Anglins Pier Fisherman Read this and help

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
Machiavelli_Speaks
Fisher

Anglins Pier Fisherman Read this and help

Post by Machiavelli_Speaks »

Ok I can't go into depth about what’s happening but I know some so here it is in brief terms.

The pier has been trying to make some changes the last month and a half with a new operator but there has been trouble with the one who was running it the last year and half to 2 years since the previous operator had a stroke and was unable to run it.

Many that fish there have seen a decline in operations - the lack of freezer space for adequate choice of bait, limited tackle they now carry, the pricing on some things is too high. The operator’s treatment of fisherman and other users of the pier, parking issues etc.

Anglins was always a fisherman’s pier and now the new operator wants to restore that image. We need emails sent to fishermanspierinc@gmail.com and also CC them to support@boatlessfishing.com so BF can get them to the right people.

Explain the issues you have seen over the last 2 years - the truth - nothing more and nothing less. If you have visited in the last month mention any improvements you have seen. These statements will give this new operator some advantage to show that it is getting better and will continue.

There appears to be a significant struggle between these two operators for the control of running of the pier. If the new operator is unable to maintain and it goes back the other one we are probably looking at a deeper decline and potentially higher prices. For example a jump to $9 to fish when Pompano pier closes.

The changes I have noticed the last month and a half - New freezers and more bait. The phone is actually working and the old operator, who many of us had runs ins with or felt mistreated by because of the gouging and rude interactions, has not been there.

I hear talk of a decrease in the future for admissions, Monthly passes, live bait again shrimp and other live baits, and a much larger line of tackle at reasonable prices.

I just think those of us that have seen this decline need to speak up and and try to help with at least emails or letters of support for the new operator- please include your names so they have some legitimacy.

So thanks in Advance

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Anglins Pier Fisherman Read this and help

Post by crashmister »

Who's the new operator? First thing would be annual passes. Second, GET OUT OF TOMMYS WAY AND LET HIM RUN YOUR PIER LIKE IT SHOILD BE RUN!!! He's forgotten more about running Anglens than most people will ever know. Unfortunately the previous operator didn't utilize him in that capacity. Don't make that mistake. As an investor my self, finding someone like Tom as part of an acquisition is huge in terms of problem solving and time/money spent doing so. Be smart and give him free reign! And be sure and have his back in any disputes with the restaurant.

He will make you money if you listen to him. The previous operator didn't. The pier was in decline long before he had the stroke.

Last, make it affordable for family's to park and fish. You need to give family's a reason to come to Anglens. Parking validation for pier patrons would be a great start. Even if it's just a discount it's better than nothing. People want to go to Anglens, they're just tired of the price gouging.

That's my take for what it's worth. Best o luck with your venture and if I can help in any way, Tommy has my number.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

I have to totally agree with Pat (Crash) on some of the ideas he suggests. The problem has been the owner with the attitude and inflated prices and allowing the premises to decline to the sad state they were. I'm certainly not a poor man, but I do have to watch my pennies at my old, advanced age, and having to pay just under $20 to park and cover admission before even getting a hook wet, sticks in my craw. $20 = a bottle of Cap'n Morgan. At least that's my beef with the place. Now, a few improvements go a long way. Tommy, if he even would consider it, would get my vote to be the "Capo de Capo". Again, if he was willing, and I am certainly not trying to apply any pressure on him because we all love the guy, he would be the one, so give him a raise and turn him loose. Parking rates need to be addressed. Certainly not the same rate as LBS rates because of the primo locale, but maybe a spiff for the fishermen, at least. Hell, keep it at $10 because that's one catch all (pun intended) price regardless of how long you stay. Or, you might have that in place AND some hourly rate if you're only staying, say, under 4 hours. If Tommy needs a hand, hell, I'll even go take a shift behind the counter. I know all of us only want to get "our pier" back and have it be what it used to be a long time ago; a pleasant experience. God, I sound like the Tea Party, don't I? I don't know about you, but this is the only place where salt is good for my blood pressure. Let me know what I can do to help and I'll even bring you a cheeseburger. A Rare cheeseburger!
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

WetWillie wrote:... and having to pay just under $20 to park and cover admission before even getting a hook wet, sticks in my craw. $20 = a bottle of Cap'n Morgan. At least that's my beef with the place.
10-4 bud, me too. I haven't fished there in years due to the ridiculous price. :mad: Now $10 to fish and park (in a safe place) I would do.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Machiavelli_Speaks wrote:... For example a jump to $9 to fish when Pompano pier closes.
Isn't it $10 to fish now??? Or do you mean they'll add another 9 bucks to the price?

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Right now, $7 for fishing and $10 for all day parking... so $17 for fishing and parking...
It is pricy for 2 -3 hour fishing.
But if I want to have a quality time of fishing with my family, anglin is my choice...
In general, fishing at anglin is better than pompano pier. If mackerel or pompano bites are on, anglin is my choice.

Probably, you may need to balance between tourists (one-time customers) and local fishermen (repeated customers).
Perhaps you could offer some special rate for local fishermen while keeping current rates for tourists.
If mackerel season starts, I would love to go there every morning for 6:30-8:30 if I can justify the cost.
At the moment, I go to pompano but when bite is hot, then i go to anglin.

Also, as a seasonal fish, sometimes, a school of ribbon fish invades anglin pier...
Season lasts only about 2 ~ 8 weeks. It happens once a year.
Once it happens, parking lots are full and a lot of asians on the pier...ans of course, along with nasty complaints from non-ribbon fishermen...lol
In business view, it is peak season. The challenge is nobody knows when they are coming...
If you sell live baits just caught on the pier and ribbon fish rig, everyone will come to anlgin pier...
Then you just need to limit one rod per person...lol

Rob762
Fisher

Post by Rob762 »

crashmister wrote:Who's the new operator? First thing would be annual passes. Second, GET OUT OF TOMMYS WAY AND LET HIM RUN YOUR PIER LIKE IT SHOILD BE RUN!!! He's forgotten more about running Anglens than most people will ever know. Unfortunately the previous operator didn't utilize him in that capacity. Don't make that mistake. As an investor my self, finding someone like Tom as part of an acquisition is huge in terms of problem solving and time/money spent doing so. Be smart and give him free reign! And be sure and have his back in any disputes with the restaurant.

He will make you money if you listen to him. The previous operator didn't. The pier was in decline long before he had the stroke.

Last, make it affordable for family's to park and fish. You need to give family's a reason to come to Anglens. Parking validation for pier patrons would be a great start. Even if it's just a discount it's better than nothing. People want to go to Anglens, they're just tired of the price gouging.

That's my take for what it's worth. Best o luck with your venture and if I can help in any way, Tommy has my number.
Seconded.... Leave the running to Tommy and get out of his way. Make parking reasonable, provide an annual pass and don't be a jerk (Y'all know who I'm talking about)

Spear'em!
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Spear'em! »

$30 + a man to fish a pier????? I'll take you fishing in a boat!?!?! for $25!!!!!
Lock & Load!

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Send emails People. Please
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

phantomreefer
Weekend Warrior

Post by phantomreefer »

The last month and a half have been good. Love the changes thats happening. I have been fishing Anglins since 84, and many of you, much longer. In the day, it was all about the fisherman, now, not so much. Just seems like somthing for a pompous butthole to show off to his friends.
But the new changes i see are great, they have soda again. And the long haired hippie guy in the front is awesome, and that kid with the Chevy tattoo on his hand is great also, he helped my kids catch their first fish. I love that place.
Wisdom, justice, temperance, and fortitude. And if none of that works, kick em in the nuts!

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Big Thanks to those that sent an email :toast:

Keep them coming

For those that have only come a couple of times you can still send an email and express your likes and dislikes when you did visit.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigyellowtuna »

have to correct kblue's prices....the pier lot is no longer $10 all day, it is $20...at least on Sundays. I think $10 will get you 4 hours on Sunday...not sure if it is diff during the week. Was going to park there two weeks ago on a Sun because I was plannin on staying about 5 hrs, and learned the $10 all day was no longer the going rate. I parked at a spot outside the lot which recently increased from $1.50 per hour to $2.00 per hour.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

bigyellowtuna wrote:have to correct kblue's prices....the pier lot is no longer $10 all day, it is $20...at least on Sundays. I think $10 will get you 4 hours on Sunday...not sure if it is diff during the week. Was going to park there two weeks ago on a Sun because I was plannin on staying about 5 hrs, and learned the $10 all day was no longer the going rate. I parked at a spot outside the lot which recently increased from $1.50 per hour to $2.00 per hour.
thanks for correction
I didn't know that... because I typically parked my car on public parking lot free after 5 PM or very early in the morning for 2 hour fishing time.

Ronmoll
Fisher

Post by Ronmoll »

Where is this public lot at? Is it far from the pier?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Few blocks away but small.....got to be early before the beach gang gets there if not you got to play the wait game

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Public Parking is lean but I never have trouble early. Be carefull but you can play with the meter. At least you could park free until 8:30ish. Shame what they did to that area.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

done! sent an email regarding my concerns, as an anglins pier regular Id love to see new ownership and an annual pass, Id buy it in an instant! Hopefully Tommy has more say on this, its always nice seeing you in the shop on the pier Tommy.
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

crashmister wrote:Who's the new operator? First thing would be annual passes. Second, GET OUT OF TOMMYS WAY AND LET HIM RUN YOUR PIER LIKE IT SHOILD BE RUN!!! He's forgotten more about running Anglens than most people will ever know. Unfortunately the previous operator didn't utilize him in that capacity. Don't make that mistake. As an investor my self, finding someone like Tom as part of an acquisition is huge in terms of problem solving and time/money spent doing so. Be smart and give him free reign! And be sure and have his back in any disputes with the restaurant.

First time I have logged in in a while - and see this. Pat is spot on.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

Ice
Weekend Warrior

Post by Ice »

bigyellowtuna wrote:have to correct kblue's prices....the pier lot is no longer $10 all day, it is $20...at least on Sundays. I think $10 will get you 4 hours on Sunday...not sure if it is diff during the week. Was going to park there two weeks ago on a Sun because I was plannin on staying about 5 hrs, and learned the $10 all day was no longer the going rate. I parked at a spot outside the lot which recently increased from $1.50 per hour to $2.00 per hour.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: $20 to park all day? they don't even charge that at the courthouse! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think i'll stick to dania pier, thanks.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

11pm til 9 am is 5 bucks in pier lot... daytime is a freakin scam and rip off.... and fishing is 7 bucks.

Ice
Weekend Warrior

Post by Ice »

clarence2society wrote:11pm til 9 am is 5 bucks in pier lot... daytime is a freakin scam and rip off.... and fishing is 7 bucks.
$5 for 10 hours, I can deal with that. $7 for fishing, I can deal with that too, depending on the condition of everything. $20 to park, :uplol: :uplol: :uplol: :uplol: :uplol: that aint ever happening. I don't even pay that when I go to events. I take buses or something to avoid that crap!!!

Return to “Broward County”