Hot Spots for FWC "Heads up for FWC officers"

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Krash take Fishinfool73 up on it, he can do something about it, believe me.

Thats right people there are many in this forum that can do something and believe me they will but we have to let them know because the smart ones sometimes see them coming but never see us fisherpeople coming or rather are not afraid of us and figure we can't do anything.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

linesider wrote:The guy was half correct . You do NOT need a lisence from land..
There are a lot of opinions about this issue, maybe one of the F&G officers that may be reading can post up an official answer.

I have a license Fresh/Salt/Snook/Lobster, update every year the second week of July just before mini-lobster season, so I never really thought about it.

One day while walking the banks of the C11 out near Flamingo Road a F&G officer pulls up and after watching me catch & release a nice sized peacock, asked a few questions. He asked if he could see my license and identification, I pulled out my wallet and showed him my driver license, but he wanted to see the fishing license. I said it is maybe in my car, which was about half a mile back up the road. He still wanted to see it, so I slowly walked back to the car while he followed.
After getting to my car he carefully watched as I opened the trunk and started rummaging through my tackle box for it. I have 3 tackle boxes fresh, inshore, and offshore so it could be in any of the three and I was offshore the day before. As luck would have it, the license was in the fresh water box. I normally don't make it a point to check to see if it is present when I go bank hopping.
He checked it out and said thanks, have a nice day. I asked the question, "do I even need a license fishing here from shore", and his answer was "Yes you do, if you have a rod & reel"... and then gave me back both the drivers license and fishing license, and drove off.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Can the license be checked through electronic means? Y'know like a cop checking yur DL even though you may not have it.

Just curious.

CubanExpress
Boatlessfishing.com FORUM SPONSOR

Post by CubanExpress »

krash wrote:
linesider wrote:The guy was half correct . You do NOT need a lisence from land..
I asked the question, "do I even need a license fishing here from shore", and his answer was "Yes you do, if you have a rod & reel"... and then gave me back both the drivers license and fishing license, and drove off.
Fishing freshwater license is needed on land and boat.

Fishing saltwater NO LICENSE ON LAND. License on boat.

I know they have a computer on the fwc MAKO boat to check your license status and if you have any priors. The trucks I would image are also
equipt with the online laptops.

All your info is in a database that they can pull up on the spot.

Master-Baiter
Old Salt

Post by Master-Baiter »

Cookinman wrote:Can the license be checked through electronic means? Y'know like a cop checking yur DL even though you may not have it.

Just curious.
Great question.

I called FWC and asked.

They can check "electronically" to see if you do have a valid license, snook stamp, etc.

They can also issue a citation for failing to have it in your possession.
Master Baiter

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Master-Baiter wrote:
Cookinman wrote:Can the license be checked through electronic means?
Great question.

They can check "electronically" to see if you do have a valid license, snook stamp, etc.

They can also issue a citation for failing to have it in your possession.
Yes they can check using your license, and Yes, I can tell you from experience that they can and will issue a citation $67 bucks, or a warning no cost involved. At least the rookies that hang out at J. Lloyd ramps can ann ad will, I have a written warning to prove it.

Again similar story went off shore with my buddy, we came back with a about a dozen schoolie's. The F&G guys were tied up at the dock bow out, sitting in their seats, we tied up while my buddy went to get the trcuk/trailer the guy walks up politely ask for papers, registration, id, and fishing licenses from each of us. Then wanted to see the catch. We laid out the fish on the dock he says who caught which one, we laughed but he was serious and would not give up. He wanted to know before measuring which fish belonged to which angler, so we laughed again and each grabbed two or three fish. He measured and they were all 22 to 24 inches, legal.. but disappointed and since my license was not on my peson, he took the DL and went back to the boat, checked and came back with a written warning and said I was lucky he did not give me a ticket. I promised to be a good boy and he went back to his business.
I am however glad to see them out there, but wonder why I never see tham at the 15th street docks where I've seen many small fish being cleaned....
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

BoatlessFisherman

Fair amount of Undersize Muttons showed around Anglins Pier and Juvi Pompanos only a couple of Pomps where caught. This was before it kicked up tonight 12/08/06, they will more than likely show back up after it lays down. This is just a little info so you know whats being caught.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

jad1097
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Popular Fresh Snook Spot, Illegal Catch and NO Release

Post by jad1097 »

"Licensing requirements follow the species of fish you are fishing for, regardless of where you are fishing. For example, anglers fishing for and possessing largemouth bass in brackish water need a freshwater license; anglers fishing for saltwater species in fresh water (e.g., spotted seatrout, red drum, snook, or American shad) need a saltwater license to possess these species."

http://floridafisheries.com/rules.html

However the actual law says the following..

(2) A hunting, freshwater fishing, or saltwater fishing license or permit is not required for:

(m) Any resident fishing for a saltwater species in fresh water from land or from a structure fixed to land.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/ind ... 2#0372.562

I bet I'd win in court if ticketed for catching and/or targeting snook in freshwater without a license.;)
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason to America. No line can be drawn between the two. . . . There is no America without labor, and to fleece the one is to rob the other."

-- Abraham Lincoln

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

I've been watching this and it's great that everyone wants to help,the sad truth is it's less then $35.00 for the combo fresh/salt plus the snook and lobster stamps. I get the whole nine yards even though I rarely dive or fish fresh. Ya it really ticks me off when I see undersized or out of season harvest. Yes I report it immedietly. I have on occasion harvested lobster while wading a flat,just make sure you have a the measuring device in your takle box no matter how big. And as far as fresh goes I see a boil ,I'm pullin' over!

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Blue Heron Bridge

Post by james380 »

I've fished the Blue Heron Bridge for about 11 years off and on. These days you can sit out there all nite and not get a single hit. Everytime I see one of these a$$holes keep the undersized snapper or cast net the babies I warn them about keeping undersized fish. Usually the reply is FWC never comes out here so we don't have to worry about it. They don't use that mound a foot above there shoulders and think they are raping what used to be a great fishing spot. :cry: I've now saved the FWC number(1-888-404-FWCC(3922)) in my cell so the next time around i'll definately been using it. I also posted on the FWC violation site about the need for random stop offs by an officer.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

JackJack
Uncle Snook

how about over slot?

Post by JackJack »

Last year opening night, Boynton Inlet, a guy pulls up a HUGE, HUGE< READ HUGE dinosaur snook. Lays him down on his tape and says Good! Everybody out there says what??? The crazy thing is there was a whole family there, had to be fifteen people who all left with that monster snook. I'm just a little torn up about it because I know the kids had a fish dinner. I cought three keepers that night though myself (kept only one for eats) and if they would have stayed out there they would have cought legals too.

I would think the spillways and inlets wouldn't be hard to cover, or at least spot check on the busiest night of the year?
2009 Catch To Date
Centropomus Undecimalis-4
Scomberomorus Maculatus-10
Scomberomorus Cavalla-8
Thunnus Atlanticus-2
Lutjanus Analis -1
small Lutjanus Griseus-too many

SillyFish
Fisher

Post by SillyFish »

Searching coolers on the way out of piers might actually create more offenses than just undersized fish... What else do people use coolers for? Nothing wrong with a little drink now is there? :wink:

Ya, I think the people should be warned before calling cops... If they didnt know, they didnt know. But then again, if they didnt know, wouldnt you think the judge would be lenient and not send them to jail for years?! :shock:

BoatlessFisherman

So I get a couple of calls about Newport Pier it seems that there is a group of different people Poaching Snook from the South side of the pier, they like to wrap a towel around the snook and sneak it away when the coast is clear.

Bad thing is that it is small ones and Monster ones.

A few different groups are doing it and they seem to be regulars.

A lone fisher with a Fly rod and a nap sack.

Well anyways I am hoping anyone that is fishing that area will call FWC if they see anything like this going on.

I am mentioning this because I am hearing it is way out of control in that area.
-Tommy A-

Lone_Fisher
Seasoned Fisher

How to poach at Pompano Pier

Post by Lone_Fisher »

How to poach at Pompano Pier: put the fish in the public livewells so that when FWC comes, nobody admits it's there's.

BoatlessFisherman

If you guys don't know yet

Short Mutton Snappers Everywhere

Short Kings

Short Pompano

Now I see FWC stopping everyday at Anglins Fishing Pier, I hope they are doing at every pier
-Tommy A-

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

i dont think that fwc knows that there is a pier in dania. i saw a guy leave with three snakeson wednesday. i tried tellin him they were baby kingfish. i even showed him the difference but he wouldnt believe me. he got pissed and started yellin at me so i just said f*** it. i tried callin fwc but the number i had didnt work. does anyone have it?

PBFisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PBFisher »

C.J. wrote:How about putting signs in known fishing areas with a picture/size limit discription of fish that have size limit. Not every person fishing is a avid angler, most don't even know there are regulations for fish period. Instead of busting them and making them learn the hard way, they should educate!
Great idea CJ. A big sign identifying the most common fish for a location and at the bottom a ruler.

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snakehead terror »

They have blue rulers nailed to the peir on deerfield but I dont think that anybody notices them or cares to use them. And it seems that almost nobody except the regulars can tell a king from a mack. Every five seconds you see some one pull up a little king. They always want to keep it but I tell them about the limits and they usualy throw them back I hav saved tons of them.
BEAST
snapperkiller

bigzee20
Weekend Warrior

Post by bigzee20 »

Key Biscaine bridge is full of poachers EVERYTHING they catch they keep, was there the other day catching bait i c a guy catch a mutton that was like 5 inches i tell him that he was undersized and he looks at me then throws it into his cooler. Along with him everyone else does the same thing FWC should stop one day there.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

I have to agree on Boynton Beach inlet north jetty. Most blatent snook poaching ive seen all summer.
Last edited by Boca Jetty Rat on Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i love to see ppl in the keys catch an undersized snapper cause i go up to them an say nice catch as soon as i walk away im calling fwc i tell people to keep sht all the time an call its the funnyest sht to see somegeting that fat fyne
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

4wheelangler
KING MACKEREL

Post by 4wheelangler »

gruntking wrote:i love to see ppl in the keys catch an undersized snapper cause i go up to them an say nice catch as soon as i walk away im calling fwc i tell people to keep sht all the time an call its the funnyest sht to see somegeting that fat fyne
I don't think its very funny to encourage someone to break the law only to report them when they do! What you should do is hand them a regulations booklet and try to educate. I keep a few in my truck all the time, I can give you a couple if you like.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I've tried to educate a lot of people in the Keys, and have been told to mind my own business, etc almost every time. It's not worth getting into a fight with someone over some fish, especially being there's a good chance they are drinking and usually there are more of them then me. (I ususally fish solo or with no more then 2 other people down there.)

fldoowop
Seasoned Fisher

Post by fldoowop »

gruntking wrote:i love to see ppl in the keys catch an undersized snapper cause i go up to them an say nice catch as soon as i walk away im calling fwc i tell people to keep sht all the time an call its the funnyest sht to see somegeting that fat fyne
gruntking,
I am both new and still can't tell the difference between fish so just catch and release for now.
This site is supposed to help us do the right thing. How can I ask someone what I have caught and not know it I can trust his answer????
Someday I'll catch the big one.

cachalot
Fisher

Post by cachalot »

The thing that gets me, is that it's illegal for someone to take home undersized ( regulatory) fish, but the draggers, longliners and gillnetters can throw them away dead all day long with no criminal or even any implications/repercussions whatsoever.

Just one trawler will kill more juvi regulated species in one day than most of those "poachers" will take in a year. Sure I think some folks really are just scofflaws, but I think many of them are legitimately trying for food for their families.

I'm not defending folks who break the rules by taking undersized fish, but rather explaining the big picture a little?

You shouldn't break the law, even though the laws may be unfair.
Last edited by cachalot on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

james380

Post by james380 »

Dude you're a D|CK
- Charlton Heston

mango man
Weekend Warrior

Re: fwc

Post by mango man »

stormrunner wrote:Chineese guys on anglins from the middle to the T. Keeping everything they catch: 5" yellowtail,10" grouper,10" muttons.... Ive warned several of them and given them the regulations. They act like they dont speak english and dont know what you are talking about and dont know what the regulations say. After warnings I take the undersized fish out of their cooler and throw in back in the ocean.
I went down to the bait shop and they were thrown off the pier.
A month later they are back at it: They were thrown off the pier and fined by LBS Police and sent to court. Funny thing: they spoke english to LBS PD Officer...
That's funny that you mentioned this. I wonder if it's the same group I ran across and got into a fist fight with. Some oriental fellows were fishing out of Homestead Bayfront park and keeping everything they caught, everything illegal! I told them the deal and one told me to shut up and mind my business. I told him I was going to let the park know what they were doing and one pushed me and told me to shut up. I commenced operation ass whooping and all hell broke loose. They got away with a box 1/4 filled with undersized mangrove snapper. I am royally pissed about that to this day!

james380

Post by james380 »

:lol: Apparently operation ass whooping was a failure seeing they got away with the loot. Better luck next time. Form a Homestead Bayfront Posse and then take on Bruce Lee and the crew. :wink:
- Charlton Heston

mango man
Weekend Warrior

Post by mango man »

james380 wrote::lol: Apparently operation ass whooping was a failure seeing they got away with the loot. Better luck next time. Form a Homestead Bayfront Posse and then take on Bruce Lee and the crew. :wink:
Yeah, that was a messed up deal. One ran off with the box and I was...uhh...busy getting my ribs re-aligned. Oh well, I can breathe better now.LOL. :oops:

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”