Fort Lauderdale / LBTS Beach Fishing Reports 2010 to 2022

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
HJared
KING MACKEREL

Re: Fort Lauderdale / LBTS Beach Fishing Reports 2010-11-12

Post by HJared »

White bait should be around soon look for pods and cast your poppers or xrap in there or cast net live bait. Don't use squid on the beach. The fish follow the bait. Mullet should be coming soon as well so hopefully beach fishing will pickup in lauderdale

antoine rokomura
Fisher

Re: Fort Lauderdale / LBTS Beach Fishing Reports 2010 to 20

Post by antoine rokomura »

This past weekend, I was fishing on the beach in Fort Lauderdale (Galt Mile). It was a nice day and the beach was crowded, but nobody was in the water in my vicinity. A couple of Ft. Lauderdale police officers in an ATV drove up the beach with their lights flashing, and stopped behind me. They told me to stop fishing until after 5 pm.

I politely told them that I didn't think that was the rule, but they insisted I stop until after 5, because there were kids around. As I said, there was nobody in the water. The kids nearby were watching me fish, encouraging me to catch something good. I did stop fishing, because I wasn't about to start an argument with the police.

I have a copy of the Sun Sentinel article from 11/13/15, which says that fishing on the beach is unrestricted north of 23rd street. Is there any place on the city's web site which confirms this? I would have shown the article to the police if I'd had it on hand, and I guess I should keep it with me in the future.

I do not think the police showed up due to a complaint, because they continued up the beach with their lights flashing after they passed me. I think they were just patrolling the beach because there were a lot of people around, and maybe because of the beach replenishment. Maybe they thought they were doing my neighbors a favor by asking me to stop, but that is not the case. My neighbors all know me and know that I am careful when people are around. Some of them also like the fish I give them on occasion. If anyone is uncomfortable with something I'm doing, they would tell me directly.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

antoine rokomura wrote:
I have a copy of the Sun Sentinel article from 11/13/15, which says that fishing on the beach is unrestricted north of 23rd street. Is there any place on the city's web site which confirms this? I would have shown the article to the police if I'd had it on hand, and I guess I should keep it with me in the future.

I recommend to read this thread and you will know where you can fish and where you can't

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=34222&p=350190#p350190
viewtopic.php?f=125&t=34230

antoine rokomura
Fisher

I read those threads, and did not find exactly what I was looking for. There were, however, some links to other sources which I'll try to summarize here.

The main protection for beach finishing is given here:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/379.2351

To my understanding, it says local govt should not introduce new restrictions on fishing because of a zoning change, or because the public decides fishing is a nuisance. Local govt may require the use of "methods, structures, or appliances" to prevent fishing from becoming a nuisance. The wording of the statute seems to be oriented towards preventing a local govt from closing down a commercial operation. It also protects "recreational operations", but I have no idea what constitutes a recreational operation. The statute does not address preexisting restrictions, but rather the creation or expansion of new restrictions.

The state statute seems, in my opinion, to contradict the city's code:

https://www.municode.com/library/fl/fort_lauderdale/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=COOR_CH8BODOBEWA_ARTIIIPUBE_DIV2ESREUNSPMUPUBE_S8-75FI

This municipal code restricts fishing on the "public beach", which is defined here:

https://www.municode.com/library/fl/fort_lauderdale/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=COOR_CH8BODOBEWA_ARTIIIPUBE_DIV2ESREUNSPMUPUBE_S8-71PUBEDE

A summary of the areas and times affected by this municipal code are summarized in this article in the sun sentinel:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/outdoors/fl-outdoors-beach-fishing-1113-20151112-story.html

The followup article after the ordinance was rejected is here:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/outdoors/fl-outdoors-fishing-report-1118-20151117-story.html

Curiously, the second article specifically excludes any mention of what regulations, if any, apply north of Oakland Park Blvd.

In reading through the threads mentioned above, my best guess is that the existing local ordinance has never been challenged in court. Another possibility, I guess, is that the local municipal code predates the state statute.

If anyone can offer corrections, clarifications, or additions to this, please chime in.
{In order to include these links, I had to check the "disable bbcode" and "do not parse urls" boxes. Without doing that, all the links get shortened and broken}

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

The link would not work without a subscription to the paper

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

You can fish from Oakland park blvd to NE 23rd st. Galt mile seems outside of this...

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

O P is like 40th. so we are talking only 17 (40-23) blocks to try and find an access ?

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Yes, but it is unlimited fishing access of 24/7/365 day over there...

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

They messed up lauderdale beqch adding sand I walked for hpurs and 6 fleas fuk. Anyone know any other spots

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Dania bxh

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

SaltyDog wrote:Dania bxh
Last time I went they were extremely tiny maybe they grew up

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

HJared wrote:They messed up lauderdale beqch adding sand I walked for hpurs and 6 fleas fuk
:mad: :mad: :mad:

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

I think it's time to start building that flea farm.
Fish Crazy

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

shos260288 wrote:I think it's time to start building that flea farm.

Wouldn't have this problem if he would have just listen.

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

try by the pompano pier or down by the newport pier, I have not tried those spots in a while but they usually are pretty good

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Thanks

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

First it was the turtles, now it the owner of Sublime restaurant trying to close the beach to fishing. Not sure where you were but if you're north 23rd fishing is and always has been unlimited by state law. They didn't pass the new ordinance proposed last year because they legally could not. COFL has no authority to regulate fishing. Their authority over the beach is limited to the guarded areas. In this case, up to 23rd street. The beach north of 23rd is unregulated.

Each beach front community has to apply to the state to govern beach areas. That governance is limited to guarded (life guards & towers) beach areas only.

Still a grey area in many ways. State law says only FWC can regulate fishing. State constitution clearly states the beach belongs to the state, and fishing is one of 3 specific items listed in its use by the public.

Several years ago we killed all beach shark fishing ban's in the state by linforming the city attorney's in those towns of their limited authority over both the beach and fishing from shore.

Here's city code. http://www.fortlauderdale.gov/departmen ... egulations
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Stubbs
Fisher

Post by Stubbs »

That code doesn't mention the 24 hour fishing zone at all, only the 5 blocks south of it

"7.4 The following beach regulations are intended to reduce safety hazards which may cause injury to beach patrons:

7.4(a) Playing ball, Frisbee, flying kites, or any other game that may endanger patrons on the beach or in the water, is limited to designated times and areas as posted or as determined by park officials.

7.4(b) Fishing or netting of fish is limited to the hours of 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 a.m. when on the beach and must be conducted in a safe manner. All debris, bait, fish line and hooks, and other fishing equipment or tackle must be removed from the beach after fishing has been conducted.

Exception: Surf fishing is limited to the hours of 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. in the area between NE 18 Street to NE 23 Street only."

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Exactly! If it's not mentioned in the regulation, that makes it UN-regulated. The whole purpose of the meeting covered in the SS article was to impose regulation on the beaches north of 23rd.

Jack Seller was never going to pass it anyway. He opposed the change from the start. He's dealt with the owner of Sublime before. Last time, she tried to force a health warning for restaurants around hers. She formed a group of vegan doctors who decided chicken causes cancer. And wanted all local restaurants to label chicken dishes accordingly.

The only reason she even got a hearing was her political contribution to Trantelas. She pretty much owns the goof.

South of 23rd you're subject to regulation time limits. North of 23rd you're on your own!

Fact is you can fish anywhere in the state not specifically restricted. They don't really tell you where you can fish, regulations tend to only address areas you can't. There are exceptions of course but for the most part that's pretty much the case.

With turtle season comes light regs for beaches at night as well. If you're gonna fish the beach, make sure you have approved lighting. (Listed at FWC) that is a state reg so it all applies to all beaches in the state.
Some of the turtle watchers will simply make you aware of the nest, others will try to run you off. You're not violating anything beach fishing during turtle season, Provided you're using proper lighting.

Now the important part, if someone decides to call police on you, immediately call FWC and report them. FWC gets a bit testy when anyone else tries to do their job. Or so they told us.

Ask Tommy what happened to him. It's a great story that ends with everyone including the Mayor calling him to apologize for the "misunderstanding". And it never happened again!

Stubbs
Fisher

Post by Stubbs »

So does the 24 hour fishing zone not fall under the area for that code? It says fishing from the beach is allowed from 6pm-8am only, except from 18-23 st which is 4pm-8am.

So that would lead me to believe that anywhere other than 18-23 st falls under the general rule of 6pm-8am based on how it's written. Why is there no exception to 7.4(b) referring to 23-40 st?

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Simple answer, the city does not have an SLL (State of Florida "Submerged Land Lease") on the beach north of 23rd.

Simple answer part 2. If the section of beach north of 23rd were included in the reg already, why were we meeting about it in the first place? Whole point of the city of Fort Lauderdale public comments meeting last year was to oppose the proposed extension of the time restriction. It never went any further than that PC meet.

Don't know what else to tell you other than call FWC.

Stubbs
Fisher

Post by Stubbs »

I understand why the meeting was held, but I just didn't understand the code's boundaries and why there was not a specific exception written for 23-40 but you cleared that up explaining the lack of a SLL. Thanks for the clarification

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Fished 5 mins set up my rods seaweed sucked packed up ad went home #the struggle is real. Lauderdale by the sea surf seems to stack weeds worse than anywhere consistantly.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Just that time of year J. Try casting Artie's around the weeds. Doc's goofy jigs 5/8 or more or
Geoffs Ball jigs. Orange,mellow, and green/chartreuse all good colors.

antoine rokomura
Fisher

Re: Fort Lauderdale "public beach"

This has already been answered, but I would just add that the link I gave above defining the public beach says this:

'south of the southern boundary line of "Lauderdale Beach," according to the plat thereof' , and then refers to a page in a book of public records for Broward County. I believe this refers to the big stone sign on NE 27th & A1A which says "Lauderdale Beach", but I'm not sure.

antoine rokomura
Fisher

The one that shoulda got away

I caught this on Thursday with a Mustad size 8 sabiki rig. I think it weighs about 8 pounds, 14" to the fork. Is it a Crevalle Jack?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-MtVszlAGDZw/Vwm8Gkt3ggI/AAAAAAAABCM/nxy_xr2jBiY_f7ZGrROMGbUQnZd0rSZ9A/w776-h303-no/jack.jpg
Here's a video of me landing it:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2S_C5INeyVrTXlKM0RsN2RGT2c

The story is that I was fishing all afternoon, and was ready to call it a day. My bait was all thawed and refrozen too many times, so I needed to get rid of it. I threw half a pound of whole shrimp, one bait squid, and half a ballyhoo into a bucket, and carried it out past the shore break. Carried a rod with me too, with a bait catching rig on it. I figured the dead bait might attract whiting or something. So I dumped the bait out, plopped the rig down on the same spot, and walked back to the sand with the bale open. Then I waited...

Why is it that people in the ocean have an uncanny nack for swimming over a fisherman's line? Two minutes later, there is a middle aged house frau wading nearby, and a geriatric guy obliviously swimming freestyle past my spot. That's when I got the hit, and I was sure I had hooked this swimmer. Playing out line like crazy, and I'm feeling awful about it. I never hooked anyone before, as I hear people make poor table fare :) . However, the swimmer doesn't seem to notice, and I see the line is playing out in a different direction than he is swimming.

However, it is going more or less right at the woman nearby, and soon enough it crosses her. I knew at this point it was a fish and a big one, so when she gave me the evil eye I just shouted out an apology and explained that I could not make the fish behave. She grabbed my line and lifted it over and around herself, and then I was able to lead the fish away down the beach. I thought I might have lost it at that point, but when I took up the slack it was still on.

Obviously, I can not just haul this thing in on a bait rig, so I have to keep the drag loose and play it for a while. Long enough for a crowd to form, and for a helpful stranger to get the video. It made a bunch of runs, and one of them took nearly all the line off my spool. I thumbed the line lightly at that point, just to discourage it from running so fast.

When it got tired I was able to find a good wave to ride it up onto the beach, and that was when I was most worried about it breaking off. It was probably wrapped around the bait rig for a while, but when I freed it there was just a single #8 hooked near the base of its pectoral fin. I got it back into the water, past the shore break, within about 5 minutes. It was disoriented at first, but swam tiredly away from shore after a bit.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

Dude your story and your video is hilarious! I lost it at "yellowfin tuna" Either way nice catch of a Jack Crevalle on sabiki rig. :toast:

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Yes it is a cravalle, you must have been hoping for something better the lady gave you bad juju

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

"i dont think thats a dolphin"

:lol:

Angler1971
Fisher

Post by Angler1971 »

Windy and wet! Weather sucks but the bite is on. 3 snook so far this morning using a Spooltek blind casting. Oakland Park north of vista Park. No bait seen yet on the beach. Hoping the wind brings Mullet in this afternoon.

Return to “Broward County”