Shrimping 2010 to 2022 Reports

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
SAMJOECAST
Seasoned Fisher

Shrimping 2010 to 2022 Reports

Post by SAMJOECAST »

Any info on this would be highly appreciated, I am sure by all. I will be frequently going by Hillsboro Inlet and checking it out. If anyone else can post where and when they see something, thanks in advance. :) :cyclopsani:

SAMJOECAST
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Shrimping 2010-11

Post by SAMJOECAST »

Well cold as hell and only three inch squid swimming thru

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Re: Shrimping 2010-11

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

It is still early, I do not expect to see them until maybe middle to the end of Jan if we are lucky.

Last 3 years they have showed more towards the end of Feb
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Shrimping 2010-11 thread

Post by krash »

Its a crap shoot.. I have been shrimping B-Bay Gvmt. Cut for 40+ years.. there is no real way tp predict tonight is the night to go. High tides, outgoing, new moons, full moons, North winds, water temps cold but not to cold. One year December is good, the next Feb is good., so far this year Dec. has been a bust. Rickenbacker Causeway on the way to Key Biscayne is a popular spot down South.

We usually start in Dec and go til end of Feb, limited by work commitment, 2 to 4 nights a month, and if we are luck enough to hit a good night we might fill our 5 gallon bucket 1 or 2 times a season.

Limit is 1 5 gallon bucket per person, or in our case which kind of sucks 1 5 gallon bucket per boat. We go by boat, anchor up, put out bright lights, 2 guys with dip nets one on bow one on stern bow guy takes one side stern guy takes opposite side, lights are staggered front and rear for each shrimper.. watch and dip.

The best method I have found to tell if the shrimp are running is if you see or hear about Bouncer Smith fishing the cut for Tarpon the shrimp have started the run.
Another way is if you see the dudes on the side of the road selling shrimp they are running or had a good run and the illegal wing netters had a good night or two, before buying shrimp on the side of the raod you may want to check the guys FDA inspections.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Good Info Krash !

Tommy, didnt we have shrimp and pompano running last year in May if I remember right ?
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

i usually tend to rely on strong NE winds or SE winds. (20-25+ MPH) but ur rite. ive been out there on so called perfect nights when the wind was howling and the tides were rite, but nada. trial and error. you wont know unless u go. :D

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Yea Anthony, I believe your right they finished up the second week of May.

This is how I tell.
1. NE Wind south current produces Shrimp from the Hillsboro Inlet onto Fort Lauderdale, runs are never huge amounts. But Hillsboro is one of my tell tail signs that something is going to happen, so I have people watching the inlet for the shrimpers in there boats, I am not joking.

2. Se wind is the wind, North current is best but is not necessary I have seen them run against the current to get North, water is best if it has a touch of color.

3.I have not seen more than 4 dozen shrimp in a night since 1997 or around that time before Feb 1st

4.Make a friend like me who is at the water every night, they normally see it happen.

5.When they run in Miami you will see them here in 2 to 4 days if the wind and current is right.

Before the last 4 years they were almost non existent but it has gotten better.
For the last 4 years I have seen, Per year during season on the Broward pier, at least 2 to 5 nights that you will produce a 5 gallon bucket for yourself per night, 8 to 14 days that you will get a 1/4 to a 3/4 a bucket. But the key is to be there when it goes down.

One person who I see always at that time is Lazy Pelican aka Rick and he gets his fair share because he waits them out through out that time bad or good he is there waiting when the conditions say its good and that is what it takes.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

released
Weekend Warrior

Post by released »

4.Make a friend like me who is at the water every night, they normally see it happen.

Can I be your friend Tommy?????? Good reads here. I used to shrimp, too much work, I rather catch a few and throw them back to pull on some Poons......

SAMJOECAST
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SAMJOECAST »

Well I used to go 20 years ago to Hillsboro and we would always leave 5 gal full, and yeah alot of the times it would be the perfect conditions, but we were hittin them Dec- Feb then and it used to incredible. Even on night when I didn't go because conditions weren't "right" and my friends really hooked up, it was so thick they were only holding nets in the water til they were too heavy to hold. But then I started working third shift back then and just never got back into it. So hoping that one of the nights when I go there will be some. I will also post it while I am there if I do see them.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I am sure by all the views that this is something people have been waiting for. :D

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Question for you guys getting, or have gotten, shrimp in Hillsbourough Inlet..

Are you guys 'n gals getting shrimp on the incoming or outgoing tide ?

gotants?
Old Salt

Post by gotants? »

I ran a commercial shrimp boat many moons ago. First off, what iswith the comments Krash about illegals and FDA? Yes, most of the commercials are cubans, but that doesn't make them all illegals. And selling on the roadside does not require an FDA stamp. Only if you are selling cooked shrimp.

The best times are NE/SE winds, falling high tides with slack tide on both sides good as well. I generally shrimped the NE winds north of Government Cut, and SE winds south of it,

Best tides ARE around the full moon, Usually three days before, and three days after, with new moon coming in second close.

Wetter winters (more precipitation) coincide with better years in shrimping, but it all depends on the Army Crops od Engineers have in mind. Shrimp prefer to lay their eggs in less salty water. After laying their eggs, they go out in the ocean, running out on the out-going tides.

I've seen shrimp run on any condition, and to catch them, you just got to be out there.
Fishing is ZEN

Catching is incidental

The sea, my church

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

gotants? wrote:First off, what iswith the comments Krash about illegals and FDA?
Sorry did not mean to offend anyone, could have written that comment a little more carefully.. for sure referring to wing netter's running with no commercial license.

What is the actual event that triggers them shrimps to decide to get up out of the grass and head for the ocean ?

gotants?
Old Salt

Post by gotants? »

I haven't kept up with the regs, but last time I was down there, the marine resources officers were checking boats on licenses. And even non-commercials can run wingnets, just have to stay to the limits, and have appropriate gear (like green over white lights at the highest point on a boat).
Fishing is ZEN

Catching is incidental

The sea, my church

gotants?
Old Salt

Post by gotants? »

68B-31.013 Southeast Region Food Shrimp Production Gear Specifications.
(1) No person shall harvest shrimp in the nearshore and inshore Florida waters of the Southeast Region as a food shrimp producer with any type of gear other than:
(a) A wing net meeting the following specifications:
1. No wing net shall have an opening larger than 28 feet around the perimeter.
2. No more than two unconnected wing nets shall be attached to or fished from a single vessel.
3. No wing net shall be fished by towing or dragging it over the bottom.
4. Each wing net shall be no larger in mesh area than specified by subsection 68B-31.0035(2), F.A.C.
(b) A frame net deployed from a vessel meeting the following specifications:
1. No frame net shall have an opening larger than 28 feet around the perimeter.
2. No more than one frame net shall be fished from a single vessel and no frame net shall be fished from a vessel also using wing nets.
3. No frame net shall be fished by towing or dragging it over the bottom.
4. Each frame net shall be no larger in mesh area than specified by subsection 68B-31.0035(2), F.A.C.
(2) In all waters of the Southeast Region outside nearshore and inshore Florida waters, no person harvesting shrimp as a food shrimp producer shall operate or fish any otter trawl, or possess any otter trawl that is rigged for fishing aboard any vessel, which trawl does not have a bycatch reduction device (BRD) installed therein meeting the requirements of Rule 68B-31.0045, F.A.C.
Specific Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. Law Implemented Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. History–New 1-1-92, Amended 1-1-96, 6-3-96, 8-17-98, Formerly 46-31.013.
Fishing is ZEN

Catching is incidental

The sea, my church

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

Anything yet? I am going crazy for shrimping!

:toast:
Kizer

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Will someone local in the 305 take a drive to Rickenbacker, walk the catwalk and see whats happening with this situation... Its a long mof drive for me form W. Broward, but if I hear of shrimp sightings moving with the outgoing tides.. I'll be down

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Moons right, weather is right.. but tides suck. Not sure what the high tide is at Rickenbacker but Gvmt cut its 2:30am/pm today..

A perfect weekend to hit the ramp at like 2am, hit the tide change, shrimp til the Sun comes up then head offshore... if the shrimp ain't running catch some live baits then head offshore.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Went last night.. tide was a bit early, but the run has started. We did close to 3 gallons, thats 2 people dipping from a boat. Ran good for about an hour and half starting at about 7:30 , slowed to nothing after that.

Talking about illegal, been to this same spot many many times and we joke about the total disrespect for the law in Dade county, saying anything goes down here in the 305.

FWC boat shows up last night on the scene, goes boat to boat checking nets. No courtesy safety check, no license check, not how many shrimps ya got.. just lets see your nets.

What is the Law in Dade County for recreational shrimpers ?

joshfishboy1819
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joshfishboy1819 »

looks like i will give it a try next weekend at hillsbaro inlet
anglins pier rat

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

I'm still trying to figure out whay there would be shrimp in Hillsbbourough.. Inlet, unless they are being swept in on the incomming ?

Where inside is there gras flats that would hold shrimp wanting to get out to the ocean.

released
Weekend Warrior

Post by released »

Haulover is running now, Lots of Tarpon holding on the bottom, where there is Tarpon the shrimp are close to busting on a nice run... That my guess anyway....

jshank
Fisher

Post by jshank »

krash wrote:Went last night.. tide was a bit early, but the run has started. We did close to 3 gallons, thats 2 people dipping from a boat. Ran good for about an hour and half starting at about 7:30 , slowed to nothing after that.

Talking about illegal, been to this same spot many many times and we joke about the total disrespect for the law in Dade county, saying anything goes down here in the 305.

FWC boat shows up last night on the scene, goes boat to boat checking nets. No courtesy safety check, no license check, not how many shrimps ya got.. just lets see your nets.

What is the Law in Dade County for recreational shrimpers ?
We went the following night (Sunday) off the wall (west side behind AA arena was fenced off so we went to the east side). Got 11 between 6:30 and 8:30 PM on the outgoing tide. Not 11 dozen. Just 11! Is that spot not so good? Are we better off in a boat? Where do you anchor?

jshank
Fisher

Post by jshank »

krash wrote:I'm still trying to figure out whay there would be shrimp in Hillsbbourough.. Inlet, unless they are being swept in on the incomming ?

Where inside is there gras flats that would hold shrimp wanting to get out to the ocean.
I've been wondering the same thing.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

krash wrote:I'm still trying to figure out whay there would be shrimp in Hillsbbourough.. Inlet, unless they are being swept in on the incomming ?

Not sure Sandy, but they have been there since I was a kid and started noticing them....some years in really strong #s.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

jshank
Fisher

Post by jshank »

Thinking of going tonight . Full moon from wed. Some rain today might help. But west wind not good. High tide at 10. Any thoughts?

Return to “Broward County”