Double or Single Rod Trolley

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Double or Single Rod Trolley

Post by anas473 »

Is the double rod trolley worth the effort? At the cost of two rods would it just be better to use a single rod trolley and the other rod for another application? And how do you shimmy down the bait further on a windy day, usually I just see the bait hang by the spot it first touches water.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Double or Single Rod Trolley

Post by permitchaser »

im kind of new at this too,i fish on boats all my life and the keys,but im going to start fishing up north too boatless that is,imo the two rods its better bcause you don't have to crank the whole thing to check or change your bait ,and if is too windy you can put a small weight between the coastlock and extra swivel ,make sure the pier you going its allowed to do it ,hope this help.Btw im going to start with da single rod system .

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

if is not to many ppl you can freeline your bait .Another option one rod needed .

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Two rod trolley is better... two reasons, you can feel the bite better and you have a lil better control over the wind. You can even feel bait going crazy before the bite...
But it needs more space...

I have a single trolley set up with some revision I made from some knowledge of other world...
This one fixes the issue of wind and you can have your bait at various water depth...
Last edited by kblue on Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Single rod trolley?

Only see people using one rod to snag and another to drop down the bait. Never heard of a single rod trolley.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

tears143 wrote:Single rod trolley?

Only see people using one rod to snag and another to drop down the bait. Never heard of a single rod trolley.
Yep, double rod is more common...

But I will post my single rod set up when I have a time. Name is always confusing...

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

tears143 wrote:Single rod trolley?

yes there is ,there are anchor leads specially for that ...I bought a couple

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Do you have a picture or something?

Might be usefully on days with the wrong tide or windy.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Check this out
There are two types of trolley rig. A single line and a two line set-up.
The single line is simple: take a stout rod with at least 25# test with a 6-8oz pyramid sinker on the end. Chuck that mother as far upwind as you can get it. Put the rod down. Build a 3-4 foot leader with a treble and wire trace at one end and a snap swivel at the other. Hook the snap swivel over your anchor line, hook a sardine behind the head and send it down the line. Current and wind will keep your bait at the surface where it splashed around and makes an easy meal. Kings like this!
The two line which I use is similar but I have a dedicated rod for my anchor line which sports a 6oz wire anchor. Cast it out, pull tight and place in holder. I use homemade break-away clips for running my fishing line down the anchor line. For these I use a variety of egg sinkers(1-3oz) with a snap swivel on top and a piece of 175# single strand doubled, run through and haywired on the other side with about 3in tag on both parts of wire. Rig a fighting rod with a 3-6 foot leader and a three-way swivel at the mainline. One ring to rod, one to leader and the third gets the V-shaped steel tags from the weight through it. Clip the weight onto your anchor line and slide it down. When a fish hits you bait the clip pulls free and the weight slides down the line to the anchor and you fight the fish with the other rod.
btw THE wire I used is between 10 and 12 inches long .

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Oh, got it. Thank!

So using the anchor line as the main line as well for one rod.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Up north they don't need all this crap you just sight cast with a decent spinner reel bam you are hook with a smoker ,I have done it on a boat, I want to do it from a pier and I will :bom:

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

Why not just cast out a live bait with a float for kings?
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

cantseeme47 wrote:Why not just cast out a live bait with a float for kings?
if there is a lot of ppl lines will get tangle ,I used balloons from a boat sometimes ...

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

permitchaser wrote:
if there is a lot of ppl lines will get tangle ,I used balloons from a

Kingfish off a pier is definitely on my list to do next, hopefully soon
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Big fish are usually where good currents are. Float will drift. Trolley will make the bait stay.

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

What about shimmying the bait so it goes out further? I made a device similar to the three way swivel device you mentioned, but against the wind the bait doesnt really go that far out. I attached a 2 ounce weight to a wire that I fashioned into a T and tied to a snap on swivel, if a fish bites then the tension just pulls off the line, but my problem is getting the bait further than I could cast it. Usually the bait just splashes at a distances half of what I could cast.

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Any form of a trolley isnt going to make you many friends... Paul is right its a lazy way of fishing that is no way better then swimming a bait/free line the latter probably is better idk this an age old arguement and although i dont fish the pier at the moment at all it was always annoying the guys with the trolley rods at the T theres no advantage unless you wanna sit under your umbrella drinking coronas and wait for a bite and in the case just fish the bottom. I think peopl under estimate the power of bucktails and spoons this time of year but they gotta get those trolley rods out.

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

Look, obviously no one with an ounce of decency is going to employ a trolley on a full pier. This post is about asking others about a certain fishing technique which has a very unique application. Thank you to the members who are encouraging the learning of a different fishing technique, and otherwise all other members are entitled to their opinions and apprehensions. As far as lazy man fishing, a bottom rig and a trolley rig share no distinctions, both involve a fisherman waiting for a fish, emphasis on the waiting.

Now back to the topic at hand, how can you get a bait to shimmy further along the anchor line? Is there a way to shimmy it further without using more lead along the leader line?

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

A lot of people I know uses them because they cannot freeline it when the current is against them. At skyway can't really free line if it's incoming tide except for a few spots.

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

SaltyDog wrote:Any form of a trolley isnt going to make you many friends... Paul is right its a lazy way of fishing that is no way better then swimming a bait/free line the latter probably is better idk this an age old arguement and although i dont fish the pier at the moment at all it was always annoying the guys with the trolley rods at the T theres no advantage unless you wanna sit under your umbrella drinking coronas and wait for a bite and in the case just fish the bottom. I think peopl under estimate the power of bucktails and spoons this time of year but they gotta get those trolley rods out.

Oh I agree but if its an empty pier I wanna try it it looks interesting. I would have a trolley rigs and also free line but again if theres and acceptable space

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Free line it's more natural imho less hardware too some smokers are very smart .Pauli thanks for d advice will do. :toast:

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Free line it's more natural imho less hardware too some smokers are very smart .Pauli thanks for d advice will do. :toast:

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Btw to catch a smoker from a boat drifting it's easy .From a pier it's another ball game that's where knowledge n challenge comes to play I am so down to do this :dude:

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

How was you set up your freeline? 40lb leader and small piece of wire to the hook with a tracer or straight fluro to hook?

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

The fluro it's good when da water it's crystal clear ,40 lb it's good but less increase the hits mono to wire.

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

PaulieBoy wrote:No problem permitchaser, the main thing is you want to make sure the bait is NOT being drowned by using heavy line, in other words you want your bait to look and swim freely with nothing holding it back! This is where braid definitely has the advantage, my set up is the following.... Penn Baha filled with 500 yds of 50 lb braid, top shot of 25 ft of 40 lb mono, wire lengths depends on baits... For runners and big gogs I use about 6 in, for small macks, blues, etc I use about 8-10 in. No swivels at all, uni to uni and albrights.....I have caught more than a handful of smokers over 30# including a 40 & 50 # with this set up! The reason you don't need the longer leader is because you are holding the rod when it gets hit, and with braid you feel EVERYTHING so you should never get cut off. Hope this helps
Helped clarify my concerns thank you

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

X2 thank you Pauli :toast: a 50 pounder it's a monster king from a pier ,I haven't caught one that big not even from a boat ,my biggest a 30 pounder .for the ones that will like to do this the cat its out of da bag :thumright:

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Here is my float set up with anchor. You will have less issue with wind and tangle. This is not trolley. I don't know a good name.
The only thing you need to be careful is to hook live bait since you will cast it hard.
I usually bait the fish by "sewing wire" (not hooking it) and clipped the wire, after getting thru the fish, on screw swivel or snap swivel.

This is very effective on deep water as you can select many different depth of water by moving around float stopper...
but Florida water from pier is too shallow to distinguish the water depth so that top water is probably good enough.( meaning stopper located about 2 x depth)
Kblue float set up.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”