whats in your tackle box ?

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
mikeypbg
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mikeypbg »

This is a great idea and a sticky is definitely the way to do it. Tommy has done a great job on the "How to fish the keys bridges" thread, but I think this is a great idea, ESPECIALLY if we could get someone to do a visual graphic of it.

This is a huge idea nature boy. Lets see if the people on here and the site management can get it all together. This could be HUGE!!!

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I'll take a few pictures of my gear later, basically I have a big heavy duty duffel bag with lots of pockets, and a bunch of plastic boxes I swap out depending on type of fishing. The main big pocket holds the boxes which have my lures, hooks/swivels/jigs, and weights, the outside pockets hold everything else (line/leader), flashlights, knives, gloves, aerators, sabikis, pliers, boga grip, etc, etc, etc.

IM CHUMMING
- Who Run It -

Post by IM CHUMMING »

HOLY CRAP PP... thats a lot of lead to be carrying on your shoulder.. hope you have a cart!!

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

I have too much crap to carry without, I actually use a sturdy wheeled cooler and strap all my gear on top of it...works really well.

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

I carry a tackle bag/box that is carried on the shoulder. Frees a hand.

1st Level
Circle Hooks Sizes 1.0-6.0, 10-11
J Hooks Sizes 1-6
Various Rapalas, Bucktails, & Gotcha's
Swivels & Beads
Splitshots

2nd Level
Floats and Various Lead 1oz - 6oz

3rd Level
Jig Heads and Artificals of varying colors & styles

There's also a pouch inside that carries, sabiki's, various set ups, any artificials I haven't opened, a law stick, and a digital scale.

In the two outside pouches I carry leader(fluoro and mono), bug spray, flashlight, and plastic garbage bag.

I usually carry a fillet knife and pliers on my waist.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

mikeypbg
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mikeypbg »

Those pics are great. If everyone will do that, we are well on our way.

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

as many have noticed with me i have a pretty empty tackle box. I refrain from taking stuff with me unless i know im going to use it. Being on a pier all day there are to many people who ask for gotchas and such, which becomes a nusance. I find myself actually using the stuff i buy with my own money rather than letting someone else. Im not greedy but fishing is expensive and i dont see why you would need to carry 7 rapalas in the same bag.

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

i have shoe boxes at home filled with tackle and i fill up my tackle bag with what i need depending on where i am going

mikeypbg
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mikeypbg »

frentals wrote:as many have noticed with me i have a pretty empty tackle box. I refrain from taking stuff with me unless i know im going to use it. Being on a pier all day there are to many people who ask for gotchas and such, which becomes a nusance. I find myself actually using the stuff i buy with my own money rather than letting someone else. Im not greedy but fishing is expensive and i dont see why you would need to carry 7 rapalas in the same bag.
I hear what you are saying about those that want to borrow Vik, but karma will eventually pay forward. Im cautious about lending tackle but hey, we never have all that we need anyway and what you forgot, someone else remembers.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

you know i hate when someone asks for a sinker
its 25 cents an ounce that gets pricey
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

.25 an ounce? Your paying too much...

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

My lightweight tackle bag.

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

bolo wrote:My lightweight tackle bag.

nice pliers

miamisurfer
Weekend Warrior

Post by miamisurfer »

Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Be prepared...

Post by Pier#r »

A few months ago I took a picture of mine and did an inventory
(for insurance purposes :wink:

Pier#r's Tackle Box

Top Tray (back L-R)
Hook Box: Top 12 compartments with about 10 single hooks each (different styles & sizes)
Bottom compartments have about 6 1/2 ounce leadhead pompano jigs
and several packs of splitshots and some 1/2 ounce egg sinkers.
Trimming scissors, pack of #8 gold hooks, Dial-a-pak splitshot sinkers, baggie with 6 packs of assorted hooks and a 7" blade stainless steel filet knife.
Swivel/Sinker Box: Top 12 compartments with about 10 each assorted sizes and styles of swivels
Bottom compartments have various splitshots and small egg sinkers.
Top Tray (front L-R)
Sharpening stone, cloth measuring tape, Swiss Army Knife, Carmex Lipbalm, 5" blade stainless filet knife.

2nd Tray (L-R)
1st compartment: Rodtip repair kit (2 tip tops, rod glue, lighter) Reel lube, small screwdrivers, Penn Reel Wrench.
2nd & 3rd compartments: Assorted styrofoam floats, extra pegs, beads and "bobber stoppers".
4th compartment: 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 ounce lead jigheads
5th & 6th: Fishbites (several assorted flavours)
7th: used Sabiki baitcatchers (on styrofoam insulation strips)
8th: two Top Dawg Jrs
9th: 2 Yozurri stickbaits and a Mirrolure Catch 2000

3rd Tray (L-R)
1st compartment: bell sinkers (2 & 3 ounces) (4 each)
2nd: bell sinkers: 1 1/2 and 1 ounce (5 each)
3rd: bell sinkers: 3/4 and 1/2 ounce (10 each)
4th: Assorted pyramid sinkers (3, 2, 1 ounce) (3 each)
5th: Assorted BB splitshots (about 5 packs, removable & non-removable)
6th: 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 ounce egg sinkers (10 each)
7th: 1 and 1 1/2 ounce egg sinkers (5 each)
8th: 2 & 3 ounce egg sinkers (4 each)

Bottom: (front L-R)
2 Cajun Thunder floats and a baggie with 5 or 6 assorted DOA Shrimp
5-tray box with about 25 assorted spoons (Sidewinder, Krocodile, Kastmaster, Johnson Sprite, etc)
5-tray box with about 60 assorted size and color lead jigheads (1/2, 3/8, 1/4, 1/8 ounce in red & white)
6-tray box with assorted Mirrolures (2 Glad shads, 2 7Ms, 4 MirroMinnows, 4 TTs, 52M & Heddon Super Spook Jr)
5-tray box (divided) for assorted treblehooks (#2, #4, #6, #8 in 2X and 4X)
5-tray box with about 40 assorted 3" grubs (Fin-S and Bass Assassin) & 1/4 & 1/8 ounce lead jigheads (20)
Clip-on polorized sunglasses, 6" needle-nosed pliers, Berkley 50# digital fishscale

Outside:
3 packs Berkley Gulp Shrimp (2" & 3")
10 packs assorted 4" & 3" Fin-S lures

'Stuff' I took out:
More pyramid, egg, bank and bell sinkers (1-5 ounces)
2 Glad Shads, 2 Johnson Sprite Spoons
a bag with 6 assorted Speck Rigs
a bag with 6 assorted Sabiki Rigs
5-tray box (with 3 each) assorted Gotcha Plug lures

Gotcha
KING MACKEREL

Post by Gotcha »

you gotta be kidding me?

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Gotcha wrote:you gotta be kidding me?
You got it Gotcha. In order to catch fish you need to start out with the right tackle. If you need any other pointers just speak up.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

Gotcha
KING MACKEREL

Post by Gotcha »

james380 wrote:
Gotcha wrote:you gotta be kidding me?
You got it Gotcha. In order to catch fish you need to start out with the right tackle. If you need any other pointers just speak up.
pointer listen you don't even know me so you listen to me all that is overkill.but you guys just keep doing what your doing . GOOD LUCK

SteveOnLBI
Fisher

Post by SteveOnLBI »

Wow! Great site and great info for us new to bridge fishing.

I fish some pretty long (1/2 mile+) jetties up in Jersey and have used my daughter's old school backpacks to carry stuff out. Frees the hands for rods, 5-gal bucket, and maybe some fish! (I just ignore the looks when I'm using the Mickey Mouse backpak).

On flat surfaces, like piers, I also use the cooler-on-wheels with my stuff strapped on it - have also rigged up a couple of plastic rod holders to it to free the hands better.

One last small thing I have found very handy all over: from workbench to boat to surf to pier to beach buggy: cut a piece of one of those foam "noodles" the kids use in the pool -- about $1 each -- and attach it so a surface (nails, glue, plastic hose straps, split it halfway, etc) to stick lures into and keep them handy. Especially those you've used and need to wash off later, or if you change a lot like I do.

budman
Seasoned Fisher

Post by budman »

sponsored by: APAT Designer Services

ILovePinkFish
Fisher

Post by ILovePinkFish »

budman's tacklebox rocks lol

kidfisher10
Seasoned Fisher

Re: whats in your tackle box ?

Post by kidfisher10 »

ok i have a back back with 3 or 4 big boxes depending on what fish are hitting or if im fishing pier or surf and always 2 tiny boxes.
1 big tackle box has hardbaits. 1 big tackle box has jigs. and one big one has stuff that i never used before or just my go to lures( silver x rap). my two tiny boxes have terminal tackle lick some weights, swivels, beads, and bobbers..... hope this helps somebody :patriot:
Fish or die!!!!!!!!

Local66
KING MACKEREL

Post by Local66 »

I pack light and fish heavy. I keep my bag under 5lbs. Bombers, swimbaits, bucktails, and a spool of 60lb Momoi for Inlet shenannigans. Toenail clippers and a hookfile in my back pocket. On the flats I pack lighter, a couple spoons, a couple high roller chug rollers, a couple packs of strike kings and some jigheads. As far as general storeage goes, I have 2 dresser drawers full of crap. I keep the important stuff in boxes, the crap goes in a big pile.

Local66
KING MACKEREL

Post by Local66 »

jettypark28 wrote:How fast do you change to another lure when you are working a area???
I am thinking about throwing more lures, i fish my livebait at times just like a lure.

I have alot more areas now that i need to be able to get in and get out ninja style :wink:
Can't do this too well with livebait :nilly: :toast:

Depends, if I'm at the inlet and I know I working the right drift and it's not getting results, I switch. Honestly, if I can't get them to hit a pink bucktail/6" chartreuse swimbait/yellow bomber 16A, I'll usually call it a night. Your bases are pretty much covered with those 3. Flats are far easier to get dialed in, you can see the fish and watch their reactions when you present your lures.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

jettypark also has night vision gogs and some of the black grease he smears on his face stashed in a side pocket. His drags even have a silent mode. That is some nice sounding missions he goes on. Fishing at it's best adventure.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Local66
KING MACKEREL

Post by Local66 »

Jettypark- The swimbaits are berkly powerbaits, they're almost 7.00 for 3 of them, but I think they're worth it. The hooks on the calcuttas & storms are so bad they're almost worthless, they'll bend out on anything over slot.

As far as knowing when to throw what at SI, just keep your eyes on conditions. I always take a walk up to the catwalk to get a good look at the water before I even get rigged up. Dirty water- dark plugs W/ rattles. Clear water- Bucktails, or white/red windcheater. Green water- swimbaits or chartreuse bucktails. It's never that simple, but it gives you somewhere to start.

Get a bag and keep 3 or 4 windcheaters with you, if I had to pick an "anytime/anyplace" snook lure, it would be the windcheater hands down.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

Hey jettypark28.

SEMPER FI Buddy, Semper Fi. :salut:
It is a far better thing to have caught and lost, than to have never caught at all.
Courage is not a lack of fear, but the ability to act while facing fear

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”