Penn Battle for jigging ?

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Penn Battle for jigging ?

Post by fishnfool73 »

My buddy is looking for a budget jigging reel. For anyone that fishes them is there a drag difference in the 6000 and 8000 ? Braid capacity won't be an issue either way so just the ease of jigging in size if drag isn't an issue.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Re: Penn Battle for jigging ?

Post by Miami_Chris »

Go daiwa bg bro. Same price point reel, with same pot metal gears, but the daiwa main gear is almost double the size of the battle. It'll hold up better.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

He is buying it with a gift certificate from BPS so hope they carry them.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I have a 6k, and a few 4ks that I keep on the boat for guests to fish with, so they don't mess up my good inshore setups.

They are not bad but you get what you pay for. Caught a few nice snook on the 6k, and tons of pompano and sheephead on the 4ks. I've also caught a few kings on the 6k, but I've never hammered down the drag like for jigging. But they loose their smoothness pretty quick.

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Not sure how they might have improved over the years. I just know that the bails are so la-la. Had a roller blow up on 4k and 6k. Other than that good reals considering the price. As far as I know the drag is the same on 4k 6k.

Handles are a point where I would not use them to jig, but then again that is more of a personal preference.

But hey gift certificate right.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”