40lb fluoro or 20lb mono leader??

Help to add helpful posts on catching specific species.
Moose
KING MACKEREL

40lb fluoro or 20lb mono leader??

Post by Moose »

i currently have 40lb fluoro i use offshore in clear water that works great...

is it too thick for grovers inshor? or does it not even matter because its fluoro?

my rod/reel is a penn fierce 5000 combo with 20lb high visibility bright green mono...

i also have some pink 20lb mono or white i can use for leader as well with 14lb main line test on a lighter action rod/reel combo i can use.

will the 40lb fluoro leader be more effective than a lighter test mono leader? what do you guys think?

i'll be out tomorrow at haulover at like 6 am and wanted to know what setup to bring...or should i just try both?!

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: 40lb fluoro or 20lb mono leader??

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Yes 40 lb is too heavy for mangroves inshore, especially in areas they get hit hard. I would use 15 or 20 lb flouro. The less terminal tackle the better.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

A lot will depend on where and how you are fishing
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Eddie305
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Eddie305 »

I would only use fluoro for leaders not main line its a little bit harder then mono.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

rare wrote:
agonzalez0 wrote:
my rod/reel is a penn fierce 5000 combo with 20lb high visibility bright green mono...
I would leave this HV green mono at home. Take the other rod & reel

what if i just use an albrite knot and tie some clear or LV pink mono to it...like maybe 20 yards or so and use no leader at all...

bulld0g62
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bulld0g62 »

My setup for grovers around piers is a penn fierce 5000 with 15lb clear mono. I use 20/30 lb fluero tied directly to my line on a knocker rig. Had
Plenty of luck with that setup. 30lb is max i would use for grovers and thats only at night or the water is pretty dirty.
just remember, fishing is cheaper than a psychiatrist.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Yes 40 lb is too heavy for mangroves inshore, especially in areas they get hit hard. I would use 15 or 20 lb flouro. The less terminal tackle the better.
:stupid:
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Eddie305
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Eddie305 »

For grovers just free line unless ur in some stupidly deep water and dont want no other fish to get it.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

I like to use anchor chain. I never catch anything but if I ever do it ain't getting away. :mrgreen:
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

:uplol: lmao Pat..

LandCharK
Fisher

Post by LandCharK »

AlWAYS!!! start heavy then move to Light , you are going to have to anyway but over the yrs this has always worked for me......trust me u dont wana hook the fish of ur lifetime and loose it cause u should been heavyer lol....we have all done it, its just a rule in my book, if u start light u better stay that way is all im sayin.....maybe this will help u 1 day :bom: Good luck Bro! :salut:

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

bringing it back...i didnt know any better when i wrote this...i use 20lb fluoro now for snappers with no problems at all.

LandCharK
Fisher

Post by LandCharK »

lol, now is were u really start to stand out lol....IT DEPENDS were u Are, and conditions(that being shore, boat, jettys, piers, bridges, night, day, time of yr, and most of all preferance lol) Great question tho :toast: !! all i use is 15,20,30,40,60 floro (only) lmao

P.s @ 426 mangrove snapper (Personally)this yr so far! still got 4 weeks to see were ill be in a whole yr.... dont worry everyone was 15ins-25inch lol and none went to waste .....Just a Game i was playin and ended up better than i ever thought lmao :dude: :pistols:

ALL LEGAL depends on how many people im fishin with lol, usually they dont get there limit so i help em out lol, :toast: :batman:

TOMMY
Weekend Warrior

Post by TOMMY »

STUPID QUESTION WHEN CRIMPING IS IT OK TO USE FLUORO OR REGULAR MONO

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Crimping works for either. Question being down here unless you are shark or sword fishing why would you crimp at all ?
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

A couple weeks ago I tried to get some grovers for the first time. The 1st rig I had was 20lb flouro, had a bunch of bites til it snagged and I broke it off. No one else around me was catching grovers but i was pulling em in ledt and right. Re-tied with mono and wasn't getting any bites except grunts. After 20-30min I decided to re-tie with flouro and was catching grovers instantly. The water I was fishing was inshore and very clear. I found that snook aren't as weary of mono as everyone swears they are, but is seems that the Grovers are. Def go with flouro and light when fishing clear, inshore and heavily fished areas.

LandCharK
Fisher

Post by LandCharK »

Real question tho!?

*ONLY RELATING TO NIGHT TIME!!!
I used to use 40 mono for leader a long time ago and still do sometimes $$$$$
The only thing i noticed that floro does at NIghT for me is that its more abration ressistance(breaks off less when fish take me in the colums) LOCKED DRAG BY THE WAY lol

has anyone noticed floro makin a diff at night for snaps ?????? Not really lol and i am open to other views NIGHT TIMEEEEEEEE only

(MANGROVES ESPECIALLY) smartest snapper in my book thats why the my fav... :biglaugh:

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

No need for fluro at night generally speaking. I like its abrasion resistance but other than that I don't see the need for anything but Ande pink at night.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Heard that fluro is more visible for fish at night. I am not sure if it's true or not though.

LandCharK
Fisher

Post by LandCharK »

AGREED!! :cheers: :toast: :reeling: I havent seen any diff....just in the wallet lol :rambo:

Thanks for reply

Return to “Snapper Info”