line type/strength for pomp jigging

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
hugehail
Fisher

line type/strength for pomp jigging

Post by hugehail »

I'm curious what line strength youall use when jigging for pompano? Ive got my rods loaded with 16lb Sakuma nite crystal.

bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

Re: line type/strength for pomp jigging

Post by bigyellowtuna »

10 lb or 12 lb main line with a 20-40 lb flourocarbon leader. I wouldn't go lighter than 10 if you want to consistently land the fish you hook. 12lb is a little insurance against wear and tear. 16lb will work and could get away w/o a leader, but it is a little overkill for a 2lb fish. Also, jig has to be on or near bottom when jigging....heavier line does not sink as fast as light line nor stay down as easy as light line in a heavy current. PS I've found that the best jigs are the docs 1/2 oz goofy jigs with the teaser -- about 50% of the bites will come on the teaser, not the main hook.

hugehail
Fisher

Post by hugehail »

bigyellowtuna wrote:10 lb or 12 lb main line with a 20-40 lb flourocarbon leader. I wouldn't go lighter than 10 if you want to consistently land the fish you hook. 12lb is a little insurance against wear and tear. 16lb will work and could get away w/o a leader, but it is a little overkill for a 2lb fish. Also, jig has to be on or near bottom when jigging....heavier line does not sink as fast as light line nor stay down as easy as light line in a heavy current. PS I've found that the best jigs are the docs 1/2 oz goofy jigs with the teaser -- about 50% of the bites will come on the teaser, not the main hook.
Thanks for the info. I agree with you about the line. But 16 lb Sakuma has the same diameter as 11 lb Ande. People use this line in the surf of NC for distance casting. I fished in strong current in late October and
early November at LW pier and I found that 3/4oz and 1 oz silly willy jigs with teaser worked well for me. Since it was crowded at times, I didnt have the luxury of throwing into the wind to the northeast. So I had to cast straight
and this created a cross wind situation so that the 1/2 oz jig would struggle to get to the bottom.

hugehail
Fisher

Post by hugehail »

bigyellowtuna wrote:10 lb or 12 lb main line with a 20-40 lb flourocarbon leader. I wouldn't go lighter than 10 if you want to consistently land the fish you hook. 12lb is a little insurance against wear and tear. 16lb will work and could get away w/o a leader, but it is a little overkill for a 2lb fish. Also, jig has to be on or near bottom when jigging....heavier line does not sink as fast as light line nor stay down as easy as light line in a heavy current. PS I've found that the best jigs are the docs 1/2 oz goofy jigs with the teaser -- about 50% of the bites will come on the teaser, not the main hook.
I also want to be able to land a 4 or 5 lb pomp if I happen to get one. Do you use a gaff or do you hand line? Whats the largest size pomp you have caught and did you have trouble landing it?

bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigyellowtuna »

no prob landing 4-5 lb fish with 12 lb line. From pier, point rod down at fish (when he's done fighting) reel slack out of line, and lift rod to the up position in a steady/smooth yet quick motion. Sometimes a 4-5 lb fish would break off on the flip when I used 10lb line..... Because of this and the fact that when using jigs you are not casting far, now I only use 12 lb when jigging for them. For some reason I could never get a bite with silly willy jigs on anglins and I lost confidence in them. I do however have a lot of success with doc's goofy jigs. Not sure why.

hugehail
Fisher

Post by hugehail »

bigyellowtuna wrote:no prob landing 4-5 lb fish with 12 lb line. From pier, point rod down at fish (when he's done fighting) reel slack out of line, and lift rod to the up position in a steady/smooth yet quick motion. Sometimes a 4-5 lb fish would break off on the flip when I used 10lb line..... Because of this and the fact that when using jigs you are not casting far, now I only use 12 lb when jigging for them. For some reason I could never get a bite with silly willy jigs on anglins and I lost confidence in them. I do however have a lot of success with doc's goofy jigs. Not sure why.
Thanks for the info.

Return to “Broward County”