PR Knot

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
kblue
SHARKER

PR Knot

Post by kblue »

OK guys

I got my bobbin at $4.95 from mudhole. And want to make my PR knot.
Throw me some tips.
I saw Cudaman doing it less than 3 min...

Rare
SHARKER

Re: PR Knot

Post by Rare »

Jarred is you teacher

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

1. Throw away the bobbin
2. Tie FG Knot

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

my uni to uni are yet to fail guys, keep it simple
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

I do the FG know less than 1 min.

It's a strongest knot from braid(most) to mono or fluro

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Uni uni knot is fine if you have a short leader and or big guides. With the guides on blues rods with a 10 to 20 foot 80lb leader the knot won't go through the guides or at least be jamming through every time potentially breaking the guides and weakening the knot.

I learned the pr from practice and

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

PR knot should be rather called PR wrap...lol
Yes, the problem with uni knot was it stuck at guide... It can damage guide too.

The reason you recommend FG is because PR is not strong enough or takes too long?
I will take a look at FG knot...

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

kblue wrote:PR knot should be rather called PR wrap...lol
Yes, the problem with uni knot was it stuck at guide... It can damage guide too.

The reason you recommend FG is because PR is not strong enough or takes too long?
I will take a look at FG knot...
I have not seen a test between PR VS FG knot so I do not know the strength of each.

I would guess both knot can be tie pretty quickly if you tie it alot and get used to it.

edit:
I take that back. PR and FG is the same knot.. just PR is fancier with more loop and knots. I would go with FG knot.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

Way to much work
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

gdm phil wrote:my uni to uni are yet to fail guys, keep it simple
Try tying a FG knot to one end of the mono/fluro leader and the other as the uni and uni knot. Same # braid to 1 piece of leader then pull on it.. see which one breaks.

IMHO: uni to uni works but it is a weak knot compare to other braid to mono/floru knot.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

im sure it is stronger, but I go for what works in the situation I am fishing. If my main line breaks im going to be taking a good portion of fishing time to tie a knot especially when fishing is hot. I have caught dozens of fish with uni to uni and never had a problem. I can imagine trying to tie that knot in 3-5s that we go out in sometimes. where the uni to uni can be done blind folded
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

That all depends on the person for an example....

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

With breaking test fg is stronger but it's the same concept it's cris crossed braid that is like a Chinese handcuff the more you pull the tighter it gets. I have had pr fail me with the tag end getting caught. I think it was my fault that I didn't synch the knot tight enough before finishing it so I started practicing the fg knot

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

It appears to me both FG and PR are using different stretching characteristics between braid and mono.
braid not stretching and mono stretching. When there is pulling tension on the knot, mono will try to stretch but can not stretch due to wrapped braid.
Main advantage of FG knot may be it creates tighter uniform braid wrap than bobbin...

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

I'm with phill

No way in hell I would do a half day work lol to get a damn knot whilst others are happily fishing in the meantime.

BTW you can tie a u2u that will fit thru a size 8 tip no problem even with 60# leader.
Won a lil contest at Dania BP where the host "Berkley" said tie a knot and we stress it to breaking point and meassure the lb it took to break.

Was like 10 guys n gals and they all skunked against a 8 turn well tied u2u. Won a hat and a x-rap ppffffttt

Blue those bobbins are a great tool for rod building especially working with color transitions and or inlays. F that PR knot

Nelson cool find :toast:

Still have the hat lol

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

all I know is my knot has yet to fail me, its quicker to re tie a new leader than it is to try and tie one of these knots in heavy seas. keep it simple guys thats all.
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Again, this guy can tie a bmini with his eyes closed were some couldn't even tie unless they had a door knob. You practice the knot well enough you will get it right and fast.

Now, dont stress cause i know many might but when you guys say these knot dont fail what fish are you catching and lb?

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

Goliath,52# wahoo, numerous Ajs, 30+# tuna gags my list goes on and on
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

I also use 100# braid and 100# fluro leader, when those fishw ere caught I was using 50# braid and 50# leader
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

When the car came out people said why would I need a car I have a horse?

I only tie it cuz it's thin to fit through the guides and doesnt take lon afree you have done it a few times. However more often than not if seas are rough I'll tie a bimini on the braid and connect with a yukatan knot.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Good to hear cause i also use the uni to uni and and a good old clinch knot.

Jarred, i wasn't around them days so thanks for letting us know.

Its been said 100x in this forum. The best knot is the one you can tie with confidence . If the PR, GTA, GTR, Bimini, is what you do best....then you are set. Not wrong with learning a knot. Jarred learned, i saw him doing it in front of me. He had to do it twice but got it right tje 3rd time....well lost the fish via piggy tail after that. :P

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Lol

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

My humble opinion. I catch a LOT of fish. I have had the uni to uni fail me 0 times... 50 lbs braid / 80 lbs mono leader.

I am using a old school gator glass and flip a lot of big fish. As a matter of fact, the hooks are the ones to always give out lol! I am in part to blame since I do bend them back and keep fishing. Steel does not like this one bit!

Uni is simply too easy / quick to ignore, especially when tying in the dark. I have never felt the need to learn another. Thanks Tommy! You were the one who taught me that one.

-Swordfish

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Between Braid and Leader, I think any knots are ok. As leader line is not that stretching and good friction so that it is deigned to tie hooks.

But when it comes mono, it may be different story... mono is slippery and stretches a lot... For your 100ft mono top shot over braid, what knots are you using? I am using uni2uni but I added my provision...Specially for spinner, the end of knot has to be well trimmed otherwise, it will catch the spool during the cast...but if I trim the end very short, when in max stretch, it failed... specially uni2uni didn't work very well...

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Blue with all respect but then you are not tieing right.

No matter if leader or topshot a u2u will work just fine. Tightly wrapped and pushed together with the thumbnail before cinching and pulling real tight and you can cut the tag end right at the wrap. A little spit before you tighten up and you get a short and compact knot. Tighten up with some muscle and forget any slipping.

Never had the line catch ob the spool. I even use(ed) the uni for my hooks. Hold the knot a16th from the eyelet and it is tight knot with room for the hook to play.

Dunno but for me the lazy uni is pretty much all I used except for a Loop to loop for wind on jigging.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

slowly pulling it together helps to,
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Totally agree w Phil. Never actually tied a PR but watched one being tied, kind of like origami with fishing line. I also notice Power Pro and Albright don't mix well, at least not for me. Main reason I use wind on leaders. Never been good at knots and a U to U is keep it simple stupid. Under 60 pound, it's all I use.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

swordfish wrote:My humble opinion. I catch a LOT of fish. I have had the uni to uni fail me 0 times... 50 lbs braid / 80 lbs mono leader. -Swordfish
Joey is out making a buck today so I will fill in for him.......

"You ain't chit. You catch lot fish? Only if you count pilchards n grunts and dey don't break any nots. Go steal Raul's stupid secret spot in Miami where deres no fish and stop talking about how great you are. Just sayin'
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

Here's my current knot which is getting changed out before Friday 100# daiwa braid to 100# Fluro
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Dang Rich

Lay off the shatter. That chit potent as fak lmfao

All good
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH