Hot Spots for FWC "Heads up for FWC officers"

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
Filletnrelease
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Filletnrelease »

Hello, I am a new comer to this forum, I have basically lived my entire life, with the exception of my command appearance for Uncle Sam, in the Tampa Bay area. To say the least I was a beach bum and have fished since I was old enough to hold a pole. As I was reading this thread of posts, it occurred to me that the problems with poaching under sized or over limiting on fish is much the same on the West coast as the East. I fish, when not in my boat, off the Skyway Piers, both North and South. We see this happening way too often and pretty much take the same offense and actions as you do. It ires me to see someone try to sneak an undersized fish into there cooler, knowing it to be illegal. Granted we have a lot of tourists visiting our pier, and may not know the type of fish they are catching, let alone the size or bag limit of the species. As fisherman or women, we have the obligation to educate these people in a diplomatic way, so they will not run the risk of doing something they may not even be aware that is illegal. At the same time, for the protection of our fisheries, we also have the obligation of reporting the wrong doers. I have read where it has come down to blows, where one person said nice fish and then called the law. I would definitely try to avoid a direct confrontation except to tell them that the fish is illegal and must be returned to the water, and as far as telling them "nice fish" and calling the law, that was just pretty sorry. Granted I have gotten very up set over someone just ignoring my warnings and dumped his whole cooler into the drink. Afterwards, I wondered if he would return and go postal on me, but it didn't happen so I guess I was lucky. I guess what this rambling boils down to is that this problem is very wide spread and getting worse with the influx of people fishing our waters. I want to commend the efforts of my East Coast fishing friends for your efforts, and assure you that we on the West Coast are trying our best as well. Perhaps soon I may run into some of you on one or more of your piers or you on one of ours. Until then, Fish on, tight lines and full cooler to all.
Jack

Filletnrelease
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Filletnrelease »

Hello, I am a new comer to this forum, I have basically lived my entire life, with the exception of my command appearance for Uncle Sam, in the Tampa Bay area. To say the least I was a beach bum and have fished since I was old enough to hold a pole. As I was reading this thread of posts, it occurred to me that the problems with poaching under sized or over limiting on fish is much the same on the West coast as the East. I fish, when not in my boat, off the Skyway Piers, both North and South. We see this happening way too often and pretty much take the same offense and actions as you do. It ires me to see someone try to sneak an undersized fish into there cooler, knowing it to be illegal. Granted we have a lot of tourists visiting our pier, and may not know the type of fish they are catching, let alone the size or bag limit of the species. As fisherman or women, we have the obligation to educate these people in a diplomatic way, so they will not run the risk of doing something they may not even be aware that is illegal. At the same time, for the protection of our fisheries, we also have the obligation of reporting the wrong doers. I have read where it has come down to blows, where one person said nice fish and then called the law. I would definitely try to avoid a direct confrontation except to tell them that the fish is illegal and must be returned to the water, and as far as telling them "nice fish" and calling the law, that was just pretty sorry. Granted I have gotten very up set over someone just ignoring my warnings and dumped his whole cooler into the drink. Afterwards, I wondered if he would return and go postal on me, but it didn't happen so I guess I was lucky. I guess what this rambling boils down to is that this problem is very wide spread and getting worse with the influx of people fishing our waters. I want to commend the efforts of my East Coast fishing friends for your efforts, and assure you that we on the West Coast are trying our best as well. Perhaps soon I may run into some of you on one or more of your piers or you on one of ours. Until then, Fish on, tight lines and full cooler to all.
Jack

Filletnrelease
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Filletnrelease »

Sorry for the double post, it said it failed to send the first time.

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Well said FnR.

Mango.. Yeah that'll happen to me one day. I fish by myself alot and also show my displeasure with poaching alot. So i'm sure a face to face is in my future.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

captken
Fisher

New FWC officer in So. Florida. Help him out if you can.

Post by captken »

One of my friends just went to work for the FWC. His name is Nathan Brock. He is a really good guy and a straight shooter. I don't know what district he is in but I saw a report of him making an arrest way out Griffin Rd. In Dania.

I am sure he'd be happy to receive your information.

A bunch of years ago, my son and I were at a park on Lake Tarpon near Tarpon Springs, FL. A lady gamewarden, Peggy Parks, stopped to see what we were catching and gave us a bumper sticker that said. "Game law violators are thieves." She even furnished a rag to clean my bumper so the sticker would adhere better. She got a call from her dispatcher and left in a hurry. Fifteen minutes later she was dead, shot in the head with her own gun by a slime ball who was out on bail. I wouldn't want that job for all of the tea in China. I'm glad there are dedicated folks who love the job.

Ken
Life is too short to catch little fish.

http://www.panhandlefishingbooks.com/

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

FYI, check out this site, it is the weekly FWC report and you can see citations given, areas they are patrolling, etc.

http://myfwc.com/law/Weekly/index.htm

boballen75
Seasoned Fisher

Post by boballen75 »

thats pretty cool phanatic ive only read a couple of entertaining weeks and i am amazed how dumb some people are. Well not really that amazed

Filletnrelease
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Filletnrelease »

Captken, I think the park you are referring to is Anderson Park. I grew up my whole life in that area and have fished Lake Tarpon many, many times. I believe I remember reading about that tragic event years ago, and thinking what a waste. I now live in the Zephyrhills area and hunt and fish in Green Swamp and Richloam when I can. I have met and got to know many of the Game Officers that patrol the area, and a fine bunch they are. It is a very, very dangerous job and usually a thankless one at that. It's one thing to confront a man with a rod and reel in hand, but to confront a man who you know has at least one gun on him is certainly another. I have a great respect for these officers and the job they do. Unfortunately they are so severely outnumbered that sometimes we think that just because they did not show up or showed up late when summoned that they are not doing their job. My hat is off to all, and as you so aptly put, I wouldn't take on that job for anything. My opinion, my belief.
Jack

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

fldoowop wrote:
gruntking wrote:i love to see ppl in the keys catch an undersized snapper cause i go up to them an say nice catch as soon as i walk away im calling fwc i tell people to keep sht all the time an call its the funnyest sht to see somegeting that fat fyne
gruntking,
I am both new and still can't tell the difference between fish so just catch and release for now.
This site is supposed to help us do the right thing. How can I ask someone what I have caught and not know it I can trust his answer????
bro im not doing it to the people that are asking what kind of fish it is

im doing it to the guys that just unhook whatever an throw it in the cooler
you know like not careing if there is any size limits or any of that great stuff
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

james380 wrote:
gruntking wrote:i love to see ppl in the keys catch an undersized snapper cause i go up to them an say nice catch as soon as i walk away im calling fwc i tell people to keep sht all the time an call its the funnyest sht to see somegeting that fat fyne
Dude you're a D|CK

you cant help who you are
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

CowboyJustin
Old Salt

Post by CowboyJustin »

Guys the best thing to do is call FWC dispatch WHEN it's occuring.

561 357 4200 and report where you are, who's doing it and what they are doing, and they will send and officer out.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

You guys sound like a bunch of whinny hypocrites. Would you feel the same if someone reported everytime you break the law? I doubt it. In fact you would probably be boatless and truckless sidewalk comandos, or possibly in jail yourself.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by MoJo »

Green Tide wrote:You guys sound like a bunch of whinny hypocrites. Would you feel the same if someone reported everytime you break the law? I doubt it. In fact you would probably be boatless and truckless sidewalk comandos, or possibly in jail yourself.
LOL naaa we just like hearing the FWC officer say yep there being deported!

And yes we would feel the same, We practice what we preach.
Sounds like Green Tiddy got a citation :cry:

james380

Post by james380 »

Rijkaard wrote:
Green Tide wrote:You guys sound like a bunch of whinny hypocrites. Would you feel the same if someone reported everytime you break the law? I doubt it. In fact you would probably be boatless and truckless sidewalk comandos, or possibly in jail yourself.
This site is for fishing, we care about fishing laws and we're trying to protect our fishing spots from poachers and litterers, other than that I don't give a f**k if you break the law in other ways, sincerely
I agree 100%.

BLUE HERON BRIDGE (Palm Beach County) Do a drive by any thurs, Fri, or Sat. and clean up the local Snapper poachers.

Green Tide. Whiney.. maybe.. Hypocrite... not on your life.
- Charlton Heston

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Green Tide wrote:You guys sound like a bunch of whinny hypocrites. .
We, as a whole, do not poach.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Yeah, that was a messed up deal. One ran off with the box and I was...uhh...busy getting my ribs re-aligned. Oh well, I can breathe better now.LOL. :oops:[/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently operation ass whooping was a failure seeing they got away with the loot. Better luck next time. Form a Homestead Bayfront Posse and then take on Bruce Lee and the crew.

quote]
Best quote of the thread award

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Whisker Bent
Fisher

Post by Whisker Bent »

As a group, is there somehow we could get fish ID and size chart pamphlets or booklets from the FWC that we could hand out to folks at the fishin' holes when we go fishin'?

Or get them to visit various places to do so themselves?

I think it would make a huge and positive difference because many people especially the youth don't have a clue what fish to take and what they are, let alone the size limits.

And for those that take illegal fish and know it, it would let them know that someone is there that cares and might call the authorities and they'll probably be less tempted.

I'd be willing to hand'em out on my way to the end of the jetty, or drop a box off near the bathrooms or parking area... something like that might make a tremedous impact.
Godspeed

chank
Seasoned Fisher

Post by chank »

last year over the summer i called in an oversized snook it was atleast 40 and the fwc didnt come and thats one of the big breeder snook i dont think they care :(

james380

Re: Hot Spots for FWC "Heads up for FWC officers"

Post by james380 »

LOL oh they care. They just can't be every where at once. Just not enough of them.

I called on a guy keeping a Snook and FWC was there in minutes, but still missed the guy. You could tell he was pissed once I told him he had missed the poacher.
- Charlton Heston

firebeforice
Old Salt

Re: New FWC officer in So. Florida. Help him out if you can.

Post by firebeforice »

captken wrote:
A bunch of years ago, my son and I were at a park on Lake Tarpon near Tarpon Springs, FL. A lady gamewarden, Peggy Parks, stopped to see what we were catching and gave us a bumper sticker that said. "Game law violators are thieves." She even furnished a rag to clean my bumper so the sticker would adhere better. She got a call from her dispatcher and left in a hurry. Fifteen minutes later she was dead, shot in the head with her own gun by a slime ball who was out on bail. I wouldn't want that job for all of the tea in China. I'm glad there are dedicated folks who love the job.

Ken
i was kind of intrigued by this story. I did a little research and found this article about the late Miss Parks

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/out ... -park.html

L8RBRA
Old Salt

Re:

Post by L8RBRA »

Whisker Bent wrote:As a group, is there somehow we could get fish ID and size chart pamphlets or booklets from the FWC that we could hand out to folks at the fishin' holes when we go fishin'?

Or get them to visit various places to do so themselves?

I think it would make a huge and positive difference because many people especially the youth don't have a clue what fish to take and what they are, let alone the size limits.

And for those that take illegal fish and know it, it would let them know that someone is there that cares and might call the authorities and they'll probably be less tempted.

I'd be willing to hand'em out on my way to the end of the jetty, or drop a box off near the bathrooms or parking area... something like that might make a tremedous impact.
The best part about this is if they are a violator.... they might just pick up and leave. + more fishing spots for you at that given location. :lol:
Adam .... Fish On!

Zipity_Bop
Fisher

Post by Zipity_Bop »

Someone should make up some stickers "I report poachers" for tackle boxes or what not.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Zipity_Bop wrote:Someone should make up some stickers "I report poachers" for tackle boxes or what not.
Depending on where you fish, thats a good way to get yourself jumped.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
Zipity_Bop wrote:Someone should make up some stickers "I report poachers" for tackle boxes or what not.
Depending on where you fish, thats a good way to get yourself jumped.
I agree with this. Keep it on the down low if your gonna call FWC on some peeps.

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

flood gate L67 and every flood gate 30 minutes from krome for that matter dam Hispanics keep small large mouth pisses me off royally
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

cantseeme47 wrote:flood gate L67 and every flood gate 30 minutes from krome for that matter dam Hispanics keep small large mouth pisses me off royally
That sucks. Maybe in the long run they will get ill from Mercury poisoning from eating bass.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

pompchas
Fisher

Post by pompchas »

Many undersize grouper (jewfish) caught/release in Fort Pierce Inlet

james380

Post by james380 »

Well as long as they are releasing them correctly there shouldn't be a problem.
- Charlton Heston

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

theres such thing as an undersize jewfish? they are illegal to keep regardless
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”