Help with Pompanos

Help to add helpful posts on catching specific species.
tommyking
Fisher

Help with Pompanos

Post by tommyking »

Just wanted to ask some of you pompano expert on what is the right gear to use on the surf and the Pier.Im wanting to catch some pomps but I'm new to this.Should I use a surf rod that is whippie or a stout surf rod.And what is the best bait to use i'm assuming sand fleas.Any advise would sure be appreciated.Thanks
DILLIGAF

Brent301
Fisher

Re: Help with Pompanos

Post by Brent301 »

3000 series reel light action rod with 10-20 # line and leader and a pink banana jig should do the trick!

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

start fishing dania an if you see a guy with a ponytail standing next to matching calcutta 700 on like 12 ft rods fish next to him he is a reel pro an let him know joe sent you
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

As mentioned you can jig for them or you can use a surf rod 9ft to 12ft med action, I like the 9ft or 10ft Ugly stix, 20 or 25 lb test with a drop loop rig "pompano rig" Sand Fleas or shrimp will work, live fleas are the best.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

tommyking
Fisher

Post by tommyking »

Thanks a lot guys for the info. :patriot:
DILLIGAF

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

8) Anglins Pier. Best place to catch them. Fish in between the gang wearing lampshade hats.
............... Image

Don't even think about it

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

gruntking wrote:start fishing dania an if you see a guy with a ponytail standing next to matching calcutta 700 on like 12 ft rods fish next to him he is a reel pro an let him know joe sent you
8) If you see Joe, let him know there is a bomb under his truck.
............... Image

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

here is an article I wrote about pompano fishing hope it helps.
http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewto ... 27&t=28007
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

tommyking wrote:Just wanted to ask some of you pompano expert on what is the right gear to use on the surf and the Pier.Im wanting to catch some pomps but I'm new to this.Should I use a surf rod that is whippie or a stout surf rod.And what is the best bait to use i'm assuming sand fleas.Any advise would sure be appreciated.Thanks
8) If you are going to use bait, 9 to 12 ft rod. Not those little 10 lb test 6 ft things. 15 to 25 lb test line, 4 to 6 oz weights depending on weather and such. Look for the break on the sand bar when you have waves. That is a hole. Fish in front of it. Do not buy gear too light. You'll regret it.
............... Image

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Saw a lady on the bridge this weekend with 2 of those pomp rigs with he floats by the hooks and pyramid sinkers. I just had to stop and ask if she was catching any pompanos

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

tommyking
Fisher

Post by tommyking »

Fellows thanks again for the good info.Going to go see George and or Jeff at T and R and get a set up. :patriot:
DILLIGAF

Xpierrat
Old Salt

Post by Xpierrat »

Hey where is the Permit forum????

BTW All permit have said that they are on strike and will not eat any crabs with hooks in them until there is a forum just for the elusive Permit...

What tide or better yet what stage of tide is considered best by the experts.... now I know no one is willing to admit to being an expert so if you have ever caught a Permit from the beach ( not a pier or ughhh a boat ) then you are qualified to answer.... I assume ( there is that word again ) that some stage of high is best because of the deeper water in the slough.... but incoming high or dropping high?????

And I would think night is better.....

Inquiring minds want to know....
Rick

Return to “Pompano Info”