Trolling planers

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Trolling planers

Post by anas473 »

This isn't a boatless topic but I've gotten good advice in the past from you guys. Does anyone have experience trolling planers?
What is the largest weighted item you can troll behind a size six planer without tripping? Can you troll a large yozuri bonita, what about a larger metal head skirts? If you can troll items heavier than planer, what keeps the planer from tripping? I'm expecting schematics and blue prints kblue

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Re: Trolling planers

Post by Miami_Chris »

I've trolled #3 and #4 planers quite a bit. Best are lures that don't cause tons of drag. I personally use sea witch/strip bait combo, and drone spoons, but have used a islander/ballyhoo combo on the #4 a few times. You might be able to use a yozuri bonita on a #6 planer, but it's not ideal at all, as you'll have to go very slow to not trip the planer. Most guys use trolling leads or no lead at all for the bonitas. If you're after wahoo, a big islander/ballyhoo combo will work, but the size 3 1/2 drone spoon will catch everything.

It's that time of year where the planers will consistently bring in fish. Now if only the wind will drop enough to let me get offshore haha.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

bro run the planer off a cleat then use a 2 way snap and a couple rubber bands for the bonita you wont have to worrie about tripping it saves alot of head achs
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

I was planning on doing something like that, thanks for the reaffirming gruntking. I just came back from the angler management wahoo seminar and the host was telling us how he would run large bonitas and giant >12 ounce skirts off inline planers but I didn't think that was possible. Anyone have experience with something like that?

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

Bigger the planer, the bigger the bait you can use. You just need to get out on the water and see what works with your set up and what doesn't.

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”