knocker rig use…when to?

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
cotton
Weekend Warrior

knocker rig use…when to?

Post by cotton »

I've only used fish finder rig or free lined, maybe occasionly used a chicken rig; I always use the lightest weight possible of course…but I've notice a lot of you use knocker rigs. I never see these used on the pier in GS, Al. When is the best situation for using them? How come the fish aren't spooked by the lead being close to the hook? Do they need to be fished on the bottom or can they be up higher in the water column? Thanks!

kblue
SHARKER

Re: knocker rig use…when to?

Post by kblue »

Knocker rig has less bottom snag and faster bite reaction than fish finder... When fish bites, knocker rig is more productive over reef or rocky bottom than fish finder rig.
I start with fish finder rig but when fish bites on and I lost the rig, then I changed it to knocker rig.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

cotton wrote:I've only used fish finder rig or free lined, maybe occasionly used a chicken rig; I always use the lightest weight possible of course…but I've notice a lot of you use knocker rigs. I never see these used on the pier in GS, Al. When is the best situation for using them? How come the fish aren't spooked by the lead being close to the hook? Do they need to be fished on the bottom or can they be up higher in the water column? Thanks!
if you use live bait it will swim away from the lead with little resistance since the line is sliding through. Also, when the fish hits it will feel less of the weight for this same reason..with a fish finder sometimes they can feel the tension and they will spit it out...especially picky snapper.

cotton
Weekend Warrior

Post by cotton »

Do you fish it with the lead laying on the bottom and allow enough slack for the bait to swim out? Can you fish it up off the bottom like half way up the pylon?

big red
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big red »

If you pull the sinker up the bait will also come up as well. Right back to the sinker.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

cotton wrote:Do you fish it with the lead laying on the bottom and allow enough slack for the bait to swim out? Can you fish it up off the bottom like half way up the pylon?
You can certainly use it in the upper water column but like k said it's really for snagged on the bottom if your fishing a pylon sounds like you're at a bridge or some vertical structure have you tried trolls it's or jig head

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

cotton wrote:Do you fish it with the lead laying on the bottom and allow enough slack for the bait to swim out?
Yes, lead has to laying on the bottom. As soon as it hit the bottom, open the reel barrel and let the bait fish pull the line out... and close it.
If there is too much slack, reel in a little bit not the bait.
When big fish are around, your rod (fast reaction tip) will feel the poor bait fish going nuts.
And then, I sometimes felt the bait fish eaten out 1/3, then another 1/3, and another...
With fish finder, you may not feel this because of swivel. You only feel fish run.
cotton wrote: Can you fish it up off the bottom like half way up the pylon?
You will have to use floater or free line. For free line, you have to figure out how to hook the live bait. so as soon as it hits the surface, the bait swim down. Otherwise, dumb bird on it.

DragonFire
Weekend Warrior

Post by DragonFire »

Also knocker rigs are GREAT to use with braid and when you have to cast a distance......use a circle hook with the knocker rig... and if you are using dead bait... give it some slack...the
same goes with live bait.... I use 4 ft knocke rigs off piers/jetties and once the live bait hits the water I give it slack and let the live bait swim away from the sinker... again this all depends on
the area you are fishing.... if you want the bait to stay closer than you use a shorter knocker rig....... I also tend to go with the "Lightest sinker" as I can get away with..... trust me trying new things
at times can be a fu$@##.... but once you learn how and when to use something..... it becomes a lot easier.... :toast:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

I like using a 16oz egg when I use the knocker rig. As soon as im hooked, I reel in fast. The reason is 2 folds, if grouper, so he doesn't rock you. 2. I try to knock out or calm down the fish with the 16 oz egg. I jig it a few times as he coming up to give him a few thumps on his head.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

I guess if rare is given out secrets I use that method also but sometimes you got to go up to 2 pounds. He never tells you the whole method

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Rare wrote:I like using a 16oz egg when I use the knocker rig. As soon as im hooked, I reel in fast. The reason is 2 folds, if grouper, so he doesn't rock you. 2. I try to knock out or calm down the fish with the 16 oz egg. I jig it a few times as he coming up to give him a few thumps on his head.

:uplol: :uplol: :uplol: :uplol:

Yeah, that's the ticket, lol.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Rare wrote:I like using a 16oz egg when I use the knocker rig. As soon as im hooked, I reel in fast. The reason is 2 folds, if grouper, so he doesn't rock you. 2. I try to knock out or calm down the fish with the 16 oz egg. I jig it a few times as he coming up to give him a few thumps on his head.

:mad: you should keep those secrets off these boards. Now a crap load of fish will be swiming around with black and blues.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Sorry about that, Herb. :pale:

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

WAIT IM NOT THE ONLY ONE TO USE THIS WHILE GROVER FISHING IN THE KEYS ?
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

gruntking wrote:WAIT IM NOT THE ONLY ONE TO USE THIS WHILE GROVER FISHING IN THE KEYS ?
Yes, you showed me this in the keys. I just cant do it in shallow water. Deep water is easy and works fast for me. Green tide is correct, I dont tell all but 16oz works and I was thinking that our members will figured out to add more weight. Since we have advanced in this thread about the knocker rig (why do you think its called a knocker rig?) I will show you guys the ""Ultimate Knocker rig.""

When I was fishing on the fish finder in Key West, Florida. Capt. Jeramy at 2am was fishing when most were getting rest. I give people space when fishing and dont bug them & being the capt. I dont tag along cause he needs his personal time . He was catching big black grouper & 19lb muttons...but ive never seen anyone whoop a grouper that fast. (40.2lbs) The only other person i seen do it that fast is Capt. Yuri on his yoyo. He called me over and said you saw how fast i kicked his @ss, i said yes. He said since you left me alone to fish when others will come over and ask me questions and pretty much fked my night time fishing i will give this up. He showed me this, he called it, ""Big Dong."" He said the knocker rig you guys use with 16oz egg is fine, but doesnt hit the 30plus pounds blacks hard enough. This rig, you rigged it just like you do the knocker rig & will stunned big fish 95% of the time.... so fast that before you know it he is on the boat when you thought there was nothing on the other end.

Capt. Jeramy's Big Dong knocker rig

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

It takes a lot of knowledge to tie that rig. :uplol: :uplol: :uplol:

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Yeah Rare that is the 2 pound rig I was talking about.

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Thanks Rare. Turned into a great thread. Amazing how they just come out of nowhere sometimes.

GK is this the same trick you showed me where you hold the barrel sinker in your hand and feed out the line then drop it?
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

I don't know what you are talking about...

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Lmfao

The fast pull is key. Letzten that lead knock the chit outta the Fisch.

Comes right up like elevator style
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Thats why I love this forum...learn something new every day.

I've only been using 10-12 oz knockers, need to up my game.

big red
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big red »

Up North they have this little setup using a 12volt car battery to shock the fish right out of the game. Not very sportmans like,but it work everytime. Just make sure your hands are dry when hit the ON switch.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

The big dong rig was use for commercial fishing before the long line rigs were use. Be fortune to see this rigs first hand. Groupers and big muttons are not the only fish to target on this rig; use at the right time this rig is deadly and works instantly.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

big red wrote:Up North they have this little setup using a 12volt car battery to shock the fish right out of the game. Not very sportmans like,but it work everytime. Just make sure your hands are dry when hit the ON switch.
When doing this in the bridges make sure you have rubber soles in your shoes when it's eaining, but for a refreshing wake up action in the middle of the night, barefooot and the use of filet metal gloves is the key. Geesh another trick was made public. :D

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Kingofthesea wrote:Thanks Rare. Turned into a great thread. Amazing how they just come out of nowhere sometimes.
t
GK is this the same trick you showed me where you hold the barrel sinker in your hand and feed out the line then drop i?

yessir that is the same rig i showed everyone in the keys
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Sweet to see you do it because it's not as easy as it sounds. Definitely up there with the 'empty bottle' trick which is still my all time GK favorite.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

My success with knocker rig was on drift boat when current was ripping. I probably caught a half of the whole boat's catch.
I had 6 or 8 oz. egg. that was able to bang the bottom constantly without snag...

But never thought about 1 ~ 2 LB sinker. I want to use this for tomorrow boat trip on reef.

BTW, I want to catch some live baits tonight.
What bait do you recommend for reef fishing? I can catch some pin or fingers.

big red
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big red »

Too much trouble carrying bait bucket around with you,just drop down a light line and bring up some 6-7" live fresh Grunts for Grouper.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Not really, all I have to do is to drop baits into live well.
6 ~7" grunts are not the option in my list.
Decided to go with fingers because of not many fingers yet in south.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

the bottle rig got hit so you already know it works
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”