Braid Color

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
kblue
SHARKER

Braid Color

Post by kblue »

Yesterday night with decent moon light, after making a long cast of lure, I felt a fish (I think hound fish) bite while waiting for lure sinking to bottom ...
And then... I found out the braid line was cut and I lost my top shot and everything ... :mad:
It was bright green color. It seems that some fish like to bite the braid...

As usual, let me throw some questions and throw me back with answers...lol

Anyone has similar experience?
What would be the best color for braid?
Does this have something to do with braid line floating better than mono?
Any other comments?

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Re: Braid Color

Post by baseball4life702 »

I'm not a braid expert but bright green is usually a color for trolling or low visibility no matter what type of line braid/mono/fluro, I take my bright green off when I'm not out on the boat. The braid color I like from shore is the dark green, white or red. But I can't elaborate on why the fish would bite the line.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Never had an issue with the color of braid other than the mental one of thinking it would deter fish from hitting. Might have been a mackeral or something hitting the bubble trail for your connecting knot.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

I use a lot of moss green braid, usually either PP or Suffix.. it would take a sharp set of teeth to bit it.. on a slack line but when tight it happens a lot to me in Biscayne Bay.. I find that cudas love to hit/bite the line where the line to leader knot moves through the water.. and cut my lure off, the good news is if its a top-water you can see the lure floating away and simply go retrieve it and re-tie. I don;t think color matters its just that little disturbance in the water.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

Maks hit the swivel sometimes
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

gdm phil wrote:Maks hit the swivel sometimes
This. I've actually had some luck catching macks by doing a double uni knot with a heavy (50 lb.) leader (eliminates the swivel as a target), then putting a small tin (not lead) split shot just a little above the hook shank. I free-line bait on that, and the shine of the split shot helps get their attention.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Now, my legitimate argument to those saying "color doesn't matter", would be what about color of crappie jig?
Color doesn't matter to crappie jig? Why white color is most popular?

Going back to braid color, we will never have enough cases to make any conclusion because cut off by fish happens so rarely.
And I agree it will be based on mental assumption. But I would avoid any popular color of crappie jig for the braid line if fishing where Mack are around... Well, then Cuda and bluefish may like a different color... :scratch:

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

kblue wrote:Now, my legitimate argument to those saying "color doesn't matter", would be what about color of crappie jig?
Color doesn't matter to crappie jig? Why white color is most popular?

Going back to braid color, we will never have enough cases to make any conclusion because cut off by fish happens so rarely.
And I agree it will be based on mental assumption. But I would avoid any popular color of crappie jig for the braid line if fishing where Mack are around... Well, then Cuda and bluefish may like a different color... :scratch:
Two different things :scold:

When toothy fish are around you make a simple connection from braid to mono/flouro, they like to hit the bubble trail left by the swivel as folks mentioned above. As an aside, a swivel is more annoying to tie on than an alberto or uni-uni connection at least for myself. Color of braid is marketing, plain and simple.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Just clarification, I can't use any swivel in any line connection between braid and mono/flouro except for clip-on swivel right at lure.
If I use swivel, sometimes,it got stuck on top guide...If I cast the lure at full power, it gets dangerous...

The line I had before cut off was 20LB braid backing + 100ft 30LB mono top shot + 4ft monoi 40LB +clip-on swivel + lure

The knot between 20LB braid and 100ft 30LB top shot has to be special in order to prevent any line tangle in spool.
This knot was a little thick but smooth. I think fish attacked this knot because I didn't lose much of braid....

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Good lawd that's a lot of connections. Why not just go from your braid mainline to 3-6' of 20/30/40 leader? By clip on swivels are you talking about speed clips or the actual swivel with that clip?

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

For many reasons, I had to use thick top shot over thin braid... if I don't, 20 LB braid can cut my finger pretty bad if I made a cast mistake...I am using 12ft rod to cast my lure or poppers... and 20 LB braid is not strong enough to land a big fish if I am not on beach...easy to break the line during the cast also.

I cast 100 ~ 150 yard about 50 times in average and abusing the reel and line...line twist is a big issue.
I found 100 ft top shot 30LB mono with 20LB braid backing doesn't create much of line twist. So I am stick to it...
I don't need 100ft but I start with 100ft as it gets shorter and shorter.

I am using snap swivel that uses ball bearing.

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

Why are you even reeling in your swivel past the first guide in the first place?

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

linh wrote:Why are you even reeling in your swivel past the first guide in the first place?
Good question. Linh
My answer: I don't use any swivel in any line connection because I don't want to pay attention on not reeling the swivel past the top guide... lol
When you use 12ft rod, sometimes, you can't really see clearly your rig set up... At least, one hick up every 100 cast...

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

kblue wrote:For many reasons, I had to use thick top shot over thin braid... if I don't, 20 LB braid can cut my finger pretty bad if I made a cast mistake...I am using 12ft rod to cast my lure or poppers... and 20 LB braid is not strong enough to land a big fish if I am not on beach...easy to break the line during the cast also.

I cast 100 ~ 150 yard about 50 times in average and abusing the reel and line...line twist is a big issue.
I found 100 ft top shot 30LB mono with 20LB braid backing doesn't create much of line twist. So I am stick to it...
I don't need 100ft but I start with 100ft as it gets shorter and shorter.

I am using snap swivel that uses ball bearing.
Time to toughen up them fingers! I wouldn't worry about cast mistakes, if the lure lands in the ocean, you hit your target. You using a 12' rod off the pier, jesus man...how...why?

Line twist isn't that bad unless you're reeling against the drag, I would not worry about that being an issue at all. If you're worried about twist then just go straight mono on your reel.

Unless your chunking lures relatively similar to a shrimp boat anchor I would not worry about 20lb braid breaking. The hook will pull before the line parts.

Get rid of the snap swivel, tie a loop or clinch knot, or use a speed clip.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Thanks for all the tips...some on the money :thumright: and some off.

If you see me how I use my 12 footer, you would have better idea...

Are you still lucky enough to be in DT?

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

30+ years fishing planks and beaches, no offence but I do not want to be on a pier with someone using a 12' rod, that's a heavy ounce bait soaking surf rod.

Yep, still down here. The weather this week...anything but lucky

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Good for you...
Leadslinger wrote:I do not want to be on a pier with someone using a 12' rod
This is one of best ways to keep people away from my space in pier...lol But I don't fish weekend when a lot people around...

My 12ft is a popping rod not surf cast rod...butt is shorter than surf rod... believe or not, it only weighs a little over 8 oz (250g)... very thin blank...You could create very fast swing speed...only need 1/3 swing...against 20 knot of wind is not a problem to cast xrap...main thing is this rod not making me tired...You don't see this kinda of rod in FL often...bla bla bla.

When there are many people in pier, the best way I figured out is to cast from over one side of rail to the other or I use my shorter rod with crappie jig...
or when fish is closed to pier, I do under throw...

Well, I concluded S FL is not so good place for heavy lure popping/jigging from pier or beach after 3 years of trials...in my humble opinion, S FL is a place for live bait fishing....water is too clear...I've seen enough fish chase but not swallow... hard to find a place holding strong current and if any, the place is over developed and can't access...I am the guy who likes to sit on rock against wave breaks and whip a long popping rod... But not in fort lauderdale... I am about to quit... I did far better at Sebastian or Jupiter inlet, specially outgoing tide... That's why I drove north not south...

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

What brand is that rod kblue?

Your casting poppers and metal jigs from shore?

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

linh wrote:What brand is that rod kblue?

Your casting poppers and metal jigs from shore?
It is called Lox rod...I wouldn't recommend...not happy with their service.
I have other rods too...
From shore, I cast popper, pencil, and spoon, not metal jig...

BTW, I plan to bring some "special" jigging rods from Korea for PR trip :wink:
I am sure you know NS black hole magic eye or cape code... I know some similar-quality rods over there with better price.
I am also thinking of bringing some blank too.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Leadslinger wrote:Color of braid is marketing, plain and simple.
Well, if you are jigging the colored braid that changes every 10ft i believe is a help. If you are in 250ft of water and capts says fish are marking at 150ft. there is no reason to drop all the way to the bottom. You count the color to get you in the strike zone where the fish are at.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

10',20',30' ah poop!

I'd have to have one that was white then black otherwise I'll be counting on my fingers

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Almost forgot the line spread for trolling like we did in cay sal bank for wahoo. Not a fan of this one...The other was the knot method which is better for me. Dont forget to count the toes...They also have one for the short yellow bus kind of guy. 4 colors in total, each color change is 25ft. I will ride the bus for that one.

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”