how to purchase a used reel

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
Pilgrim
Weekend Warrior

how to purchase a used reel

Post by Pilgrim »

I've been considering buying a used reel, but I've been reading to make sure it has a smooth drag and whatnot.

This may be a dumb question, but what are the main things you want to look for when buying a used reel?
..as having nothing, yet possessing everything.

Rare
SHARKER

Re: how to purchase a used reel

Post by Rare »

I make sure that the reel has a purpose for use. I seen wayyyy to many reels that folks buy out of impulse buying and not for functions in what they need.

With that said, a good company that has been around and is going to stay around. CSR, without a good CSR it's frustrating dealing with them. Parts online if you want to skip above and
you want to get parts easy and fast.

Shimano, Penn, accurate, avet etc

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Rare wrote:I make sure that the reel has a purpose for use. I seen wayyyy to many reels that folks buy out of impulse buying and not for functions in what they need.
:uplol: Guilty as charged!

Hey Pilgrim, what kind of reel are you looking for? I have several due to the above statement.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Condition and function. General condition will give you an idea of how well the owner cares for his gear. Check all the reels functions to make sure they're smooth & clean. Drag should pull off smooth not jerky through all the settings you can pull by hand. Box and paperwork is always a plus when buying a used reel as well. As said, decide exactly what you want and how much you want to spend then go shopping. If your shopping Ebay, make sure you read the listing carefully. And if possible use paypal or a purchase protected credit card. Then if it's not exactly as the listing says, you get your money back. You can also check with tackle shops like T&R. Jeff's got a whole case of used reels in perfect shape mechanically. Who you buy a used reel from really matters.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Reliable Source....
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Pilgrim
Weekend Warrior

Post by Pilgrim »

Thanks for the suggestions, I will keep all those things in mind!
BEOWULF wrote: Hey Pilgrim, what kind of reel are you looking for? I have several due to the above statement.
I was looking into a Penn 4/0 or a TLD25. I found some decent bargains on craigslist and was going to check them out this weekend. But I wasn't exactly sure how to be sure that they were in good working condition.
..as having nothing, yet possessing everything.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Pilgrim wrote:I've been reading to make sure it has a smooth drag and whatnot.
I don't think smooth drag mean much. If you oil drag washers, drag become very smooth. That's all.
Depending in the type of reel, I would check bearing, anti-reverse lock, some thread, and also check handle wearing telling you how "engine hours" of reel. Some mechanical parts will have free-play after a certain period of time and they are meant to be replaced. I know this as I am a killer of spinning reels. But these parts are relatively cheap. You can feel it better if you mount the reel on a rod and then reel in fast with some force. (Applying some force may be important). In most time, you will just know. And bearing is most common cause and very cheap to replace. If worm gear is the problem, I would never buy. (I would try to rotate the reel with some force while holding reel case... )

For most good brand reels, if you have a good chassis/smooth reeling, and a good price, then it is OK.

I don't know if this is fair statement, but I think spinner have more issue than conventional...

Old School
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Old School »

I rebuild all my reels and i have lots of different makes. The two reels you mentioned are easily rebuilt. (Penn Senator's, and Shimano TLD's)
Bearings are cheap but like someone said gears are more expensive to replace. Look for a reel that is corrosion free and you probably will get lucky.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

I got a perfect 4 0 at t and r for 50ish. Bass pro even has em refurb at times

robalo3
Fisher

Post by robalo3 »

The best luck I have had has been buying reels I have looked at in person. The reels I have bought on ebay have been a disappointment. I bought a Garcia 10000 2 speed. Got it and it did not have a level wind which I wanted. As you say "My Bad". I should have been more careful. I bought a pen CLL6000 liveliner. I did not like it when I got it and took it out of the box. I saved the day by telling my wife I bought it for her. The best reel I have I bought used from a stranger on a pier a Pen 710Z its been bullet proof. My go to outfit. I put it on a Star rod I picked up at Carl's. They made it into a two piece rod that is travel friendly. Don't know it may have belonged to one of you guys that turned your back on it during a mac run at the pier. The seller left as soon as the deal was done. No receipt. I'm just sayin.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

never buy reel from ebay. But buy it from someone in the forum. I bought some rods and reels from a few forum members. All are very good.
I's rather pay money to forum member not ebay seller...

bluesea
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bluesea »

kblue wrote:never buy reel from ebay. But buy it from someone in the forum. I bought some rods and reels from a few forum members. All are very good.
I's rather pay money to forum member not ebay seller...
I had really good luck on ebay, my friend also got lucky and bought some good reels for a great price and were pretty much brand new.

You have to pay be careful and pay attention to the pictures of the reel but there is some good deals on ebay. I always emailed the seller in ebay and request more information and pictures if needed

Old School
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Old School »

I have bought scores of reels on eBay but ask certain questions before buying to determine if the real can be refurbished. Some reels i bought for next to nothing needed a couple of bearings and complete overhauls which I actually enjoy doing, but that process is not for everybody. I have a lot of old school reels like Shakespeare 2200 Sigma's, and Sweden built Abu's, but i will normally not buy an used reel if parts are not available online. I also buy broken reels that have been junked, just for certain parts that are hard to come by or are very expensive, like complete bails and main gears.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

kblue wrote:
I don't think smooth drag mean much. If you oil drag washers, drag become very smooth.

Others reading...please do not put oil on your drag washers

Old School
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Old School »

Oil is not the best lubricant for star drags on conventional reels. I use Cal's Universal Reel and Start Drag Grease by applying a very thin layer on the drag washers, but its pricey at $24 plus $5 for shipping for 16 oz. I also use this grease to rebuild my all my reels.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Good catch, absolutely not oil...it will dry up...I meant lubricate not oil. just my 26 years of english skill... i only use the stuff recommended for reel drag washer. Some kind of grease... I also upgrade most my reel with carbonex washer...

repair
Fisher

Post by repair »

Never buy on line you want to make sure everything works the way it should and no cracks or a ton of rust a good real is the main part in fishing.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

repair wrote:Never buy on line you want to make sure everything works the way it should and no cracks or a ton of rust a good real is the main part in fishing.
Ive bought reels online that im still using now that are in perfect condition after 4 years later. From a sailtga 50, avet, shimano. The last one was just a few weeks ago, a sphero 4000. You can buy a reel face to face that is spotless on the outside and yet the inside of the reel is just a few cast from breaking down. There is a few forum websites that I will buy from with no problem online. When i do, I will pay for it by pay pal and when the reel gets here, i will take a look inside just to make sure it is a solid reel. If not, I take it up for with seller, if that doesnt work, with pay pal. A little piece of mind.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

Rare wrote:
repair wrote:Never buy on line you want to make sure everything works the way it should and no cracks or a ton of rust a good real is the main part in fishing.
Ive bought reels online that im still using now that are in perfect condition after 4 years later. From a sailtga 50, avet, shimano. The last one was just a few weeks ago, a sphero 4000. You can buy a reel face to face that is spotless on the outside and yet the inside of the reel is just a few cast from breaking down. There is a few forum websites that I will buy from with no problem online. When i do, I will pay for it by pay pal and when the reel gets here, i will take a look inside just to make sure it is a solid reel. If not, I take it up for with seller, if that doesnt work, with pay pal. A little piece of mind.
what are those forum websites and you've mentioned on previous posts a site online that rates different reels...can you post the link here to the one you use..

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

agonzalez0 wrote:what are those forum websites and you've mentioned on previous posts a site online that rates different reels...can you post the link here to the one you use..
There is two that are on the top of my list:

1. 360 tuna (impulse buying and selling at it's best)
2. Bloody decks ( everything you can think of is selling here)

The website that I think you are asking about is Alan Hawk
http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/reviews.html
http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lists.html

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

Rare wrote:
agonzalez0 wrote:what are those forum websites and you've mentioned on previous posts a site online that rates different reels...can you post the link here to the one you use..
There is two that are on the top of my list:

1. 360 tuna (impulse buying and selling at it's best)
2. Bloody decks ( everything you can think of is selling here)

The website that I think you are asking about is Alan Hawk
http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/reviews.html
http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lists.html

thanks Nilson :toast:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Anytime. ...

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

I agree with those couple of forum sites for purchasing rods reels and tackle but also knowing the people that own it before you buy it is a big help. Some descriptions are subjective for example a real that has boat rash or bridge rash may or may not throw a flag up. Who hasn't had their favorite rod and reel get blown over by the win scraping down the side of a concrete handrail. Checking out all the functions is a great idea but you should first read up and make sure you know all the functions. For example on these lever drag reels you have to pull him into free spool to adjust them. I have checked some out at consignment shops that needed repair because of that somebody just going in there and turning knobs. That doesn't mean it's an expensive repair but it's a repair just the same and it's a flag. If you are the repair man it's probably a good buyfor you. Just as with a truck if you're not a do it yourself or I wouldn't buy an older one because you know you're going to have to work on it

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Return to “How To's Articles”