Another mini boatless boat trip?

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
Rare
SHARKER

Another mini boatless boat trip?

Post by Rare »

So, you say you need more boat trip with the group? Next year trip on the pulley ridge too far away (360 days but who's counting) A new faces or 2 fishing?

I texted a few of the usual suspects for a slow jigging trip. Just threw it out there and so far we came with a October trip (date TBA later) on the reward won with Capt. Wayne. Now, this is a jigging trip. Slow jigging, fast jigging etc. No bait trip. I know, WTF no bait? These trips have been done before but i like the slow pitch slow jigging style for this trip. Working the bottom fish vs the other fish in fast jigging. This will be a Sat trip and I believe there is a max of 12+ on this boat. We have 6 so far already, in less than an hour time after the trip was talked about. Again this is just talk and we will get more info when capt. Wayne is reached. We just spoke about this less than an hour ago or so. If you are interested say hi here.

Yo rare, why no bait? I saw you on the yankee trip with 2 jigging rod and you didnt jig at all!!!
Yeah, I know and this is the reason why this will be jigging only. Few years back we did the fast jigging trip and it was nice but not my style. Its fun but not a whole day fun. Now, the slow jigging style is more of a sweet spot for me and really need to do an all day iron man style here to finally do it at the yankee capts. trip. I love bait fishing that is no lie, but want to try and do this style as well. Others here like me with bait only should try as well. No, hurt feeling in this and we will still hang and BS like with do on the Yankee trips. On the reward we tend to hit hooters after we get back for a few drinks and food.

Kblue & Herb can fill you in on the slow jigging style but you have seen it work and they do on the pulley ridge trip. Need a few jigs or other stuff? http://www.jiggingdepot.com/ then support the same member that you know and gives you them sexy long sleeve you guys get on these pulley trip. (cheap plug-in :P )

In so far, Kblue,Herb,Rare, William, Andre, Rob (new face) have said yes to a trip that is not fore sure yet. Get in and have a drink with us (no RUM) and say you are interested in this trip. Herb will fill us in later on dates and time.

Paulieboy
Fisher

Re: Another mini boatless boat trip?

Post by Paulieboy »

Would buctails (deep jigs) make the cut?

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I'm in depending on the date.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Paulieboy wrote:Would buctails (deep jigs) make the cut?
How heavy?

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Here is pic of JD's new prototype killer jig.

In the dark
JD new killer jig in the dark.jpg

In the light
prototype killer jig in the light.jpg
I will be using this jig... And give away some...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

I'm in, I jigged more on this last pulley ridge trip than I have in 3 years, and it was awesome. I still might try tipping with squid ;)

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Paulieboy wrote:Would buctails (deep jigs) make the cut?

Yes, sah!
fishnfool73 wrote:I'm in depending on the date.
Oct 14th might be date we are shooting for.

Miami_Chris wrote:I'm in, I jigged more on this last pulley ridge trip than I have in 3 years, and it was awesome. I still might try tipping with squid ;)
:jester:

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

I'm in
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Paulieboy
Fisher

Post by Paulieboy »

Ok i am in

keepinitreel
Seasoned Fisher

Post by keepinitreel »

Count me in I am down.

Paulieboy
Fisher

Post by Paulieboy »

I was thinking 3 to 8 oz deep jigs...opinions?

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Paulieboy wrote:I was thinking 3 to 8 oz deep jigs...opinions?
That would work as bucktail is all time jig...but heavy bucktail may need bait... Typical slow jigging fishermen believe hooks have to be light-weighted so that they are inhaled easily into fish mouth... bucktail has hook and jig as one body, which may make hook set not so efficient specially for heavier jig... Fish attacks jig as live prey. They (except for grouper or big snapper) don't inhale a lot but rather strike the jig (to kill the live prey)... Well, this is just my opinion.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Paulieboy wrote:I was thinking 3 to 8 oz deep jigs...opinions?
Bring them old school jigs and you know what to do. :reeling: let me know and i will hold your spot, pb.

Paulieboy
Fisher

Post by Paulieboy »

Paulieboy wrote:Ok i am in

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Paulieboy wrote:
Paulieboy wrote:Ok i am in
Ha! Didnt see....welcome pb!

Mjs799
Fisher

Post by Mjs799 »

IM IN!!!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Mjs799 wrote:IM IN!!!
Good to have you in, chico :toast:

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

OK I'm trying to work out the details with Captain Wayne. So far it's $150 if we are only 12 and $120 if we are 15. This is for a 10 hour trip. But as you all know sometimes Wayne stays an extra 2 to 3 hours. Up to you guys if you want more elbow room.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

For $30 I'll take the elbow room.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

fishnfool73 wrote:For $30 I'll take the elbow room.
Yup

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Sweet! Glad we are on the same page about that.

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

Count me in too.

Also interested in this slow jigging thing I keep hearing about. Can that be done on the same rod/reel as speed jigging?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

MrEnigma wrote:Count me in too.

Also interested in this slow jigging thing I keep hearing about. Can that be done on the same rod/reel as speed jigging?
Its yes and no.....but more of a no. The guys will fill you in as to why. Blue/Herb, do a short write up on this slow pitching/ slow jigging style. The basic, the rod, reel and line. and of the jigs to use for this.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

1. Kblue
2. Herb
3. Rare
4. William
5. Andre
6. Rob
7. Miami Chris
8. Chris - fishnfool73
9. Victor :money:
10. Paulieboy
11. MrEnigma
12. Mario

Backup list:
1. Rare's special guest

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

Rare wrote:

Its yes and no.....but more of a no. The guys will fill you in as to why. Blue/Herb, do a short write up on this slow pitching/ slow jigging style. The basic, the rod, reel and line. and of the jigs to use for this.
Cool, thanks. Looks like I'll be sticking with speed jigging for now.

Would any of you vets mind giving me some insight on what jigs I would need for this sort of trip? This is what I have:

Ranging from 2oz (~50g) to 5oz (~140g) and a few cheap (in every sense of the word - got them off ebay) 170g knife jigs.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Some writing from me per rare's request.
Vertical jig works at two ways, up rising and down falling motion.

1. Speed jig is designed to create a zigzag-type motion in rising. Most jig is tail heavy by about 7:3 ratio ( 7 = tail weight and 3 = head weight). Jig has to be light as it has to move against gravity. Probably, 100 - 150g... As we all know, it demands physically... It is very good for mid-to-bottom water chasers like Bonito, Jacks, Tuna, because it scans many different depth, that increases the bite chance... I am sure all of you guys are familiar with this... About 150-200 ft wreck is very good. This type of jigging is very effective when there is no particular concentration of school as its striking area is very wide. But jigger can run out of gas quick... I use harness for this type of jigging, which makes big difference in terms of how long you can jig...
jig
2. Slow Pitch Jig is designed to create a jig motion in mainly falling but some rising. This slow pitch comes from Japan. It requires a special rod whose tip bending profile is designed to a particular range of jig weight. Rod tip pulls up jig slowly. It also requires high-ratio reel ( about 1 meter line retrieve per crank). Basically, quick crank of 1/4, 1/2, 1 reel handle bends the rod tip (and upper part of blank). And then the rod tip pulls up the jig slowly as it straightens by releasing bending. And repeat. This type of jigging can be very effective when there is high concentration of fish as jig stays biting zone very long time... I have seen this type of jigging out fish bait at anchor trip specially when there are lots of fish but they don't want to bite baits...Jig can get much quicker reaction.
However, there is a limit how the rod tip pulls up the jig as the braid line takes water resistance...Let's say if depth is more than 250 ft or there is a strong current at shallow water, jig won't be pulled up as the same speed as rod tip. Also, rod has to be designed specially for a certain range of jig weight ( some jigger carries many rods tuned for different weight). heavier jig can be used than speedy jig, that is a benefit when targeting bottom fish.

3. Long Fall jigging (we call it slow jigging). This method mainly uses falling action similar to traditional jigging. But during falling, by some quick pulling, slow jig can create very different motion unlike traditional buck tail or diamond jig. It makes lots creative motions like back flip, side kick, zigzag, longfall, etc. Most jigger has its own unique style... I can create back flip with 500g jig... It really activates predator's instinct (They have to bite when they see an injured fish). Long fall jiggers can feel the jig motion better than other style jiggers. They can tell if the jig is good or not for given situation... Typically, they prefer jig with long falling time. ( weight ratio is closed to 5:5. You can make jig falling with side spin for the entire falling time.) Biggest benefit of long fall jigging is the rod as it can handle slow pitch as well as speedy jig. Long fall jigging rod is designed to handle very wide range of jig weight ( easily 100 ~ 400g). SJ7 ( Shark and Cudaman) rod is designed to handle 80- 450g but I also jig 500g. It is comfortable for speedy up to 250g. It can do long fall jigging up to 500g weight. It can also do slow pitch jigging up to 150-300 g...

When we fish a real deep water like 500ft for nice bottom fish, sometime, it is more important to use jig that can maximize bottom time.

When you go jigging trip, we are ready to do all three style of jigging, depending on the situation. If captain says "there is a school @ 100 ft of water" while actual depth is 300ft, we do speed jigging. If cap says "ship wreck is coming", I would do slow jigging. If someone hooks up a fish and I think my jig is similar area, then I would do slow pitch jigging...

Some of this is my opinion and most of this is what I learned a lot from Herbert and others as well as I have a lengthy discussion with Shark guy ( A jigging and popping legend in Asia)

Hope this helps :toast:

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

MrEnigma wrote:
Rare wrote:

Cool, thanks. Looks like I'll be sticking with speed jigging for now.

Would any of you vets mind giving me some insight on what jigs I would need for this sort of trip? This is what I have:
All of them... I like 3 oz bentho glow jig. I would drop this jig all the way to bottom ( well if we can reach) , drift for a while (no need to be vertical), and jig up.
Glow jig doesn't have to be jigged very speedy... But don't blame me if you get cut off...

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

Thanks for the write-up. Definitely going to look more into it.

And I'll be bringing all those jigs. Do you think I'm covered with just those, or am I missing anything from what I've collected so far?

Wait, just reread the first post, and maybe I misread something. Is this trip slow jigging only?

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

You should be fine, and I'm sure everyone will be jigging in all different styles.
My suggestion is to pick up a couple jigs 200gram and up just in case. Impossible to predict conditions, and it's nice to have all different sizes just in case.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

MrEnigma wrote:Thanks for the write-up. Definitely going to look more into it.

And I'll be bringing all those jigs. Do you think I'm covered with just those, or am I missing anything from what I've collected so far?

Wait, just reread the first post, and maybe I misread something. Is this trip slow jigging only?
Check out www.jiggingdepot.com and pm me which jig you want... And I will hand deliver the jigs to the boat...lol

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”