Kingfish Stinger Rig

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
bluesea
Seasoned Fisher

Kingfish Stinger Rig

Post by bluesea »

I was wondering why do some guys use a J hook (first hook) and a treble hook (back hook) and other guys use only treble hook for both.
Is there a benefit of using a J hook for the stinger rig or it's just preference?
Another kayaker told me he prefers to use J hook because he can put a little more pressure on the fish without the hook ripping out.

I use treble hook and so far I'm happy, but I do wonder if I should put a J hook on the first hook or just stick to using treble hook.

Anyone that can clarify if there is any benefit on the J hook please do so.

Thanks in Advance.

full-cooler
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Kingfish Stinger Rig

Post by full-cooler »

I like j hooks when dealing with bigger kings . As they get bigger they can bite down on the treble without getting the hook so much . The j hook prevents this . Also where I fish for kings you're liable to catch a wahoo and that problem is even more prevalent with them .

bluesea
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bluesea »

full-cooler wrote:I like j hooks when dealing with bigger kings . As they get bigger they can bite down on the treble without getting the hook so much . The j hook prevents this . Also where I fish for kings you're liable to catch a wahoo and that problem is even more prevalent with them .
Can i put more pressure on the kingfish if i use j hook?
Do i set the hook or i risk ripping out the treble hook?

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

It's all preference. I've messed around with both and prefer a j-hook/treble combo. I personally think you get more hook ups with the treble stinger, but you will pull more hooks with them.

You could probably put more heat on a fish with j-hooks, but still a smart idea to fish lighter drags when fishing for kings.

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”