I wanted to post in this section because I feel its under utilized. Right now is the time in Palm Beach county to fish for Pompano. In the surf or the intercoastal. Look for clear water with some current. In the surf try to catch the incoming high tide. If you spot fleas stop and fish. I don't fish with a long surf rod , I've been catching them twenty to thirty yards out. You can't catch them if you don't get out there.

boriqua187
Fisher

Re: The Pompano are coming

Post by boriqua187 »

I caught a a couple 2 weeks ago in lake worth (16 in & 17 in), then last weekend ended up with 3 shorts, a dozen glassnose, and a stragler croaker. Plus the usual jacks and catfish. Like you say you wont catch them if you don't go.

-Tight Lines-

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Re: The Pompano are coming

Post by mike j »

I haven't caught a short Pompano in a while. I was really impressed with the size of the Pompano I caught this weekend. I should have measured them but the size for this time of year made me happy. What you call glass nose are Atlantic Threadfin ( I just a few weeks ago was able to figure out what they were). What I caught tons of were pompanetas , they were so thick. In years past I never caught so many. Like I said both days I was the only one fishing. I am amazed how few people fish the surf. In about a hour and a half I used a whole bag of shrimp. Obviously I don't always catch fish, but I try to fish often and sometimes I get rewarded, good luck.

Return to “Pompano Info”