blow fish..blowtoad...whats the truth..

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
blackdrum26
Fisher

blow fish..blowtoad...whats the truth..

Post by blackdrum26 »

went out to cocoa and caught about 20..threw em all back....i hear frm different ppl...you can eat em them..them frm sum u cant??? people i wanna try n eat em.. i heard theres a difference between the bad :twisted: and the good one :wink: ...which is?? :?:

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: blow fish..blowtoad...whats the truth..

Post by fishnfool73 »

Yes you can eat them. Yes they are good. Yes their insides are posionous and will kill you if you eat them or rupture them onto the meat you eat. Yes they have closed seasons in several counties including Brevard so check the regs by just googling it.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

You can eat them but someone who is a pro at preparing them needs to do so. Blowfish has highly toxic glands that can paralyze you if you do not know what you are doing. Just stay away from it. watch Serpent and the Rainbow and see what they use it for in Haiti. They make zombies with it! LOL

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

the rabbitfish aka the smooth puffer is edible, it doesn't have poisonous flesh but a deadly poisonous bladder. a couple weeks ago while I was on the sea legs, rabbitfish were 90% of the catch by all anglers. and last week while on anglins rabbitfish were the only fish being caught all day and night. as good as I hear they are I personally stay away from puffers of any kind as there are much better fish in the sea to eat, what if the bladder on the fish leaks or breaks slightly during the fight, releasing poison, its not worth it. the 0other day i saw a bunch of cane polers in the canal near my house with a 5 gallon bucket full of checkered puffers, they said they were going to eat them, I warned them, but they refused to listen, God have mercy on their souls.
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Ricky posted this up a couple of weeks ago

-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

I work in a hospital and have taken care a person that ate a blowfish. He didn't fillet it right like Captain Kenny showed in the video. :scold: The deadly bladder releases a neuro-muscular blockade that causes what we call "locked in syndrome". Meaning your mind is fully functional but your body including your diaphram is paralyzed. He had to be placed on a ventilator to breath. Eventually the guy survived but I bet he won't eat blowfish again! :scold:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

SInce we were catching Rabbits I looked into the video Ricky posted and decided to try to eat one of the creatures... two weeks ago I landed one and took care to clean it as instructed in the video. Seemed like no problem and the meat from the tail looked like two chicken breasts. I took this home and forgot it in my cooler till I was back on the pier the next day, *note..when I did clean it I identify the bladder which was not ruptured.. but I thought - I had it in the cooler for the night and was showing it to other anglers so I decided I was not going to eat this particular rabbit..... I threw it to one of the pelicans in the water and he proceeded to gulp the filet down and within a few seconds he gaffed it up and threw up the fish.. so another pelican comes over and slams it down and again he throws it up on the pier..... What's that all about??? Makes me think this might be a zombie maker no matter how careful you are. Just saying I don't think I will try one in the future. IMHO tricky rabbits are made for release, good luck and be careful to those who disagree... I'm thinking Pelicans eat everything don't they

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

rshields wrote:SInce we were catching Rabbits I looked into the video Ricky posted and decided to try to eat one of the creatures... two weeks ago I landed one and took care to clean it as instructed in the video. Seemed like no problem and the meat from the tail looked like two chicken breasts. I took this home and forgot it in my cooler till I was back on the pier the next day, *note..when I did clean it I identify the bladder which was not ruptured.. but I thought - I had it in the cooler for the night and was showing it to other anglers so I decided I was not going to eat this particular rabbit..... I threw it to one of the pelicans in the water and he proceeded to gulp the filet down and within a few seconds he gaffed it up and threw up the fish.. so another pelican comes over and slams it down and again he throws it up on the pier..... What's that all about??? Makes me think this might be a zombie maker no matter how careful you are. Just saying I don't think I will try one in the future. IMHO tricky rabbits are made for release, good luck and be careful to those who disagree... I'm thinking Pelicans eat everything don't they
Actually , as you said Rabbit fish make nice fillets that look like chicken breasts. They are a very tastey white meat. :cheers: :chef: Just follow the instructions on the video. Eat ONLY the tail section. I'll have Kenny instruct us on how to fillet that section. He makes it look very easy! :dude:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

rshields wrote:note..when I did clean it I identify the bladder which was not ruptured..
Once you cut the top half of the Rabbit and identify the bladder, throw that sucker away! Save the tail end and it makes for a vewy vewy good meal!!! :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef:

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

Tasty or not, I dont think I'll be trying it anytime soon. I'm crazy enough, dont need any help in that department. :salut:
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

:uplol: :uplol: :uplol:

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

cudaman wrote::uplol: :uplol: :uplol:
hey it's true :nilly: the voices in my head tell me I should stop now. :king:
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

im not saying dont eat them but just be-careful in some county's as it will get you a 250 buck fine for having them , plus most that do clean them have went to school and have a licence to do so .

68B-3.007 Prohibition on Take of Puffer Fish in Volusia, Brevard, Indian River, St. Lucie, and Martin Counties.
In the waters of Volusia, Brevard, Indian River, St. Lucie, and Martin Counties, the taking of fish commonly known as puffers, Genus Sphoeroides, is prohibited.
Specific Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. Law Implemented Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. History-New 7-15-04

*Eating puffer fish (also called blowfish) can cause saxitoxin poisoning which can lead to neurological symptoms such as tingling, burning, numbness, drowsiness, incoherent speech and difficulty breathing. In severe cases, the poisoning can cause death. Cooking or cleaning the fish will not destroy the toxin. This toxin also has no taste, color or smell. If you experience any of the symptoms mentioned, contact your physician or visit the emergency room immediately.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

I still wont attempt them...sorry.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

If you told me they tasted incredible I might try them. People say that taste like chicken so I will stick to chicken no fatal toxins in yard bird.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

no fugu for me either , not worth it

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

fishnfool73 wrote:If you told me they tasted incredible I might try them. People say that taste like chicken so I will stick to chicken no fatal toxins in yard bird.

Yard Bird for Me ..............

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

I can't remember if I saw it on the History channel or read it somewhere, but the quote stuck with me, The author referred to eating Blowfish as "Culinary Russian Roulette" :mrgreen:
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

crashmister wrote:I can't remember if I saw it on the History channel or read it somewhere, but the quote stuck with me, The author referred to eating Blowfish as "Culinary Russian Roulette" :mrgreen:
It's not. If you clean it right, there is no way you would even get close to the bladder. All the guts get thrown away. Cut it essantially in half. The top section it the head with guts including the dangerous bladder. Throw that away!!!! The rest is the white meat!!! The Japanese pay big bucks for blowfish. A delicousy !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTRQrpUBW5c[/youtube]

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

sepaik wrote:The Japanese pay big bucks for blowfish. A delicousy !!

thats true but the people that are cleaning them in japan have went to school for it and have a license to do it plus million in insurance in case they kill someone . not something im going to risk my life over , you want to eat them that fine spin the wheel and take a chance

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

Checkered puffers are pretty toxic aren't they?? These cane polers had a bucket full of them and they told me they planned to eat them
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

diggin4grouper wrote:Image
I wouldn't eat a pufferfish, and I would definately think twice about the blowfish, but the rabbit.......it's vewy vewy tastey!!!
:cheers:

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

sepaik wrote:
crashmister wrote:I can't remember if I saw it on the History channel or read it somewhere, but the quote stuck with me, The author referred to eating Blowfish as "Culinary Russian Roulette" :mrgreen:
It's not. If you clean it right, there is no way you would even get close to the bladder. All the guts get thrown away. Cut it essantially in half. The top section it the head with guts including the dangerous bladder. Throw that away!!!! The rest is the white meat!!! The Japanese pay big bucks for blowfish. A delicousy !!

Pretty sure he was refering to the cook not the fish Sehoon. Remember, the fish are the same, whether it kill's you or not is dependant on the skill of the chef or person cleaning it.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

crashmister wrote:
sepaik wrote:

Pretty sure he was refering to the cook not the fish Sehoon. Remember, the fish are the same, whether it kill's you or not is dependant on the skill of the chef or person cleaning it.
:stupid: :toast: :toast:

Rickys-kayak
Fisher

Post by Rickys-kayak »

I caught some yesterday I have some ready for later if u guys dont see me again u know what happend lol,, is ok to eat if it u clean it right , Yes people go to schools to learn how to prepare this fish but what they go for is not to learn how to clean the fish and keep it safe lol anyone can do that (me) what they learn is how much of the toxin they can add to the meat and make safe YES they add some to the meat wen u eat it u feel a bit funny that is why is so famous to eat it from them ........

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Here's a prediction.... :stupid: has no future on Boatless. He's one of yours right blue?
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Kingofthesea wrote:Here's a prediction.... :stupid: has no future on Boatless. He's one of yours right blue?
He found 4 year old thread, which is a good sign...
Boatless has better future than i360 tuna (and many other fishing forum)... it doesn't mean it is good... and I want Joe back...

I don't know if he is one of mine yet. I need DNA sample or more evidence...

BTW, we don't hear this guy anymore.... :shock: :shock:

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”