Fishing Coral Gables Waterway

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
bdawk2020
Weekend Warrior

Fishing Coral Gables Waterway

Post by bdawk2020 »

I've recently been fishing the Coral Gables Waterway at night. This is the closest access I have to salt water shore fishing. Unfortunately I haven't caught anything yet. Ive been fishing mostly artificials, DOA glow shrimp near bridges and jigs with gulp jerkbaits. I usually fish after work so its hard to get bait because the shop by me is closed. Has anyone had any luck fishing this canal? Just wondering if its worth it to keep putting in the effort or if I should move on to a new location. I haven't seen or heard much activity beyond a few mullet here and there. I fish near Sunset and Lejuene. Any input is appreciated.

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Re: Fishing Coral Gables Waterway

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Beginning of outgoing tide at night fish live greenies/pilchards/frozen silversides on the bottom. Fish inshore side of the bridge with barely enough weight to hold bottom, like 3/8oz to1/2 lead. 20lb fluoro and 3/0 hook. Caught Grovers to 20", all the big ones on live baitfish. Might be another month til it gets good.

bdawk2020
Weekend Warrior

Post by bdawk2020 »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:Beginning of outgoing tide at night fish live greenies/pilchards/frozen silversides on the bottom. Fish inshore side of the bridge with barely enough weight to hold bottom, like 3/8oz to1/2 lead. 20lb fluoro and 3/0 hook. Caught Grovers to 20", all the big ones on live baitfish. Might be another month til it gets good.
Thank you very much for the info. I'll give it a shot sometime.

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

there are some big snook in that canal. fish a live mullet under the US1 bridge or the bridge just to the west(Ponce de leon blvd), also a fresh dead pilchard fished on the bottom is good for the snook and big tarpon(not sure if area is legal, check any signs).(Gordons sells fresh pilchards) use relatively heavy tackle or you will never get them in, and have lots of patience while waiting for the bites. you can also fish the canal where it goes through the university of miami, although security might kick you out of the lake area in the campus. BTW there are big sheepshead in that canal and nice size jacks

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Late night fish the golf course.

bdawk2020
Weekend Warrior

Post by bdawk2020 »

lkatze2 wrote:there are some big snook in that canal. fish a live mullet under the US1 bridge or the bridge just to the west(Ponce de leon blvd), also a fresh dead pilchard fished on the bottom is good for the snook and big tarpon(not sure if area is legal, check any signs).(Gordons sells fresh pilchards) use relatively heavy tackle or you will never get them in, and have lots of patience while waiting for the bites. you can also fish the canal where it goes through the university of miami, although security might kick you out of the lake area in the campus. BTW there are big sheepshead in that canal and nice size jacks
Awesome info. Thank you

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”