10 Commandments Shorebound Fishing

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
Dhunter55
Seasoned Fisher

10 Commandments Shorebound Fishing

Post by Dhunter55 »

"BoatlessFisherman" said:
I would like to ask
Anyone in the site that would like to put together a Shorebound Fishing List of Ethics so the site can pick the best one. I will make it part of the Boatless Shorebound Fishing Rules
Yeah, a "10 Commandments of Shorebound/Boatless Fishermen"
Last edited by Dhunter55 on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I say we fish 5 days and work 2

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell all my guns and fishing gear for what I told her I paid for them.

Harpmanr
Old Salt

Post by Harpmanr »

1. Keep a garbage bag in your car to dispose of trash.
2. Any garbage that you find when you get there, pick it up!
3. Don't throw your used line in the water, put it in the trash bag, or used line receptcle.
4. Bring a small metal can, put your coals in it and add a little water. When cooled off put it in the trash bag not the water.
5. Any left over bait, don't leave it there, toss it into the water or back in your cooler.
6. Same goes if you clean you fish, don't leave guts and stuff laying around. Although you should really leave your fish in whole condition.
7. Plastic bags and beer and soda holders kill. So even if you do put it in the garbage bag, cut it up so it doesn't end up on a turtle or a birds neck.
8. Don't leave cigerette/cigar butts around, again in the trash bag.
9. Don't go to the bathroom where people (families) will be fishing or doing any other recreation, it shows a lack of respect for others and is a health hazard.
10. Leave it better than you found it. Just because you didn't leave a mess doesn't mean you have to step around one that was left before you. Lets leave an impression on others and maybe less places will be closed off to fishing. I want my childern and grandchildren to be able to fish the same places that I enjoy now.
"Life is a gift from God. Fish it as much as possible." "The happier you are, the happier you become."

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

This is a Good list, thank you

Is there other things we should add?

It can be more than 10 and the Name is up for pick so make your suggestions.
Last edited by BoatlessFisherman on Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

pier kid
Seasoned Fisher

Post by pier kid »

Great list, if only everyone would use and follow it :( there would b no problems of places closing down to fishermen

Theloneliest Monk
Weekend Warrior

Post by Theloneliest Monk »

Harpmanr wrote:1. Keep a garbage bag in your car to dispose of trash.
3. Don't throw your used line in the water, put it in the trash bag, or used line receptcle.
4. Bring a small metal can, put your coals in it and add a little water. When cooled off put it in the trash bag not the water.
5. Any left over bait, don't leave it there, toss it into the water or back in your cooler.
6. Same goes if you clean you fish, don't leave guts and stuff laying around. Although you should really leave your fish in whole condition.
7. Plastic bags and beer and soda holders kill. So even if you do put it in the garbage bag, cut it up so it doesn't end up on a turtle or a birds neck.
9. Don't go to the bathroom where people (families) will be fishing or doing any other recreation, it shows a lack of respect for others and is a health hazard.
10. Leave it better than you found it. Just because you didn't leave a mess doesn't mean you have to step around one that was left before you. Lets leave an impression on others and maybe less places will be closed off to fishing. I want my childern and grandchildren to be able to fish the same places that I enjoy now.
This is great list.

I always pick up my mess, but I never picked up other peoples garbage. I guess thats something im going to have to work on.

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

i dont see nething about not taking undersized fish. how bout throwing back any fish that u dont need or want instead of killing it? just a few ideas. im sure there could b way more.

edit. gotta eat my own words. :oops:
Last edited by njp32 on Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dhunter55
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dhunter55 »

Commandment # Whatever

I will respect and safeguard our natural resources. I will adhear to and promote all fishing regulations to ensure my fishing future and the fishing of future generations.

Let's add some more fellas!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell all my guns and fishing gear for what I told her I paid for them.

PBFisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PBFisher »

Harpmanr wrote: 10. Leave it better than you found it.
Amen! I have done this, but I could have done and will do more.

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

njp32 wrote:i dont see nething about not taking undersized fish or calling fwc wen u see them being taken. how bout throwing back any fish that u dont need or want instead of killing it? just a few ideas. im sure there could b way more.
I agree it really bugs me when people ask if I'm going to keep a fish. If I say no they ask if they can have it. No D-Bag go catch your own. If I don't keep it for dinner then it goes back into the drink.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

PBFisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PBFisher »

james380 wrote: I agree it really bugs me when people ask if I'm going to keep a fish. If I say no they ask if they can have it. No D-Bag go catch your own.
"D-Bag" OUCH! :oops:

agroce23
Seasoned Fisher

Post by agroce23 »

One thing that sometimes bothers me is when other fishemen decide to unpack too close to the area I am casting or drop a line, especially when there is plenty of area too fish. Had an incident where I had a spare rod and reel hooked by another guys lure and tossed into the water. So be courteous and try and space yourself where there is room to fish for yourself and others. :)

phillybass71
BOATLESS FISHING Honorary Guide

Post by phillybass71 »

I agree with the list. Hey james I ask for fish sometimes when I'm fishing for the toothy cobias :D :D :D
Plz put back the small ones.

agroce23
Seasoned Fisher

Post by agroce23 »

Don't steal!!

PBFisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PBFisher »

agroce23 wrote:Don't steal!!
Hey! isn't that one of the original ten???

gotants?
Old Salt

Post by gotants? »

Rijkaard wrote:I would just add
- be polite and as nice as possible with other people fishing beside you, there are already so many a**holes around :D
I am generally polite but sometimes rudeness comes out of me when politeness fails.

example..last sunday while fishing for pomps, we had two families park themselves right behind us and right next to us. The family behind us had two little girls. It was outright dangerous as when you went to cast with a long pomp stik, you risked impaling one of those kids. At first I was saying in a moderate voice "Watch Your Kids Please!". But when they didn`t pay attention, or more precisely, move, then it was the louder.."Duck or Bleed!!!. They finally got the idea and shifted a few feet to the side out of harms way. Problem was, now they were parked right next to my seat and coolers. I can just imagine what thier parents said when the the little girls asked what F*** and what S*** means later on..lol

Now the next group was just outright rude. It was a family that spoke spanish only and after watching us catch some pomps, they kept inching over until they were right next to the long stik section. Sure enough, they started crossing over our lines, then,have the nerve to pick our rods up to move even closer. I thought Lomax was gonna pop as it was his rods they kept fugging with. Even though he was trying his best to fish the hole from the outside and not crowd the place up. It was getting real bad when I left so maybe he moved over and away from them. It was like going on a picnic with tuna sandwiches and sitting next to someone eating steak and eventually moving over and onto thier blanket.

What is with these morons? They`re bottom dragging with zebco rods and they think they can catch the same fish you`re targeting even though you are using 12` rods and casting 10 times thier reach? And it`s not like there weren`t other places to fish on the pier.

So, yeah, I`m polite, until a point, then it`s time to start side-casting that 7 oz pyramid sinker with, hmm, maybe 10 - 6/0 hooks?? lol

Then it`s " DUCK or BLEED!!!!!! "
Fishing is ZEN

Catching is incidental

The sea, my church

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Read your post again Gotants

Place yourself as a city manager or director of Parks and recreation and what do you see happening on your citys pier.

Your a father and your standing on a pier and a fisherman is using that language in front of your children able to understand how would you react, I hope you would become disturbed by action as such.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

gotants?
Old Salt

Post by gotants? »

I totally agree with you BF. I don`t cuss at home. We (my wife, daughter, and I) don`t even lower ourselves to name calling.

But, there`s something about being in a mans element and being with other men.

That being said, I didn`t do it on purpose. Heck, afterwards, I caught myself and didn`t like it. But, the pomp bite was on, rigs were being hung up and lost, lines were getting tangled, it was just one of those scenes.

As a father, I know better then to place my child into that environment at an early age. Now that she is older, she understands what the real world is all about.

There was plenty of places for that family to be where they wouldn`t be exposed to that. Maybe they were just teaching thier daughters about the real world at an early age?

And besides, they were eating bananas! THier way of cursing us back....
Fishing is ZEN

Catching is incidental

The sea, my church

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

:roll:

james380

Post by james380 »

phillybass71 wrote:I agree with the list. Hey james I ask for fish sometimes when I'm fishing for the toothy cobias :D :D :D
Well maybe just for you, but only because your a cutie pie. :lol:
- Charlton Heston

Dhunter55
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dhunter55 »

I've heard language in Dade County schools at all levels that would make a sailor :oops:

Not saying it's right just saying it's reality.

capt bob
Weekend Warrior

Post by capt bob »

thou shalt not covette my tackle...thou shalt not steal...or thou shalt bleed and scream profusely...

story

before moving to the Keys I was fishing on the lower ebd of Seven Mile Bridge, I had two rigs with me both Calcutta 700's on Star handcrafted rods, well while I was fishingy and watching a guy doing his thing with a Nurse Shark on a small freshwater rod and his wife taping the whole episode, I leaned my second rod against the pic nic table,,,, and 4 Koreans picked it up and were going to leave until I told them it was mine , they said no it was lost and they found it, they sadi no it was theirs, and began speakinh in Korean about there being 4 of them and only one of me and they should puch me down the stairs and go....THEN I politely explained to then IN KOREAN that I was yes one man over 50 but I has very powerful friends and 8 of them were with me, I proceeded to draw my SS .45 ACP and explain that since they had already theatened me with bodily damage I had the right to defend my self and was going to make a girl of each of them, then in english I ask for some one to dial 911 and was told all done, AND the woman was recording this on her camera. as the Koreans got up into their car the Sherrifs and State Police came in the parking lot blocking their retreat...now they refused to get out of their vehicle, the young female sherriff did check my weapon to see if I fired it and then returned it to me, explaining they had reports of a group of Orientals stealing and intimidating vistors and stealing cameras tackle etc.
she chuckled and said "the last thing they expected was a Korean speaking gun toting hard ass tourist"( who spent two tours in Nam and another 19 months in Korea)...they were prosecuted, convicted ( the video tape) and after serving sentence will be deported...

when the tape was reviewed the police and the sherrifs were giggling at some parts and asked the woman to explain as it went along what made the Koreans back up so quickly and have such an expression on their face...she said it was when he pulled his gun and told them "in Korean" he was going to make a girl out of each of them....

Tight lines to all...just not mine!
Capt Bob
It's 5 O'Clock somewhere...yup sure is

NYY D BOMB
Weekend Warrior

Post by NYY D BOMB »

I totally agree with you BF. I don`t cuss at home. We (my wife, daughter, and I) don`t even lower ourselves to name calling.

But, there`s something about being in a mans element and being with other men.

That being said, I didn`t do it on purpose. Heck, afterwards, I caught myself and didn`t like it. But, the pomp bite was on, rigs were being hung up and lost, lines were getting tangled, it was just one of those scenes.

As a father, I know better then to place my child into that environment at an early age. Now that she is older, she understands what the real world is all about.

There was plenty of places for that family to be where they wouldn`t be exposed to that. Maybe they were just teaching thier daughters about the real world at an early age?

And besides, they were eating bananas! THier way of cursing us back....

Ya know, I've been hearing a lot about these banana curses. I think I'm gonna have to switch my protein shakes from banana to vanilla.

And way to go Capt.Bob. Scared the Sh*t outta them, lol.

james380

Post by james380 »

A couple times the other day at Boynton inlet I would come back to find my bait bucket opened.

How about thou shalt not put your grimey hands in my bait bucket.

You steal, I keal! :shock:
- Charlton Heston

maoriii
Weekend Warrior

Post by maoriii »

Harpmanr wrote:1. Keep a garbage bag in your car to dispose of trash.
I would recommend cutting monofilament before disposal. I keep all of my old line in a bucket, bring it home and then cut it into two to three inch pieces so it doesn't foul any birds at the landfill.

FisherDan
Fisher

Post by FisherDan »

:roll: First of all whats with this ron paul crap ??????
I thought this is for fishin not politicin

CowboyJustin
Old Salt

Post by CowboyJustin »

capt bob wrote:thou shalt not covette my tackle...thou shalt not steal...or thou shalt bleed and scream profusely...

story

before moving to the Keys I was fishing on the lower ebd of Seven Mile Bridge, I had two rigs with me both Calcutta 700's on Star handcrafted rods, well while I was fishingy and watching a guy doing his thing with a Nurse Shark on a small freshwater rod and his wife taping the whole episode, I leaned my second rod against the pic nic table,,,, and 4 Koreans picked it up and were going to leave until I told them it was mine , they said no it was lost and they found it, they sadi no it was theirs, and began speakinh in Korean about there being 4 of them and only one of me and they should puch me down the stairs and go....THEN I politely explained to then IN KOREAN that I was yes one man over 50 but I has very powerful friends and 8 of them were with me, I proceeded to draw my SS .45 ACP and explain that since they had already theatened me with bodily damage I had the right to defend my self and was going to make a girl of each of them, then in english I ask for some one to dial 911 and was told all done, AND the woman was recording this on her camera. as the Koreans got up into their car the Sherrifs and State Police came in the parking lot blocking their retreat...now they refused to get out of their vehicle, the young female sherriff did check my weapon to see if I fired it and then returned it to me, explaining they had reports of a group of Orientals stealing and intimidating vistors and stealing cameras tackle etc.
she chuckled and said "the last thing they expected was a Korean speaking gun toting hard ass tourist"( who spent two tours in Nam and another 19 months in Korea)...they were prosecuted, convicted ( the video tape) and after serving sentence will be deported...

when the tape was reviewed the police and the sherrifs were giggling at some parts and asked the woman to explain as it went along what made the Koreans back up so quickly and have such an expression on their face...she said it was when he pulled his gun and told them "in Korean" he was going to make a girl out of each of them....

Tight lines to all...just not mine!
It's a shame the lengths you have to go to, with some of these "immigrants" or whatever you like to call them (the koreans). I have had a similiar incident but it didn't get that involved, the guy tried walking off with my tackle box and when I confronted him about it, he proceeded to get froggy (get in my face), I laid him out, drug him to the parking lot, and went back to fishing. Try to steal from me is one thing, then to get in my face about it. Thats grounds for war.

james380

Post by james380 »

lol giddy up cow poke.
- Charlton Heston

csola1
Weekend Warrior

Post by csola1 »

THALL SHALL NOT KICK BEER OVER WHEN DRUNKETH

NICK123
KING MACKEREL

Post by NICK123 »

i know a guy that did that i saved his beer and he was so grateful.

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”