Fish eye Vs your eye : color of lure ?

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
kblue
SHARKER

Fish eye Vs your eye : color of lure ?

Post by kblue »

I recently spent some time on internet searching on this subject. And I found a few US patent document where many details were available.
Inventors argues visible light can not travel more than 40ft while UV light can travel deep sea. It is like X-ray can travel through human body.

Bottom line is what fish see is the UV light reflection of object. In my opinion, what this means is two things.
1) Fish can recognize object that reflects UV light. Most white color paint has Titanium dioxide in order to reflect UV light, which reduces UV damage.
I am sure no one argue most common crappie jig for Spanish mac in S FL is white.
Also, silver spoon reflects UV light well.

2) Fish can recognize object that absorbs UV light. When UV light visibility is poor to a certain degree due to whatever reason (weather, water color, sun set, etc), fish may recognize "black" object that absorbs UV light better than silver or white object that reflects UV light .
(This black object may not be black in human-visible light)

One very interested document says body of live bait reflects UV light differently. Belly parts reflects different amount of UV light than other...
Their plan is to produce fish decoy that really fish thinks are bait fish.
This kinda explains why fish strip works better than artificial even if they are the similar color to humane eye.

Share some of your thought on color of lure.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Re: Fish eye Vs your eye : color of lure ?

Post by baseball4life702 »

But there are a lot of other factors too like how the artificial swims/moves, what depth it's at, noise it makes. I have a spot where the fish only like a certain type of lure doesn't matter what color I throw but if it's not that specific lure they don't hit it. If they are seeing a reflection does color really matter? Color definitely plays a factor but imo not as much as some of the others. That's great info though :thumleft:

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

James

Very good points about other factors like motion, noise, (and probably smell too).
My particular interest is for water deep enough where no visible light is available but plenty of UV light is available
Some of stuff is above my head.

Regarding your lure example,
what our eye see as different colors may all have same UV reflection to fish eye, which means all same color to fish...

One claim of grant patent said UV reflection from live bait is distributed differently over various fish body parts unlike equal distribution made on most artificial baits... BTW building a lure based on this idea of unequal distribution of UV light is infringing this US patent...lol

There is a product called fool-o-fish, whose patent application was never granted.
I never tried this but from reading, I am under impression it is a kinda of sun block lotion less lotion smell.
Sun block lotion does reflect UV light... This means shark can see us better if we have sun block on...lol

I am seriously thinking we should try sun block spray on one of those crappie jig...lol

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

I see your main focus is on the two colors at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Back in the 80s there was a device called a color selector manufactured. It was supposedly based off of the color recognition of the Eye of a fish. So you would take this sensor and lower it into the water whatever depth you were going to fish. On the face of the dial there were three scales for water clarity clear median or muddy. Taking the science of it into consideration I did notice that the thing would read in the color spectrum's that were very popular to catch fish on in specific types of water. So for example there would be several shades of purple that lead into black or from black into increasingly light shades of blue.
Oddly enough probably the most favored color for a Wahoo is purple and black when it's down in the water column. You take those two same colors and lay them out and bass fisherman will go to them every time when they are presenting a worm or jig something like that on the bottom.
Until you get in to Clearwater say springfed then the colors are going to change the blue and black usually called blue shad becomes the favorite color until heavy rains come along then you go back to the darker blacks and purples as the water becomes increasingly muddy.
Got to go

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Just use a wrench... Palm Beach Pete has been doing well on them, both American Standard and Metric
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I figured out what I have to put on wrench.

Let me share what I found...

1) Best material that reflects UV is aluminum. It reflects up to 90%.
Other shining material that reflects visible light well doesn't reflect UV.

2) one correction about sun block cream. It absorbs UV not reflecting.
So Sun block cream can create a good silhouette in UV light.

UV light that fish see is UVA (UV light burning your skin is UVB). Anyway, UVA is very active on Sunrise/set. This is the very reason believed why insects.fish are active at sunrise/set.

Conclusion : put piece of aluminum foil tape on your lure specially sunrise/set...lol

I will continue to update

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Can I pick up Fox out of Tampa for Bucs games with that tinfoil?

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Leadslinger wrote:Can I pick up Fox out of Tampa for Bucs games with that tinfoil?
Ha Ha Ha
I guess DT has no good reception...

Antenna has to be placed very high in order to avoid signal reflection from water.

Maybe, 14ft carbon graphite rod with tinfoil top and run the coax cable between rod butt and your TV...
Never use it when thunderstorm is around DT...(BTW, this is joke. this won't work)

Or build Dish network with under-ground hobby community...lol

If you are really interested in this, send me PM.

Return to “How To's Articles”