Like many other avid anglers, when I'm not fishing, I'm often thinking about fishing, reading about it, watching a TV program, maintaining my equipment, etc.
Recently, I had the opportunity to watch the DOA cd. The host shows all the DOA series artificial and color schemes, and numerous techniques for fishing with them.
Having fished for over 50 years now, I may have forgotten more than many people know about fishing with rod and reel. Yet I usually enjoy watching those shows, and seeing the "New and Improved" tackle, lures, etc.
When I venture into a store, it seems I'm inevitably drawn to the various artificials, and other 'new' products on display. I have stuff in my tackle box that has never been wet before, so why should I buy something new now? I bought a dozen of that item many years ago because it worked well, and I saved some money. Why shouldn't it work great now?
Over the years I've resisted switching back to braided lines, which I used as a kid until monofilament became inexpensive and readily available. I've resisted buying the fluorocarbon leaders and lines, continuing to use the extra monofilaments left over, after I've spooled fresh line onto my heavy test reels, for leader material. When hooks on an old Rapala rust or break, I put a new one on using a split ring. When a jig head gets chipped, I'll paint it with nail polish or dip it in paint.
In the past, I've tied my own jigs and feathers. I've made my own floats or broomsticks. Make and tie my own leaders and rigs. Even bait rigs, although the 'new' generation of sabiki's are far more convenient and often seem to work better than plain gold hooks. I make my own pilchard rings on the fly while standing at the rail on a pier, pompano rigs, sevenstrand or wire rigs, etc. And, if you ask me, I'll show you how or make one for yourself too. (OK, I admit I have started using circle hooks again much more often when live bait fishing, but they've been around a long time too.)
The reason I'm saying this is because, over the years, I've learned that much of the fishing tackle, and hype over a "New and Improved" product is designed to catch anglers, and not necessarily more fish. I just don't believe the hype.
When I began to watch the DOA video, I was somewhat skeptical of their products. What is really new and different about a plastic shrimp, or body, from what I've been using all these years? Their are numerous sizes, weights, and styles to choose from for a jig head, what you put on it, and how it's rigged. Seems they all look approximately the same to me.
The point I'm making is that, IMHO, it is the technique and lure selection that will differentiate the results between two fishermen, side by side at the same location. Size and color of your artificial offering, and the techniques used are what will determine your results.
And I'm confident enough to state that my 89 cent bucktail with it's inexpensive generic grub tail, shad body, shrimp, or worm will provide me with comparable or better results to your $3.99 jig head and 3 tails marketed under that fancy name lure.
I strongly believe that it isn't the lure that's going to catch the fish, it's the experienced and seasoned fisherman.
With all that said, I found the DOA video to be quite good, and the techniques shown a great refresher or reminder of those I've often used in the past, and perhaps just not been using lately. If you watch it, you should learn something.
So, when you watch a fishing video, or show, don't rush out and buy the lure being hawked. Learn the technique being used.
It's the little things that will make a difference in your success rate. A loop knot instead of snugging your line to the lure. Lengthening your leader. Splicing your leader to your line rather than using a swivel. Sharpening your hook before use if needed.
And be willing to experiment and use the stuff already in your tackle box.
I'm an old school fisherman. I don't fix something that isn't broke, and my old lures, jigs, etc work pretty darn effectively.
When I hear that "ABC" lures "slay" Snook, Tarpon, Permit, Cobia, Mackerel, etc, I just tend to believe that anything in that bait category (shape, color, size, etc) will also be effective. And the money I saved from resisting my impulses to purchase those fancy, well touted lures, will pay for an extra fishing expedition, or that latest, greatest new rod, reel, or gimmick I have my eye on.
One exception, perhaps, is extremely clear water, where the fish get a long slow look at your offering.
When that happens, can I borrow one of your DOA Shrimp?
Something old or something new ?
- Master-Baiter
- Old Salt
- Posts: 312
- Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:27 pm
- Location: Beautiful South Florida
Something old or something new ?
Master Baiter
-
oceanpotion
- Seasoned Fisher
- Posts: 107
- Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:16 pm
- Location: Boynton Bch
- Morpheus
- Seasoned Fisher
- Posts: 225
- Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:21 pm
- Location: Palm Coast, FL
- 1965mini
- Fisher
- Posts: 36
- Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:24 pm
- Location: South Miami-Dade
Re: Something old or something new ?
slow tempo applause building to a loud roar.
Well said..
Well said..
-
Beachfisher
- Weekend Warrior
- Posts: 88
- Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:39 pm