How to casting a trolley

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
pgomez1
Fisher

How to casting a trolley

Post by pgomez1 »

Hi.

I'd like to know more details on how to get a good cast out for trolleys. When I first started with this I didn't even know what backlash was so I had a very nice bird nest the first time I cast my line on my bait casting reel. Now, looking at others cast in Deerfield I have a better idea about it but if anyone has pointers or links to where to learn the technique, it would be great. It looks like at the pier we do a variation of the pendulum casting on the surf since the space is limited.

bolo
USER BANNED

Re: How to casting a trolley

Post by bolo »

Sound like you are weak in casting. Since you do not have much experience I bet you want to cast out as far like the locals at DFP. It takes time and practice. The key is not to allow the spool spin faster then the line comes off the spool. You must go by feeling and always have your thumb over the spool lightly to feel it. When you feel the fluff or the line building up you need to apply pressure to the spool. Depending how fast it fluffs up will determine more or less pressure. There are several style of casting. You need to adapt the one you feel comfortable. You need to learn to load the rod on the back cast. Loading the rod means building energy to help cast the lure or weight. Same principal like a sling shot. Some rods has faster, medium, or slower action. These action will determine how the rod's speed on it cast. This does effect how the rod load it's energy. Last and most important is always keep you casting stroke smooth. I hope this helps and didn't confuse you even more.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

pgomez1
Fisher

Post by pgomez1 »

Thanks Bolo, that helps. I have been watching the castings at DFP. Some casts look quite effortless and resemble more like a golf swing, (where timing and precision matters more than strength). I want to be able to cast a decent distance without making a mess :-) as a first goal, so I'll work on your pointers on the thumb. My main problem (apart from the backlash) is that I seem to release the line pass the optimum point (at around 10:00 am mark). I think from what I see there, that if I release the line between 11:00 and 11:30, I would probably get better distance. But I guess it is easir to said than done.

Regards

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Using the clock as a reference point is good technique. However, I believe you will be more successful in your cast if you don't worry so much. Make each cast with confidence and do not over force yourself to cause it to backlash. The more confidence you get the better you develop your cast and you will not develop bad habits out of frustration. I'm not the best caster. There are guys on the pier can out cast me. That is ok because fish are constant on the move and fish can be caught near the pier too. Time will allow you to hone your casting skill. Always practice and never end on a bad day. If you lose focus or get frustrate take a break and rest.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Jwright1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jwright1 »

Like someone had mentioned in an earlier post (somewhere on here--may have been bolo), tighten that spool tension down while practicing...to get a feel for necessary thumb pressure. Then, click/turn at a time, loosen it as you improve.

Make sure you/you're:

1. Ensure that you applied ample pressure when putting new line on
2. Wetting your line 1st
3. Rocking the weight to build momentum (as bolo said)
4. WATCH YOUR WEIGHT!!!! (not like low-carb; more like keep your eyes on that pyramid to make certain you have the correct arch and release). This has made the most difference for me. Then, muscle memory will take hold and it will all become second-nature.
5. Not trying to Barry Bonds the freakin' cast. A lot of guys at DFP are showboating. Not to talk crap (those are my homies) but, a lot of your macks/kings are gonna hit much shallower than you think.
6. try to fill your spool a little light so that you have a nice lip on the spool itself. Then, keep your thumb all the way to the left and against that spool until you feel the need to apply pressure. Even then, though, use that pressure sparingly.
7. WRISTS, WRISTS, WRISTS!!!!!! Use 'em!

Not sure what tackle you're working with, but don't get tricked into the whole "Gotta throw the 8 oz." mumbo jumbo. With the exception of some rare days, 6 ounces will be MORE-THAN-PLENTY. Just please, please please don't try to trolley (sliding rig) with a bank or egg. There aren't reefs out there off the T, so you won't get caught up in anything but bottom sand.

Good luck, hope you find the help you need.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem."

Charlie2
Weekend Warrior

Post by Charlie2 »

Seems to me that you need some serious yard time.

Take the rod with a weight and learn to cast with it, making short(er) casts progressing to a longer cast. When you can get the distances that you desire with confidence, then go to the pier.

Those pier rats didn't always know how to cast; they've earned it. JMHO C2
A Game Law Violator is a Thief

Return to “How To's Articles”