Port Everglades Jetty Reports 2012 to 2022

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
k5523915
Old Salt

Re: Port Everglades Jetty Reports 2012 to 2016

Post by k5523915 »

good catch sir,,, quick question, do you catch any permit near the channel there?

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Nice catch bro!

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

fished jlloyd couple weeks ago. I brought along a friend that was new to saltwater fishing and he caught his first mangrove snapper a 20 incher and I didn't catch anything.LOL I guess you can call it beginners luck. I told him don't get used to that. You don't always get them that big :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

hit up the jetty last night and it was pretty full, unfortunately my regular spot on the jetty was taken so I fished a little further out. fishing was very slow one barely legal mangrove snapper which I just tossed back and a decent sized bonnethead on my snook bait soaking on the beach side. even though it was very dead and slow for me, something in my mind kept telling me to stay and keep fishing and it payed off, at 3AM my avet gets slammed and this monster snook was the result, fish was 39 inches and 20lbs making it my 2nd biggest snook off this jetty and 2nd one over 35 inches here, after this quick photo she was safely released and swam off strong, what a night!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Sweet fish, your persistence paid off in a big way.
Fish Crazy

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Nice fish n report!

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

John Lloyd Park is no more... its been renamed "Von D. Mizell and Eula Johnson State Park"
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

krash wrote:John Lloyd Park is no more... its been renamed "Von D. Mizell and Eula Johnson State Park"
I still call it john lloyd and I dont care what anybody else says, cant believe that they renamed it, especially without even informing john lloyd's family. the man himself lloyd is dead but his widow is still alive with their kids, they did the name change behind their back cause a bunch of wack democrats claimed john lloyd was racist, so damn tired of this garbage. if it wasnt for john lloyd there would be no park at all cause he fought to keep that land away from developers trying to build more condos and high rises there so rightfully the park was named in his honor for his efforts to preserve the land for the public to use and after all these years now they change it.

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

I'm so over this political correct cow poop. It's still JL to me as well. :mad:
Fish Crazy

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

chris21 wrote:
krash wrote:John Lloyd Park is no more... its been renamed "Von D. Mizell and Eula Johnson State Park"
I still call it john lloyd and I dont care what anybody else says, ...
Kinda like Joe Robbie staduim

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

chris21 wrote:
I still call it john lloyd and I dont care what anybody else says, cant believe that they renamed it, especially without even informing john lloyd's family. the man himself lloyd is dead but his widow is still alive with their kids, they did the name change behind their back cause a bunch of wack democrats claimed john lloyd was racist, so damn tired of this garbage. if it wasnt for john lloyd there would be no park at all cause he fought to keep that land away from developers trying to build more condos and high rises there so rightfully the park was named in his honor for his efforts to preserve the land for the public to use and after all these years now they change it.
Actually it was a republican majority and a republican governor who renamed it, Based on the fact that Lloyd was the county attorney was a racist bigot who tried to ban African Americans from the rest of a Bowards beach's. Park was named for him because he prepared the land transfer to the state. Developers
Had nothing to do with it and there was nothing honorable in his actions. Many of you weren't born when yet, but back in the 50's and early 60's, African Americans were not allowed on the beach by law. Did t matter they were resident tax payers. Not a part of American history anyone should be proud of.
No clue how this is a surprise to anyone. The effort has been ongoing for 6 years now. The people it was renamed for, actually worked to desegregate not only the beach, but all south Florida.

Story below.

Undegned ino law by Gov. Rick Scott on Wednesday, the state park in Hollywood will be the first named for any African-American.

It replaces the name of Lloyd, who as Broward County's attorney carried out the ordinance that prohibited blacks from the beach entirely and led the resistance to designating what became known for nearly 25 years as "the colored beach." It was named for him later because of his part in assembling the land and transferring it to the state parks system.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Spot on, Pat! Nice that someone remembers what really happened. I got to FLL in '56. I was nine years old. And I remember "the colored beach" and how they weren't allowed along A1A. The story was, they had to take a ferry across the inlet to the beach north of Dania Pier. In fact, the pier wasn't even thought of yet.
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

crashmister wrote:
chris21 wrote:
Actually it was a republican majority and a republican governor who renamed it, Based on the fact that Lloyd was the county attorney was a racist bigot who tried to ban African Americans from the rest of a Bowards beach's. Park was named for him because he prepared the land transfer to the state. Developers
Had nothing to do with it and there was nothing honorable in his actions. Many of you weren't born when yet, but back in the 50's and early 60's, African Americans were not allowed on the beach by law. Did t matter they were resident tax payers. Not a part of American history anyone should be proud of.
No clue how this is a surprise to anyone. The effort has been ongoing for 6 years now. The people it was renamed for, actually worked to desegregate not only the beach, but all south Florida.

Story below.

Undegned ino law by Gov. Rick Scott on Wednesday, the state park in Hollywood will be the first named for any African-American.

It replaces the name of Lloyd, who as Broward County's attorney carried out the ordinance that prohibited blacks from the beach entirely and led the resistance to designating what became known for nearly 25 years as "the colored beach." It was named for him later because of his part in assembling the land and transferring it to the state parks system.

if this is true.. kudos to the people who are doing the right thing.. maybe other anglers on this site were misinformed, but they will support this story like I do once they find out the truth.. maybe I should check out the park soon..

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

the beach here was indeed the colored beach for years, its just a little upsetting that now after all these years it gets renamed, coincidentally the movement to rename it seemed to start after obama took office and we know how he sympathizes with BLM, what a shame, either way Im just glad to have this beautiful park that I have fished for years along with many others too. any reports? I was going to go tonight as well but quickly changed my mind due to the weather.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Why is it a bit upsetting? Does this change the park in any way, shape or form?

Let say, Fidel Castro owned that park and it was, Fidel Castro Peace and Harmony park. Then later before taking over Cuba he gave the park to state. And now they renamed it to "insert whatever" would you still feel the same?

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Interesting history lesson... I don't remember Ft. Lauderdale history, was born and raised in SW Miami around Bird Road and 112th, and remember some of the segregation, I seem to remember the local A&P had separate water drinking fountain's with signs, and the beach issues. We hit Key Biscayne and Virginia Beach was designated for non-whites and the white folks had the rest of Key Biscayne beaches.

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

Rare wrote:Why is it a bit upsetting? Does this change the park in any way, shape or form?

Let say, Fidel Castro owned that park and it was, Fidel Castro Peace and Harmony park. Then later before taking over Cuba he gave the park to state. And now they renamed it to "insert whatever" would you still feel the same?
that would be different, Castro was just plain evil communist but I get your point, lets not derail this thread any further.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

That's your perception of evil :P Thread is not derailing as it part of history of the park of where you are fishing and history in the making in your generation! Clayton Bigsby will be proud of you! You are right tho- enough of this!!! Keep up the good work in the park, Chris! :toast:

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

being Cuban, growing up guys like the castro brothers, Che guevara, stalin etc..... were evil, but thanks I always try my best at the park but lately the snapper bite hasnt been very good for me maybe we need another storm to push some bigger ones in? I got a report of a whopper 24 inch grover caught on saturday night I think.

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

krash wrote:Interesting history lesson... I don't remember Ft. Lauderdale history, was born and raised in SW Miami around Bird Road and 112th, and remember some of the segregation, I seem to remember the local A&P had separate water drinking fountain's with signs, and the beach issues. We hit Key Biscayne and Virginia Beach was designated for non-whites and the white folks had the rest of Key Biscayne beaches.

Next to royal palm? My old neighborhood as well
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Thanks for history lesson...at least I know I am taking advantage of something...well I also want to contribute something back...

That snook looks so big... did you see any big poon?
I need a place to practice my hawks at night. Another secret I stole...lol

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

There has been some poon action, freelined pilchards have been the ticket. This place can be productive too for nighttime flairhawking, prepare to lose a ton of jigs though

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Well for the record I was born and raised in Chicago. I lived in the keys in 80, 81. (Marathon above the "surf side Gulf station just south of vaca cut) When I wasn't working overseas doing deep sat commercial diving! I worked at the Diving site in the Coral Lagoon resort for the then owner Inga Ditmare. Only reason I know about this is because I did the reading. History is a hobby, and I like to read.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

The beach was the best when it was not a state park. No toll no asphalt no nova. just coasties and jetties.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

hit up the jetty last night and what an interesting night it was. showed up with a dozen live pilchards and frozen ballyhoo. one of the pilchards on the beach side got slammed by a tarpon but he came off the hook on its first jump, I ended up staying later than last time, stayed till 5 am, shouldve just stayed there till sunrise but I was beyond exhausted, ended up catching 4 nice mangrove snappers, just 1 short of my limit and a 30 inch snook which wouldve been a keeper if it was September 1st so back it went. around 4am I hooked into an absolute submarine on a piece of cut ballyhoo that ran me about 3 quarters of the way out almost reaching the other side of the inlet, crazy!!!!!! hook ended up pulling out, any idea what that couldve been??? he was kicking my butt and almost spooled me, I was thinking maybe a massive stingray but who knows, all in all not a bad night at all.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Nice report and killing it out there! :toast:

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

if you add the bite from Zika... you wouldve gotten your limit! good thing you didnt...
nice snappers buddy :reeling:

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

you owned PE now!!!

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

kblue wrote:you owned PE now!!!
thank you, I am still learning this place and getting better at it each time.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

cantseeme47 wrote:
krash wrote:Interesting history lesson... I don't remember Ft. Lauderdale history, was born and raised in SW Miami around Bird Road and 112th, and remember some of the segregation, I seem to remember the local A&P had separate water drinking fountain's with signs, and the beach issues. We hit Key Biscayne and Virginia Beach was designated for non-whites and the white folks had the rest of Key Biscayne beaches.

Next to royal palm? My old neighborhood as well
Close, 11000 47th... my sister and I went to RP in the 50's, then Riviera, and SW '67.

Return to “Broward County”