Best place for best chance of hooking a Tarpon from beach?

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
Pelagicide
Fisher

Best place for best chance of hooking a Tarpon from beach?

Post by Pelagicide »

I'm an avid saltwater angler who unfortunately lives in a landlocked part of Maryland (which does have good saltwater fishing - IF you have a boat!) - I've done a lot of surf fishing for Drum, Striped Bass and Bluefish in DE and NC, and a lot of time spent fishing live baits from trolley rigs on North Carolina piers for King Mackerel and Cobia.

Here's the thing - I really want to catch a Tarpon - and since I don't have the $ for a charter, I want to do it from the beach. I'm hoping someone can tell me where my best chance of hooking a Tarpon from the Beach in October through December. I have 2 piece rods and conventional reels capable of throwing lures or bait and up to 40lb braided line, I would like to catch one on a lure, but am thinking a live mullet or pinfish or similar bait would be better. I plan on flying down and renting a car, and spending about 2 or 3 days fishing. I'd like to find somewhere that has a campground near the beach to save some money instead of a hotel room.

So, during the fall through winter months, what area would I be most likely to hook a Tarpon? I'll go wherever the best chance is, East coast or Gulf coast, doesn't really matter.

Thanks in advance for your help!

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Re: Best place for best chance of hooking a Tarpon from beac

Post by tears143 »

East coast and follow the mullet run would be your best bet... Probably near an inlet will hold the huge school of mullet.

Pelagicide
Fisher

Post by Pelagicide »

I don't even know when the mullet run is despite seeing about a million YouTube videos on it. I have decided on a location though - Big Pine Key. There's an inlet and a bridge with lots of pilings to hold fish- though I don't remember if that bridge allows fishing off of it- it's right next to Bahia Honda state park and I'm told that there are small Tarpon to be caught year round. Plus I can camp right on the water, and there is a large flat on the Ocean side of the Key, in case I get bored fishing baits I can look for Bonefish and Permit on the flat. Ironically I have camped there once about 20 years ago. Not knowing that fishing the pilings and the mouth of the inlet was a good way to fish we took our rental boat out looking for Mahi and the only thing we caught was a single Cero Mackerel. Drove right through the bridge coming back without slowing to fish. I do remember spending a lot of time trying to get baby Tarpon that could be seen rolling in the marina to bite with no luck at all. Thanks for the advice - I will have to research the mullet run. Looks pretty incredible.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Mullet run was over Oct...
Down south, you don't need mullet run to catch poons. In fact, that is not a bad place to catch poons... Poons are lazy fish and hiding up against current around bridge pylons waiting for easy target... I would use most natural bait... maybe live shrimp or crab...( crab would stay longer...) Natural presentation may be the key...
Also, you have to figure out how to land the fish and unhook it... It is illegal to take the fish out of water...

Pelagicide
Fisher

Post by Pelagicide »

Good point- don't know how I'd land one fishing from an elevated structure like a bridge or pier. Going to have to find a place on beach to do this. When I was at Big Pine Key last time, there were lots of small Tarpon rolling in the waters of the marina, and I spent a few fruitless hours casting to them with a fly - tried everything from Bonefish shrimp patterns to streamers to Merkin crab flies without a single hit. Still can't figure out what I was doing wrong except maybe the time of day... next time I'll bring some live crabs and shrimp. I was over gunned with a 10 weight rod, next time I'll bring a 7 or 8 weight. I can't really afford it, but I'd love to go out one day with a good guide- I was hoping someone reading this thread to volunteer to show me the local waters, but think I'll have to make do with looking at some maps and maybe even Google Earth to find likely spots. I'm flexible in where to go in Florida, my trip is still in the planning stages. If It's not in the Tampa/Bradenton area then most likely the keys- I've read that there are resident small Tarpon year round.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

give me a call when your in miami i can give you a really good shot at one 3057257020
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”