Banjo Minnow Updated

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
captken
Fisher

Banjo Minnow Updated

Post by captken »

Lots of folks cast stones at the Banjo Minnow but not me. I gave up on it for a while because the original Banjos were made out of SNOT. I often threw one off before catching a single fish on it.

If you just cast and reel, Banjos aren't great but if you follow the instructions to the letter, they are fantastic. The object of the game is to keep the lure moving IN THE SAME SPOT until you get a bite.

I use a light rod and no more than 8# mono Quick, gentle twitches will make it come to life.

I don't use the screw in locks nor do I mess with the weedless system they sell you. If I can see an undisturbed fish I will usually catch it. Cast ahead or fairly close to the fish, move your lure into its line of sight then make the lure dance in place.

In the rigging instructions below, I start out with the Mann's Hard Head Minnow. It is absolutely as tough as a hog's nose and incredibly effective. I've used these lures for several years. Unfortunately they are hard to find locally. On the up side for the Hardhead, they often last through 40-50 fish per lure. I've probably caught 20 or more species on them in fresh and salt water. . I've caught Snook that weren't biting on them.

The other lure is a Lake Fork Tackle Fluke. These lures are new to me but they come alive when rigged Banjo style. I've tried other Fluke type lures but most don't swim like the Lake Fork Flukes. The wide flat tail gives them some extra kick between my twitches. They are fairly large and ought to interest laid up Tarpon.

Here is how I rig them. I use 80# to 200# hollow core Dacron. Burn one end to form a ball. this will be the front end, the area for your hook. I usually leave about 3/8-1/2" extending beyond the front of the lure. I insert the hook through the Dacron between the head of the lure and the melted ball on the end of the Dacron.

Take a look at the rigging hook in a couple of the photos. I pull the Dacron through the soft plastic lure with it. Notice the two knots in the short length of Dacron. They help keep the Dacron in the lure. I insert the wire through the lure, exiting at the center of the front of the head. I hook the Dacron onto the little rigging hook, coat the Dacron with Super Glue then quickly pull it into the lure. Within a minute or so, the Super Glue bonds the Dacron to the lure.

If you look closely, you can see the Dacron inside the top lure.

FISH THEM WEIGHTLESS. I can't make them work with any weight.
Life is too short to catch little fish.

http://www.panhandlefishingbooks.com/

captken
Fisher

Re: Banjo Minnow Updated

Post by captken »

I don't see much need for weight, especially when I am sight fishing. I can't make the lure dance in place with weight.

After watching lots of fish stalk and eat the Banjo Minnow, I know I do not need an extra hook. I get pecks from Mangrove Snapper and Bluegills but Bass, Snook and Redfish simply inhale it. With the little circle hook shown with the Mann's Hardhead, when I am blind casting the fish is usually hooked about the time I realize I have a bite.

Google Banjo Minnow and watch some video. Fish inhale the lure.

I fished the little Mann's Hardhead in Lake of the Wods, Ont. with my skinny drop shot sinkers and caught lots of Walleyes, Smallmouths and Yellow Perch but I probably could have used other lures just as well.

http://www.panhandlefishingbooks.com/

Return to “How To's Articles”