C.B Smith

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
yani13
Fisher

C.B Smith

Post by yani13 »

New to the Miami area from New Jersey and stopped by C.B. Smith on 10/4. Picked up my first peacock near the wooden fishing pier, there were tons of them around. They ignored my bass go to in NJ of senko worms but managed to get this guy on a live sunny. Could have had more, but finding one sunfish at this lake took me over an hour and had no luck finding another. Anyone else ever do any fishing here, looked to be a lot of nice bass there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bdawk2020
Weekend Warrior

Re: C.B Smith

Post by bdawk2020 »

Nice peacock bro. Im originally from NJ myself. Never fished that park. May have to check it out. Ive been killing largemouth up in Weston with Senkos. Got a 7 lber tonight that I'll post tomorrow. Peacock wont usually hit worms. Use crankbaits or stickbaits or topwaters. If you see them bedding a jig will work. Live cichlids or tilapia are good too.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

I fished there years ago with my son and caught many LM bass but only a few Peacock.. Note.. Peacock seldom hit a soft plastic worm unless you actually drop it right in a nest and then they will suck it in and blow it out very quickly.

If you want Peacock use lures, Xrap works great (my got to p lure gold/black), many times they will hit a noisy top-water as well.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

K R lip
Seasoned Fisher

Post by K R lip »

I take my kids there to the water park never got to fish there family day and all but good to know I grew up in nj also moved here in 07 ok go back to visit but could not live there again if u want a fun fish to chase look into bullseye snakehead it's worth the drive to north broward :reeling:

K R lip
Seasoned Fisher

Post by K R lip »

Oh and congrats on your first I missed that the first time I read it still asleep sorry

yani13
Fisher

Post by yani13 »

Yea it definitely seemed like it was worth checking out the lake looked like it holds some large fish, saw more than my fair share of nice fish in that one area, just sunfish and cichlids seemed tough to come by there. I'll have to dig through my old tackle for all my jerk baits and such, haven't used them in years in Jersey, all the bass hit nothing but rubber worms up there now. Should be fun to get to vary my tackle a little bit. And man 7 pounds that's a nice fish, I was thinking of trying up in that direction one day, was checking out markam park and thinking the lakes and the canal might be a good shot if I can sneak out of work one day this week a lil early. And I they the same snakefish that are invading up north, heard they are crazy aggressive.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Nice to see a peacock report. Before the freeze there used to be a lot of pea reports but since too few
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

K R lip
Seasoned Fisher

Post by K R lip »

I have read that northern snakehead are a problem around dc area we have a different kind called bullseye snakehead and ya they are aggressive they also look alot like bowfin so are mistaken for them often I don't fish fresh water as mush as I should but when I do it's for snakehead wife likes them more then pompano it's an ugly fish that's grate on the grill
Good luck and tight lines

bdawk2020
Weekend Warrior

Post by bdawk2020 »

Here's the bass I caught on Saturday night in Weston on a 5" Stiko from Bass Pro. Measured 20" and 7 LBs
20141011_200418_resized.jpg
20141011_200405_resized.jpg
20141011_195648_resized2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yani13
Fisher

Post by yani13 »

Awesome fish, that is every bit of seven pounds, has a nice fat gut to it. And congrats on a senko to, I can never convince the big boys to hit them always catch them around 16 inches on that. I tried out the canal next to Markham park today from 5 until dark, definitely looked like a good spot. Saw a ton of big gar, and I caught a nice 23 inch snook and two nice peacocks all on cichlids. There were a ton of big swirls and I lost something really nice to the lilly pads right as it was getting dark, but couldn't be to upset after catching some nice fish already. Ps how do you guys catch cichlids and sunfish down here. Are there secret things to look for when finding them or a different bait then the jersey staple of hotdogs. I couldn't find any again at this place for the life of me, took me ten times longer to find a cichlid then to catch a real fish. If I was able to catch a few more cichlids I feel like I would have had a real nice day.

bdawk2020
Weekend Warrior

Post by bdawk2020 »

I don't eat bass, I am a catch and release guy for freshwater atleast.

As far as catching cichlids and sunnys, I usually use bread and small gold hooks. No tricks that I know of, sometimes it can be a pain. I do believe you can use a cast net for exotics besides peacocks.

That's an awesome freshwater snook you got man! I've been fiending to catch one in fresh or salt but no luck recently. I may have to check out that area. West Broward has some great fishing spots for sure.

yani13
Fisher

Post by yani13 »

haha glad see im not doing something wrong, im used to new jersey where I can fill a bucket of them in thirty minutes, guess just so much more that eats them down here. Yea I've had no luck this fall on the saltwater snook and hes my first freshwater, but I bet if you hit up that canal you'd have no problem picking on up on a cichlid. Caught him within 30 mins and I'm thinking the fish I lost was a much larger one. I think its more fun the freshwater way anyway, nice catching snook on a 6 foot bass pole vs my beach rod with a five ounce weight. And agree on Broward fishing, I live in Dade but I do so much better whenever I make the trip north. And yea I don't eat the bass either, I'm sure there is a lot fun things in the runoff that feeds these lakes I'd prefer not to eat and also if I let them go I can catch them again tomorrow.

mrogge
Weekend Warrior

Post by mrogge »

Hi guys. I fish Weston and CB Smith too. Have a kids tournament there this weekend. IMO the peacocks here in Broward are just starting to rebound. Im stressed because all the baits that worked well before the freeze really arent working well now. My favorite baits were the Rapala xrap fire tiget, Rapala original floating black gold and the Rapala popper black silver. Especially the xrap WAS a deadly bait for peacock. I dont know what changed. This new generation of fish seem SMARTER. Seen an 8lb peacock the other day and others. Cant get them to react to the baits. They are just ignoring them. HELP!! Please.

bdawk2020
Weekend Warrior

Post by bdawk2020 »

The few Peacocks I've caught up there have been on Xraps or crank baits. If you see them bedding you could throw a small jig.

mrogge
Weekend Warrior

Post by mrogge »

Any particular x-rap size and color recommendations?

HOOKNSNOOK
Seasoned Fisher

Post by HOOKNSNOOK »

Chug bug

mrogge
Weekend Warrior

Post by mrogge »

Anyone had any luck fishing the CAMPGROUND LAKE at CB Smith? Thats the lake on the north side of the park where you see the ski boats. The water is stained pretty brown usually. And it drops to 40 feet in the middle.

lasthope
Old Salt

Post by lasthope »

Right now they should be pre spawn nesting you'll see a big female sorrow need by small males. Standing over a hole . The female luckily will be HIGHLY territorial and if you drop a pompano jig on her nest she will destroy it. Got a 8lb peacock yesterday like that cause they won't eat anything right now prespawn.

Pery
Fisher

Post by Pery »

Any updates to CB? New to the area.

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Pery wrote:Any updates to CB? New to the area.
The paddle boats are great

Sampson
Fisher

Post by Sampson »

There is a lot of pressure in C.B. Smith park these days so the fishing there ain't what it used to be but there are a couple nice spots just west of the park. One is Lake Olsen, it's in an apartment complex called Falls of Pembroke. There's also a lake just west of Flannigan High School where I've had good luck. And if you want to catch some cichlids or bluegill for bait just go to any of the small feeder canals in the area and throw some bread in the water. If there's fish in there you'll know within a couple minutes cuz they'll tear it up. Then just bait a small hook with a little piece of balled up bread and you'll be good to go.

Return to “Broward County”