Where NOT to get fishing tackle: Why to avoid Walmart

Please post Businesses that cater to us and are helpful in the area and Boatless Fishing related links here with a detailed title thanks.
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Where NOT to get fishing tackle: Why to avoid Walmart

Post by fishnfool73 »

Yes that did while at the same time profiting from selling fishing tackle.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

I refuse to go there and I won't let my family go there either. While Sam Walton was alive, it was a good place to work. Since his death in 92, it's become one of if not the worst employer in the country, as well as the largest part time no benefit employer now.
Take a look inside your new wm bought Shimano reels and you'll find substandard parts made in China. It's the only way they can sell them so cheap. The damage they've done to the US economy in terms of unfair practices and low paying mostly part time job's is only part of the story. They've created a culture of "If I can't buy it for the same price as wall mart sell's it, it must be a rip off". They do have a major problem right now. The Mexican bribery scandal is likely to cost them hundreds of millions in fees and fines.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

goodolmikey
Seasoned Fisher

Post by goodolmikey »

I once bought a baitrunner 6500 at k-mart when they were on sale,,I needed 4 of them but k-mart only had 1 so I went to bass pro with my k-mart receipt and they matched the price ,, you just have to go to the customer service desk and ask if they will match the price. personally I stop in just about every tackle shop I come along when out just to see whats out there,,,, you cant buy daffy jigs,, gog bugs,,, and alot of other things that we fish locally at the big box stores

Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL

Post by Sirsnookalot »

The saltwater section at Walmart certainly isn't what it used to be. I have a Walmart open 24/7 on the way to my favorite fishing haunts, I usually head out about 3:30 am. I can pick up an X-rap, mirrorlures, bomber lures and DOA products, it isn't price for me it's convenience. Buying live bait is of no concern to me, I fish artificial, for the rare time I do fish bait I catch my own. I do not buy rods and reels there but have bought Power pro there, never getting an inferior spool. I know some of the bass guys on other forums would never buy line there, but you know how anal they are over a 2# fish, like a LMB is going to snap 65# braid.
Most every thing I use I buy at my local tackle shop, good quality swivels, lead at half the price, hooks, and everything is in stock and much of it is bought by the piece, not packaged. I fish very simple, lures, spoons, bucktails some soft plastics, I pretty much buy them where I can.
The only Walmart complaint is a lack of stock.

GROUPER SCOOPER
Weekend Warrior

Post by GROUPER SCOOPER »

mogenmyle wrote:the walton family donate money too anti-fishing funds thats enough for me

Ding Ding Ding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's ironic don't ya think?

The $ you work for and then turn around and spend at wallyworld..........goes towards things such as the above quoted post.

Google is your friend....well kinda.....nosey bastages.

Wallyworld has donated MILLIONS to the cause of stopping people like you an i from fishing.

F$#K Wallyworld!!!!!

I'm a WW hater.

GROUPER SCOOPER
Weekend Warrior

But anti-smokin ads aren't "donations".

To me anti-smokin ads are there just to make it look like tabacco co. actually give a crap.

But by donating tells me that you have the same belief.

GROUPER SCOOPER
Weekend Warrior

:elephant: To Big to Fail :elephant:

Sadly i feel this way myself.Guess all i can really do is roll wit da punches till i check out.

@ Strizile.....i feel ya bro.Thing is... that is one hell of a image to polish yanno.If i was to donate to a no kill animal shelter it should be apparent that i don't believe in killin stray animals.But if i gave my moolah to a kill shelter it would be quite obvious what my beliefs are like.

$$$$$ rules an WW has plenty to spare.

I wonder how much improvement there would be for the U.S. if WW did as Striz states.

Make any and every thing to do with the company 100% American. :patriot: I feel it would be a HUGE start in the right direction for sure.

GROUPER SCOOPER
Weekend Warrior

strizile wrote:
GROUPER SCOOPER wrote: Make any and every thing to do with the company 100% American. :patriot: I feel it would be a HUGE start in the right direction for sure.
WORD
:toast:

prod1944
Fisher

Post by prod1944 »

Buy at yellow bait house Homestead. Prices same as Wally world or cheaper. Formely Jacks bait and tackle.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

I've been reading scores of reports from whistle blowers at the management level about how w/m will write up any manager that allows their part time employees to reach minimum legal benefit hours.

I'm also reading from credible sources now that the previous stories about how much the average w/m costs taxpayers in welfare benefits, 900+ thousand per store, is accurate. Combine that with the corporate tax breaks they enjoy by keeping both the corporate as well as personal holdings offshore, and it over doubles the 900+k amount. Most stores in RTW states don't even have workers comp insurance, most RTW states don't require it.

As a company, w/m has done more to promote the Chinese economy than any other corporation or nation on the planet. In 09 w/m slashed orders for all products including everything Made in China. The same day, the value of the Yuan (Chinese dollar equ.) plummeted in foreign markets, before even China had a chance to devalue it!

It's also a fact that w/m is directly responsible for the migration of just over 2 million US manufacturing jobs. That's according to the congressional research office.

Bottom line, w/m resembles a parasite so closely it's scary. I really hope they raise the federal minimum wage for everybody! No more tip dependent minimum. Solves allot of problems.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

I am all for supporting local tackle shops however, i have bills to pay and food to buy and goign out isnt exactly cheap for me, on the boat or just a night out at the pier.... so i need to be thrifty.

I went to buy some stuff at a tackle shop the other day...AFTER i hit walmart for my sabikis and hooks and swivels which i never have issues with any of that stuff when i buy it there.. i also purchased a king spoon and some lures they had on sale...i bought the same vert jig at walmart for 3 dollars that i paid 11 for in the keys.. F#% THAT!!! you want business at your tackle shop give us fair prices not jacked up cause youre a "specialty store"
also, i forgot to get a law stick causei lost mine somewhere...walmart did not have them this time and i could have got the sticker for the boat there but all they had was the gulf one for some reason...i went to the tackle shop and the same sticker was freaking ten bucks!!!! HELL NO DUDE. that is ridiculous. no offense to said tackle shop but that is quite the mark up....
I shop walmart for price, for convenience (all night anytime).
when i need live bait like shrimp i go to the bait shop but they all close fairly early so that is a fail too. sorry but i need my money for other thigns and i want to fish so walmart it is most of the time...and bass pro is way too far form my current living quarters so so be it..
i get msot stuff i need at walmart and if nto ill go to the tackle shop when need be

Sandy Feet
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sandy Feet »

OK , Now for my 2 cents . Stop and think about it , with an open mind . Why should Wal Mart buy products from a higher priced source , when they can buy the identical product cheaper , from someone else ? Granted they may be coming from foreign sources , but why is that ? Could it be that the companies that used to be in the USA were taxed to a point where they moved offshore , so they could remain in business ? Could it be that the unions , with their "Me Me " attitude , just drove up the wages and benefits to a point where these companies had to raise prices , in order to remain in business ? Could it be that these inflated prices made their products too spendy for a large portion of the general public ? There really isn't an easy answer to the problem . We definitely need tax reform , in this country , in order to make it more profitable for a company to stay in the USA . This alone would not only bring lower prices , but would bring jobs back home , that had been driven off , because of taxes and labor costs . I fall into the group that has to price shop . Not because I particularly like doing that , but because I simply don't have the coins to pay premium prices . Wal Mart is filling a nitch in the business world . If you can afford to pay top prices , more power to you , but don't bad mouth Wal Mart . They are trying to make a living , just like the rest of us , and if it wasn't for them , I and millions of others , like me would be worse off than we already are .

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

LIKE BUTTON ^^^

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Sandy Feet wrote:OK , Now for my 2 cents . Stop and think about it , with an open mind . Why should Wal Mart buy products from a higher priced source , when they can buy the identical product cheaper , from someone else ? Granted they may be coming from foreign sources , but why is that ? Could it be that the companies that used to be in the USA were taxed to a point where they moved offshore , so they could remain in business ? Could it be that the unions , with their "Me Me " attitude , just drove up the wages and benefits to a point where these companies had to raise prices , in order to remain in business ? Could it be that these inflated prices made their products too spendy for a large portion of the general public ? There really isn't an easy answer to the problem . We definitely need tax reform , in this country , in order to make it more profitable for a company to stay in the USA . This alone would not only bring lower prices , but would bring jobs back home , that had been driven off , because of taxes and labor costs . I fall into the group that has to price shop . Not because I particularly like doing that , but because I simply don't have the coins to pay premium prices . Wal Mart is filling a nitch in the business world . If you can afford to pay top prices , more power to you , but don't bad mouth Wal Mart . They are trying to make a living , just like the rest of us , and if it wasn't for them , I and millions of others , like me would be worse off than we already are .
Na, it's just greed. Look at Costco. Fact is under pressure, w/m is launching a multi billion dollar "Made in America" campagin. I think what everybody forgets about the .com boom, unemployment was the lowest in 40 years, but because IT positions were in such demand, everybody was making good money and paying taxes on those sweet pay checks. It's really not that hard to balance the budget when way more people are paying in than collecting benefits. If you don't think your worth a decent pay check, fine. Don't undercut mine. Or better yet, if you want to work for less so your bosses can have more, you ain't to bright now are you? That's the way this whole situation should be viewed in my opinion. Do a little research in American labor history. You'll find pretty quickly, this battle has been going on for over a century. Think about this, w/m won't raise pay or benefits, but they'll spend millions lobbing against labor law, not to mention the Presidents NLRB pick. The latest was a memo circulated by w/m corporate. The memo threatens all store managers with disciplinary action if ANY employee makes minimum benefit hours. Not only that, the store managers penalise any employee who does not agree to open scheduling, meaning they can work any time the store wants. Wouldn't be a problem for a full time employee with one job, but 40% of w/m employees work 2 jobs. With the 4 hours a day X 5 days schedule in use, a second job is at best difficult. Look, companies & corporations have to be profitable, I fully agree. But when you have the situations going on today, companies posting record profits and CEO's as well as upper management, making obscene saliry's in addition to ridiculous bonuses, while paying everyone else so far below the poverty line that my tax dollar has to subsidize these people's incomes just so their kids eat regularly, well, that simply can't be allowed to stand.

Sandy Feet
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sandy Feet »

jettypark28 wrote:It's a simple fix> If you believe Walmart is the evil empire then just don't shop there :cheers:

I know I have said this before (my sister is a store manager for wallyworld on the
west coast/over 20 yrs with them) and she can't stand them now...
but after 20yr what can you do, can't quit because people still have bills...

and as far as labor laws/part time... well hell every!!! every big company does the same...

Hell Disney is suppose to be a family base company... Bull #@!$ crap!!! I know a bunch
of company Disney has ruined... I also work for Disney for awhile and saw how the
Union works with Disney :mad: guess what Disney has cut back hours on everybody
and almost Everybody is a Part time worker with different hours every week...

Hell if Walt was alive today he would close the gates at Disney.... because that isn't
a family base company anymore....

Why did I jump off wally world....well because if you are going to bit#@ about one
company.... then yell and holler about all of them...

and again it all falls back on US!!.... quit buying at wallyworld if you believe they
are the only evil empire out there...LOL wallyworld doesn't have chit on Disney
when it comes to sh@#$ their workers.... and people still paid close to $100
for a one day pass ..... and we are bit#hing about Wallyworld.... LOL... :nilly:

and no I didn't jump off topic> others did first... My first reply> Walmart has all my
fishing needs at any hour> and if the local BT shops are going to charge a extra
$3 (or higher) on sinkers/hooks/line/leaders... then i'm buying at wallyworld plus
if need be, I can buy a host of other chit to make my fishing trip run smoothly...
Also I have close to 1hr drive to the coast> I pass a handful of OPEN wally worlds..
by the time I get to the coast all the BT are closed...

I know I'm a Ahole for not giving back to the BT guy.... but hmmmmmm I have bills
to paid also... and if I can save a few $$$ here and there... then guess what i'm going

X2
to do it... I'm crazy that way :roll:

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Well, on some points I agree jetty. My point is like w/m, many companies and corporations today are spending millions lobbing the gov against labor but they can't afford to give their employees a cost of living raise. In 09 boat US implemented a wage freeze because "the economy was slow". Then they embarked on the repossession's. Over twice the number of tows a day for almost 2 full years. On what planet is that "slow"?
Here's the thing, IF w/m did pay 10.65 an hour and made 80% of their workforce full time with benefits, do you know what the Walton family members would do without? Not one single thing they have now. The only time they would notice, is when they looked at their bank accounts. They may have 10 million less each. So instead of 100 million in the offshore bank, there'd be 90 million. Simply put, if every member of the Walton family just blew a million a month, even at 10.65 an hour, no member of the Walton family would ever run out of money. Yet this same bunch will begrudge a decent wage for their employees. This is about GREED! Nothing more. As you said Jetty, not everyone can just quit. I never hesitated because there were always a dozen jobs waiting for me in my field. Not everyone has that luxury. Especially over the last 5 years. It really doesn't take much to see what's going on here is nothing more than a corporate sponsord republican effort to set labor back decades. The sooner we get rid of them the better off the American worker will be.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

crashmister wrote:I never hesitated because there were always a dozen jobs waiting for me in my field.
Hey crash, just curious, what field are you in?

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

I hope you are not so blind that youthink its only Walmart, HD & Lowes run using the same business model, and so does OutdoorWorld/BPS.

I work in the tech field, routers/switches/fiberoptics and all that design and manufacturing has been moved offshore, putting people like myself out of work.
Companies like Cisco & Oracle have even moved their corporate home to foriegn countries so as to evade US taxes, long before Obama became President.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Jetty, that's the whole point! W/m would not have to raise prices at all. In fact studies show, in pretty much every case, people who work at a major chain store, shop there. Overwhelmingly, the more these employees make, the more they spend. While I can't find a spread of hard data to back it up, a host of credible business men including Warren Buffet agree, done right, W/m would get back as much as 60% of those pay increases in employee purchases. Jetty the whole argument here is about rich people blaming the "poor", while making hundreds of millions a year, then paying those same "poor"people so far below poverty level they have no choice but to get welfare. They drilled a hole in the boat and can't figure out why it's sinking. Or so they want us to believe. Pretty sure they know exactly what their doing.

Yeah republicans are directly to blame here Jetty, they relentlessly blame OB but the truth is their economy speaks for it self. And they have done nothing to even try to improve it. Even after its been proven now, the tricle down economic model is fundamentally flawed at its core. Not making this up here, the republican "cut everything" austerity budgets are fatally flawed in the EXCEL spread sheet programming. It's way to complicated for me to explain in detail so the short version, EXCEL is Microsofts spread sheet program. You set it up by items. Each item is given a value, in this case, a dollar amount. The MIT academics study found several errors in these values. Once corrected, in every case, austerity budgets become exactly what they were in Europe, an economic disaster. Now look at the influence the corporate lobby, which w/m spends millions a year to help fund along with several other major corporations that make up what's known as the US Chamber of commerce. The USCoC and their lobbyist's were essential in pushing the same tax cut, low pay, high growth mistake here. So in the end, as much as w/m is a major part of the problem, they really only foster a bigger problem in US politics. MONEY, and the influence it buys, is the foundation of our political woes. Always has been, but never more than now. We get money in all forms out of politics, we've got a chance. As it is now, we're screwed.

Return to “Businesses and helpful Links that cater to our needs.”