For those who may not know about Etiquette / Common Sense

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

For those who may not know about Etiquette / Common Sense

Post by rshields »

I was fishing the other day and some salty gents were trashing the pier, slamming snook and being a general pain. Mostly everything we discussed they said "Hey I didn't know" kind of hard not to know that you don't throw your trash over the side or keeping a snook on deck till your friend comes back from the head to take a picture is not a good idea- snook made it back without the Pic and swam away.
So, here are a few common sense things to walk the walk with when your out there. I got this from Sebastian Inlet post and I'm sure there can be a few others added to these. Tight Lines! eatpop

FISHING ETIQUETTE
Know your sport, rules & regulations and how to use your equipment.
Know what fish are in season, what is out of season, bag limits and size restrictions.
Be prepared when going fishing – bring your own equipment.
Know the area you fish and how it’s fished – free-line, bottom fishing, etc.
Avoid putting fishing carts and any gear right up against railing – leave room for others to get around to fight a fish.
Avoid throwing a cast net over or between fishermen without warning.
Yell “Fish On” when fighting a fish to alert others and avoid tangles.
Pull in your line when your neighbor is fighting a fish.
Don’t cast over someone fighting a fish.
Look behind you before casting to avoid hooking someone.
Assist fellow anglers when needed.
Release all unwanted fish – protect our resources for the future.
Don’t leave dead fish lying on the decks.
Don’t leave your trash and unused bait – use trash receptacles for trash – put unused bait back in the water.
If you hook a bird, reel it in. Do NOT cut the line. If you aren’t sure how to free the bird, ask for help, check with the bait shop
Please hold your catch and release fish properly when photographing. Support the fish under the jaw and belly. Do not place your hand inside the gills. Do not hold the fish vertically; it can damage its internal structure.
When bleeding your catch, it is considerate to throw a bucket or two of sea water on the bloodied area to disperse the mess.
If your line gets snagged on the bottom, never cut the line at the reel. Tighten the drag
and/or hold the spool and walk in the opposite direction of the sang in order to break the line at the leader. This will minimize the amount of “dead line” in the water which often creates more snags.
When cast netting live bait, primarily finger mullet and greenies, only take what you think you will use and quickly get the rest back in the water before they die. Our bait resources are not unlimited

skee
Seasoned Fisher

Re: For those who may not know about Etiquette / Common Sens

Post by skee »

Thanks for the tips. I haven't fished the piers much so every bit of info helps.

yankneck696
Seasoned Fisher

Post by yankneck696 »

Hopre ya don't mind me reposting on FB...

Ed
Some people build bridges. Some people fish off the bridges. Some people burn their bridges. Others should just be pushed off the bridge.
Caught by hand.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

yankneck696 wrote:Hopre ya don't mind me reposting on FB...

Ed
Thank you.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

catchinany?
Fisher

Post by catchinany? »

Wish everyone who fishes would read this! Last time we went fishing, the pier was full of flies from people leaving unused bait everywhere. I could still smell it on my shoes when I got home.

Here's another one...Don't take someone else's "spot" while they are re-baiting their hook! :devil:

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Great post Rick!
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Unfortunately this is all common sense stuff.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

SD-PM

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

sorry you forgot one

when you show up to the pier an the T of the pier is packed please fish somewhere else on the pier
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

8) Gonna be ridding some of those T people soon. There will be more room.
Pay $3.00,... you fish where you want.

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

Zebco wrote:Pay $3.00,... you fish where you want.
:toast:
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

gruntking wrote:sorry you forgot one

when you show up to the pier an the T of the pier is packed please fish somewhere else on the pier

:toast:

yankneck696
Seasoned Fisher

Post by yankneck696 »

And another... When fishing the backside of the T, don't use an ultralight reel on an 8'rod to throw your bucktail tipped sabiki across 6 lines & act like it's nothing (happened at Venice by an obvious regular). My Squiddah was alot stronger than your ultralight, wasn't it? I now have an extra Sabiki & bucktail. He didn't come & get it.
Some people build bridges. Some people fish off the bridges. Some people burn their bridges. Others should just be pushed off the bridge.
Caught by hand.

Danny
Fisher

Post by Danny »

Good common sense suggestions for fishermen everywhere, thanks!

I'm not above dropping the dime on someone for blatant violations of game laws or for mistreatment of their catch. I was in the mountains in CO once and saw a guy catching cutthroats (threatened species) by throwing rocks at them as they swam upstream to spawn. He was not a starving bum, and clearly didn't need to eat trout to survive. I regret not calling the game warden on him.

I love to fish and hunt, and to eat what I catch/shoot, but I also believe that people should treat every animal with respect. This includes only killing if you have a reason to (for bait or for consumption), and properly handling and releasing fish that you don't intend to eat. Also, even fish deserve a quick and relatively painless death, if you can possibly manage it. This is not some feel-good hippy campaign for animal rights. It's common sense and good sportsmanship.

Don't mean to be preachy, but stories about mistreatment of animals give me the heeby jeebies. I know most of you reading this know all this already.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."

-Theodosius Dobzhansky

jiiimsta
Fisher

Post by jiiimsta »

Nice post mate. :)

jeff at t-n-r
Seasoned Fisher

Post by jeff at t-n-r »

Common sense is not so common. I blame the parents. LOL. But seriously I do...
Jeff at T&R Tackle
954 776-1055
mon-sat 8-6

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

I always learn something so I really appreciate the post. Unfortunately I think you are 'preaching to the choir' here because most members here have probably been fishing most of our lives and know the drill. I think the problem lies with us on the piers. I know the pier is public. I know everyone pays the same money to be there. But when I see someone breaking the correct protocol I will usually explain it to them in a nice non threatening way. Like I would to a kid. That's the first time. The second time one of those knuckleheads tangles up half the pier casting over us I just cut THEIR line in front of them as I untangle the mess. When I give them back their rig I explain I'm going to cut their line every time they do it. Usually they learn or move. Either way I'm happy. I believe will follow the 'rules for the pier' when they know them. It's our obligation to let them know or we have no right to boss of the house. Just me.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

Kingofthesea wrote:I always learn something so I really appreciate the post. Unfortunately I think you are 'preaching to the choir' here because most members here have probably been fishing most of our lives and know the drill. I think the problem lies with us on the piers. I know the pier is public. I know everyone pays the same money to be there. But when I see someone breaking the correct protocol I will usually explain it to them in a nice non threatening way. Like I would to a kid. That's the first time. The second time one of those knuckleheads tangles up half the pier casting over us I just cut THEIR line in front of them as I untangle the mess. When I give them back their rig I explain I'm going to cut their line every time they do it. Usually they learn or move. Either way I'm happy. I believe will follow the 'rules for the pier' when they know them. It's our obligation to let them know or we have no right to boss of the house. Just me.
:stupid:
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

20 Pound Mono
Fisher

Post by 20 Pound Mono »

Yes to all the above and watch you language when in mixed company or with folks that might not be used to coarse language. I can't stand hearing some guys shouting obscenities for no good reason while fishing. :shock:

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

gruntking wrote:sorry you forgot one

Here's a confession........I don't fish the 'T' and never have. Not because I don't want to but because I just haven't learned all of the rules for pier fishing yet. I've fished all over the world for my entire life but never from a pier. Out of respect for all of you that really love the art of fishing I'm not going out to the 'T' until I figure out the lay of the land down here. That's why I think it's important that all of us at least try to explain why someone is not following the standards that serious fishermen expect. If we are serious about making the public piers better then we will try to make things better. If not it's on us.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”