10 Commandments Shorebound Fishing

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by MoJo »

Duck or Bleed is a nessary "saying" to let certian people "googans" there in harms way.

I supose im suposed to say "Danger Will Robinson Danger".

These googans need words to understand they are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

I dunno. I get caught up in the moment when fishing and shoot out the occasional 'F' bomb. Example: Was fishing this past weekend. Had one nice undersized Gag and that was it so far and my fishing time was ticking away. Had a nice run on my Baitrunner. Grabbed it and 'F' he dropped it. Unfortunately it wasn't a quiet 'F' either. Then I remembered that there were some older folks behind me watching me fish. Felt bad, but it wasn't intentional. Sometimes the moment just takes control.

Ofcourse I work in construction and 'F' is a second language in the office.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Re: a question.

Post by WhoDey »

God I hate spam bots. If you have ever run a forum you know how much of a pain in the ass they can be, have fun Tommy!! :?
Team Locked Drag
2009 Big Hammer Challenge Bridge champs
2009 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs
2008 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs

See us in action!

AnnOnimous
Fisher

Re: 10 Commandments Shorebound Fishing

Post by AnnOnimous »

Only thing I'm not agreeing with so far is disposing of bait in the water... yep, here I go on another lizard rant... it's what's referred to as "incidental feeding" and it's basically the same thing as throwing bread at them. Now in the inlets and surf fishing and such this isn't too much of an issue, but on the IRL and in the backwaters, just because you don't see that gator watching you doesn't mean he's not there.

Thou shalt not kill something just because you don't want to eat it or catch it again.
Thou shalt not attempt to catch an alligator with your crappy rig.
Thou shalt not bring extra snacks for the gators. (or raccoons or seabirds for that matter)
Thou shalt not take a dump on a public pier. (i think it was already covered, but it doesn't hurt to say it again... ESPECIALLY UNLIGHTED PIERS!!!!! Whoever did it, if I ever catch them....... luckily I didn't step in it, but still...)
Thou shalt not blast thine music... please... especially if you listen to crap....
It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye....

then it's just a game called find the eye.

razerone
Fisher

Post by razerone »

Right guys
I am a limey who fishes annually at at various times of the year at numerous venues in Florida and I love the state. But, my observations, as a complete outsider are as follows:- (if you hate me I dont' care)

1) Juno pier, fished it twice, smothererd in litter bins (trash cans??) but still shite all over the place. Are the fisher guys (gals) there blind or just plain ignorant? If this pier was in the UK it woud have been closed by now. Arent the guys who take the entrance fee supposed to clean up?

2) A pier is for everyone to fish, inexperienced or not, the guy who is slagging people off for crossing his line is out of order. If you can't take it fish somewhere else or teach the novices how to do it properly.

3) Do any serious fishermen fish the pier or do they go elsewhere because (1) its too crowded with novices or (2) there are better spots close by without the crowds? If (2) please guys get in touch, will be over at end of March for serious fishing.
4) All the reports I see pretty much say how bad the fishing is. Check out my local sites out www.wirralseafishing.co.uk or fishing4u.co.uk and realise how lucky you are.

5) Why do you guys use lures all the time? Fish want to eat, not suck plastic or metal. Bait is best Throw a lure out in my
local waters and you'll catch zilch. Throw a bunch of worms out into a 10m high tide with a 12oz grap lead and you may just have a chance. Nuff said.
6) Bearing in mind I'm coming over at the end of the month (staying near Sebastian by the way) are there any guys (gals) wo want to prove me wrong. Mail me on ray.ansell@bcg.accountancy.co.uk .

7) Please respond. Took me ages to write this after ten beers and numerous losing bets on the horses at Cheltenham ( best jump racing in the world for u gamblers) and look forward to being lambasted.

Ray
Always looking for the big one

razerone
Fisher

Post by razerone »

Forget the dot between bcg and accountancy, f***ed up.

Ray

Morpheus
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Morpheus »

eatpop
Never fry bacon naked!

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

lol Razer. I liked this line the most.
(if you hate me I dont' care)
I fished Juno pier plenty this past summer and didn't notice it trashy. There are quite a few regulars there that i'm sure pick up after themselves and others. I know I do.

I don't know much about Sebastian other than the fishing is supposed to be pretty damned good at the inlet. Good luck when you come over.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

razerone
Fisher

Post by razerone »

Guys in case you didn't realise that was an invite for someone to take me fishing while I'm on me jollies. Are there no takers??

maneater
Weekend Warrior

Post by maneater »

razerone wrote:Guys in case you didn't realise that was an invite for someone to take me fishing while I'm on me jollies. Are there no takers??
sorry we only use artificials..
and to add to the list....if your only catchin catfish and dont want them try another method of bait..spot..exc....dont throw them on the shore to die.i wont even say what id like to do to you :auto: :ncool: ..same goes to the idiots that catch a full net of bait..take a hand full and leave the rest flopping..if your not gonna use them..put them back..but the worst in my opinion..are the people that walk right up behind you at the beach and eye your poles like its a new invention and in some cases even put there grimey hands on them asking a million questions..wtf are you thinking??? there should be a "my bubble" rule on the beach
people are sooo much cooler online!!!

Tunastick
Fisher

Post by Tunastick »

yeah I have had people pull my rod out of the rod holder to see how much it weighed! :scold:

StyngRay
KING MACKEREL

Post by StyngRay »

Who revived this thread from the dark? :scratch:
This began Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:25 am.
Wow, besides everything I learned and still follow on this list...
I do clean my area and dispose of trash left behind from others. :thumright:
Plain And Simple, Life's A Beach!
ABCDEDBD FISHYS?

Jluna
Seasoned Fisher

Re:

Post by Jluna »

capt bob wrote:thou shalt not covette my tackle...thou shalt not steal...or thou shalt bleed and scream profusely...

story

before moving to the Keys I was fishing on the lower ebd of Seven Mile Bridge, I had two rigs with me both Calcutta 700's on Star handcrafted rods, well while I was fishingy and watching a guy doing his thing with a Nurse Shark on a small freshwater rod and his wife taping the whole episode, I leaned my second rod against the pic nic table,,,, and 4 Koreans picked it up and were going to leave until I told them it was mine , they said no it was lost and they found it, they sadi no it was theirs, and began speakinh in Korean about there being 4 of them and only one of me and they should puch me down the stairs and go....THEN I politely explained to then IN KOREAN that I was yes one man over 50 but I has very powerful friends and 8 of them were with me, I proceeded to draw my SS .45 ACP and explain that since they had already theatened me with bodily damage I had the right to defend my self and was going to make a girl of each of them, then in english I ask for some one to dial 911 and was told all done, AND the woman was recording this on her camera. as the Koreans got up into their car the Sherrifs and State Police came in the parking lot blocking their retreat...now they refused to get out of their vehicle, the young female sherriff did check my weapon to see if I fired it and then returned it to me, explaining they had reports of a group of Orientals stealing and intimidating vistors and stealing cameras tackle etc.
she chuckled and said "the last thing they expected was a Korean speaking gun toting hard ass tourist"( who spent two tours in Nam and another 19 months in Korea)...they were prosecuted, convicted ( the video tape) and after serving sentence will be deported...

when the tape was reviewed the police and the sherrifs were giggling at some parts and asked the woman to explain as it went along what made the Koreans back up so quickly and have such an expression on their face...she said it was when he pulled his gun and told them "in Korean" he was going to make a girl out of each of them....

Tight lines to all...just not mine!

i think i just pissed my self :D that is to funny i love the concealed weapon license
pain is weakness leaving the body

StyngRay
KING MACKEREL

Re: Re:

Post by StyngRay »

i think i just pissed my self :D that is to funny i love the concealed weapon license
I have not heard from CapRob since then.
Is he still at the same house dealing with thugs on the islands?
Plain And Simple, Life's A Beach!
ABCDEDBD FISHYS?

Captain Paul Wolter
Fisher

Post by Captain Paul Wolter »

1. Dont litter or pollute
2. Dont litter or pollute
3. Dont litter or pollute
4. Dont litter or pollute
and so on.....

You get the point! Its disgusting how many snarls of fishing line, beercans, and other crap shorefishermen leave behind. Why are some people such slobs!?!

Paul W

Angler_saxon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Angler_saxon »

How about take only what you can eat, and I do not mean stocking the freezer. :lol: It used to kill me to see the Oregon Inlet Fishing centers reports. 5 guys on a boat 20+ yellowfins on the dock 40-70lbs each fish. What does someone need with 120+lbs of tuna?

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Angler_saxon wrote:How about take only what you can eat, and I do not mean stocking the freezer. :lol: It used to kill me to see the Oregon Inlet Fishing centers reports. 5 guys on a boat 20+ yellowfins on the dock 40-70lbs each fish. What does someone need with 120+lbs of tuna?
I know where you are coming from, but on the other hand, many people cannot afford to go on an offshore trip every time they want to eat fish. I take 2 trips to the Dry Tortugas a year, which are not cheap, and it is nice to be able to have portions of snapper and grouper vaccuum sealed in the freezer, saves money on the grocery bill which in turn helps to pay for the trips. None of it goes to waste.

Angler_saxon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Angler_saxon »

No doubt brother, but you have to know of people who waste a resource (meat hogs). I flipped on a friend back home that threw away about 25lbs of frozen specks, and 4 7-10lb grouper fillets that sat in his freezer for over a year. Its kind of like the guys that kill a nice buck just for the rack, and dump the body on the side of the road. I have fish in the freezer I brought down with me, and honestly I dont think I could go a week without eating fish, but check out the Oregon Inl Fishing centers reports sometime this fall, its white marlin time right now, and look at what those guys bring to the dock. I still dont understand why billfish are killed anymore, the only one I would consider eating is a sword, and you dont even catch big swords anymore. I'm just glad I'm in Florida where there is some similance of fishery conservation.

P.S. Thanks Phishing for introducing me to this site, and helping get me registered, I love it!!!

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
Angler_saxon wrote:How about take only what you can eat, and I do not mean stocking the freezer. :lol: It used to kill me to see the Oregon Inlet Fishing centers reports. 5 guys on a boat 20+ yellowfins on the dock 40-70lbs each fish. What does someone need with 120+lbs of tuna?
I know where you are coming from, but on the other hand, many people cannot afford to go on an offshore trip every time they want to eat fish. I take 2 trips to the Dry Tortugas a year, which are not cheap, and it is nice to be able to have portions of snapper and grouper vaccuum sealed in the freezer, saves money on the grocery bill which in turn helps to pay for the trips. None of it goes to waste.
Rory; I always thought freezing snapper wrecked it. Does vacume sealing it make the difference? If so I just happen to have a vacume sealer someone left at my house.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

yes Pat vacum seal :thumleft:

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

crashmister wrote: Rory; I always thought freezing snapper wrecked it. Does vacume sealing it make the difference? If so I just happen to have a vacume sealer someone left at my house.
Pat, vacuum sealing is the only way I freeze fish. I seal packages that are portioned out for dinner, write the species/date on the bag with a sharpie and freeze it. HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART:

When you are thawing it, DO NOT thaw it in the fridge overnight. As the fish thaws slowly that way, it will soak in its own juices and get a fishy taste. Instead, fill up a bowl with COLD water about an hour before you want to cook it, make a small opening in the bag to break the seal, and place the bag in the water. It should thaw in about an hour, then just rinse the fillets, pat dry and you are good to go. Its important to break the seal before you thaw it, otherwise the vacuum seal will suck all the moisture out from the fillets as they thaw and it will be dry.

We eat fish 3-4 nights a week using this method (it took some trial and error to figure it out), and while it is not as good as fresh, it is far superior to anything you can buy at Publix.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
crashmister wrote: Rory; I always thought freezing snapper wrecked it. Does vacume sealing it make the difference? If so I just happen to have a vacume sealer someone left at my house.
Pat, vacuum sealing is the only way I freeze fish. I seal packages that are portioned out for dinner, write the species/date on the bag with a sharpie and freeze it. HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART:

When you are thawing it, DO NOT thaw it in the fridge overnight. As the fish thaws slowly that way, it will soak in its own juices and get a fishy taste. Instead, fill up a bowl with COLD water about an hour before you want to cook it, make a small opening in the bag to break the seal, and place the bag in the water. It should thaw in about an hour, then just rinse the fillets, pat dry and you are good to go. Its important to break the seal before you thaw it, otherwise the vacuum seal will suck all the moisture out from the fillets as they thaw and it will be dry.

We eat fish 3-4 nights a week using this method (it took some trial and error to figure it out), and while it is not as good as fresh, it is far superior to anything you can buy at Publix.
Thanks buddy I gotta try that.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Angler_saxon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Angler_saxon »

Phishing is dead on!

sirdarin
Fisher

Post by sirdarin »

Where to surf fish in broward?

alexis chester
Fisher

Post by alexis chester »

this is a cool post Thanks for the great comment and advice is so use full
<a href="https://onestopmarine.net/pages/buy-fresh-bait">live bait and tackle</a>

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Yep... this is one of greatest posts all time... Lots of respects... Where are they now?

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

The thread started in 2006. Rory made his first post in August 2010. With the exception of Rickie, all previous posters have since passed away. Maybe the list has bad mojo. Good luck Phis (tommy
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

We need to make Boatless site recover its past glory... :drunk: :auto: :pistols:

Old School
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Old School »

Last time i was called in for jury duty (Many years ago) the judge asked if any of the prospective jurors had any experiences with being robbed or mugged, since the defendant was being tried for that type of crime. I held up my hand and explained i had about 44 attempts to rob or assault me during my lifetime. He looked a me in disbelief and then i explained to him that i had a early morning paper route when i was just 14 yo (The manager lied about my age) and usually went fishing after i delivered the paper at 2:00 to 3:00 AM, during the summer months when school was out. I fished in some very dangerous places and fended off numerous assaults and muggings and several were life threatening. Then in my adult life my job was not much safer, since i was a photog and had to venture into many dangerous places for my work.

He dismissed me in a heart beat.

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”