lightest mainline for mangrove snapper from the pier

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
cotton
Weekend Warrior

lightest mainline for mangrove snapper from the pier

Post by cotton »

so what is typically your mainline size for mangrove fishing from the pier? I have the most success with 20lb, as far as bites vs. fish landed, but it still gets broken more than I would like. When I drop lower to try to get more bites, I always regret it, and the grovers of keeper size almost always break me off. Anything larger than 20 seems to completely eliminate bites.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: lightest mainline for mangrove snapper from the pier

Post by fishnfool73 »

Depends on how and where I am fishing for them. Generally for casting out I use 25 -50 lb main as I will get muttons and such. For straight up and down on knocker or jighead rigs I will use 12-15 lb main. For live baits under the pier I use the 30 -50 lb main as snook tend to be there and eat the bait often.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

I keep to 17lbs, I dont think I have ever been broken off by a mangrove on 17lbs too and I've caught some decent ones off the pier. Just keep the drag not too tight.

bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigyellowtuna »

Got my first pier caught mangrove this past weekend. Hit a freelined dead pilchard using 10 lb mainline and 2 ft of 40lb floro leader. Hit before daybreak measured 12 in. Tried for another but didn't get any other mangos.

cotton
Weekend Warrior

Post by cotton »

So I guess it really depends on the structure and how the fish fights? At our pier almost all the grovers are at the T or octagon where the pylons are close together, probably 5 feet apart. And when one hits it darts back under without exception, quickly wrapping the pylon. If I used a light drag like in fighting a king, I'd never have a chance of getting one back out again. Unless its like a redfish or sheepshead, where you can flip the bail and fool them into thinking they're not hooked, and lead them out. Whenever I tried that with a snapper, they just dig deeper LOL! The other day, I caught a 15 incher off the front of a pylon that made a run away from the pier, but that's extremely rare. I don't think I would've caught him otherwise. Is that typically what you all experience?

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

No not at all. I keep the rods over the rails and watch for the first bite, and I usually have a larger bait so the chances of getting a mangrove over bycatch is larger. As soon as I see the rod tip play I pick up the rod and wait for the snapper to run and they just get a short run but not enough to wrap me around a pylon. Even when I have been wrapped its never been a full wrap so I can just force them out and the 17lb fluoro almost always holds out. The key to me is just watching for the first nudge, if youre too late or waiting for the whole rod to bend then its easier to lose them.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

cotton wrote:So I guess it really depends on the structure and how the fish fights? At our pier almost all the grovers are at the T or octagon where the pylons are close together, probably 5 feet apart. And when one hits it darts back under without exception, quickly wrapping the pylon. If I used a light drag like in fighting a king, I'd never have a chance of getting one back out again. Unless its like a redfish or sheepshead, where you can flip the bail and fool them into thinking they're not hooked, and lead them out. Whenever I tried that with a snapper, they just dig deeper LOL! The other day, I caught a 15 incher off the front of a pylon that made a run away from the pier, but that's extremely rare. I don't think I would've caught him otherwise. Is that typically what you all experience?

...you're over thinking this big time man....leave a rod (or two) with enough weight to hold bottom with 15-20lb mainline and 40lb fluoro or mono and wait......when they hit you will hear the...bzzz...bzzzz...tap tap....and then grab the rod and set the hook (however, circle or J hook)...drag should be tight because you are on the structure....very few grovers should get away from you ....and if they do the drag is too loose..

while the rods are down grab your mack rod (light tacle 8-12lbs with 15-25 fluoro/mono leader) and tie a troll rite jig (slip jig, hook up jig....blah blah) and toss the same bait out up current and let it sink all the way and bring it back under the pier....you should get hit around the pilings and you gotta have a tight drag and be quick to move his ass out of it...unless an 18+ tags you you'll be ok...even then you have a chance...just be quick,,,the fights are great but fast.

this is my go to..TBH..i usually target snaps in the bay on 12lb and 25lb leader....where in fla are you? the pier is fun, but there is better snapper action inshore IMO...i live in Miami though....we get lots of snapper and poons

now, as far as leader...fluoro is awesome during the day...but at night its not necessary....use mono...cheaper and works the same man

cotton
Weekend Warrior

Post by cotton »

[quote]....where in fla are you? /quote]

Sorry, I'm not in Florida, I fish off the Pier in Gulf Shores Alabama.

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”