Compare use and benefit of different sinkers

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Compare use and beenfit of different sinkers

Post by fishnfool73 »

Eggs roll in current . A bank sinker tied on a breakaway dropper rig is my choice in heavy current or rocky bottom.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

if there's rocks and ton of fishing line wrapped on the bottom than any sinker can get stuck. and bank/pyramid sinkers can be cast further than egg sinkers.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

When I fish off the bridges I use a fishfinder rig with an egg sinker probably 75% of the time, usually 4 ounces, but vary according to the current. I do use banks with a break away rig too, like Fishnfool said, usually when the current is pretty strong.

cotton
Weekend Warrior

Post by cotton »

how do you tie your breakaway rigs? would they be useful from a pier, or do you only use them for rocky bottom areas?

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I tie a loop knot slip it through the eye of the bank and cinch it in then tie a swivel and thread that onto my main line add a bead then my leader swivel. I use around half the breaking strength of my main line for the dropper line on my weight. For example 40 lb main mon I use 20 lb mono for the sinker that way if you snag you only use your weight and not the whole setup. I normally use banks if I am fishing over 5 oz of lead and eggs for less.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I am torn on using much lighter line for the dropper loop for the lead. Yes you will normally just break your lead off, but that is the most expensive part of your rig. I usually use 40 or 50 for my loop. Yes I lose a few weights, but I can frequently pull my rig out of the snag or bring up a big mass of line that it is tangled in, much easier with the heavier line. I pulled up a huge tangle on Saturday, I got about 10 2 to 8 ounce leads out of it. First time I've ever come back from the Keys with more lead then I brought down. :lol:

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

fishnfool73 wrote:I tie a loop knot slip it through the eye of the bank and cinch it in then tie a swivel and thread that onto my main line add a bead then my leader swivel. I use around half the breaking strength of my main line for the dropper line on my weight. For example 40 lb main mon I use 20 lb mono for the sinker that way if you snag you only use your weight and not the whole setup. I normally use banks if I am fishing over 5 oz of lead and eggs for less.
:stupid: I am not concern so much about losing sinkers. The key is not to lose the fish when the sinker is hung up. :wink:
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Return to “How To's Articles”