Berkley Gulp and other scented soft bait

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Berkley Gulp and other scented soft bait

Post by rshields »

Anybody have any experience / success with the fake scented crabs and other Berkley baits?
Thanks in advance for any feedback

fishinChris
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Berkley Gulp and other scented soft bait

Post by fishinChris »

i caught a sailfin catfish with the scented crabs. that was my first time using.
Chris

Catch and Release into the grease

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

I picked up a trial pack of the fake crabs yesterday. Used fake Berkley crabs today..... Zippo
Used real crabs today.... got there late, wanted to start well before first light but got to the pier at 6:00AM. Threw a few rods with real blue crabs with light weight on a knocker in the first and second trough and got one hit that ran for a few feet then lost the hook set. Besides that got a few blue runners out at the T on light set up free lining baby pilchards, got a barracudda... nothing from the bottom out front and I left about 12noon

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Thanks, Rob and Chris

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I've caught tarpon and snapper on the shrimp when I ran out of live shrimp in the Keys. Fished on a Trolrite just like the live shrimp. They worked in a pinch and when out of everything else but would never rely on them. I've tried the crabs whole and cut in half and have never caught anything on them. I think they are a conditions bait more suited to sight casting in low tidal flow areas.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Fishinfool..... Thanks for your input.

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

caught tarpon, snook, snapper, ladyfish, trout on the shrimp. ive never used the crabs.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Bright green for snapper... Thanks

kcsurfer
Fisher

Post by kcsurfer »

Don't waste your money on the berkley scented baits they dry out very quickly. I would suggest using a D.O.A shrimp of saltwater assassin shad or any of your favorite soft plastics. They are not scented but I use pro cure bait scents it costs about $6 and works amazing on anything, that way you don't waste your money when those berkley's dry up.

squirrelfish
Fisher

Post by squirrelfish »

great luck on gulp baits in the back country like the 10,000 islands, a few years back useing chartruse gulps and gulp shrimp out of indiankey pass we slayed snook, seatrout,a few small tarpons( 10 lbs and under) also flounders, reds and whiteing. Never had luck from a pier or surf fishing though. Good thing about gulp is you can rig them weedless.

BLTAL
Fisher

Post by BLTAL »

Glad I found this thread B/c I was gonna start a thread about gulp. I use gulp all summer in the Atlantic city area and absolutely crush flounder and bluefish. Have also had success on trout and tautog which is a cousin of sheepheads. The grubs and shrimp seem to be the main fish catchers in the product line. Other than chartreuse anyone had success with white? I'm flying into Venice area in mid July and am debating buying some for this trip just in case i cant make bait.

GROUPER SCOOPER
Weekend Warrior

Post by GROUPER SCOOPER »

You can't really go wrong with them.

I also like the gulp spray for my regular soft plastics.

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

I use Berkley Gulp and have the utmost confidence in it. It really seems to do well on certain fish. Snook , Flounder , Redfish seem to love Gulp. That being said I only use the swimming mullet and jerk shad and I only use white ones.

Return to “How To's Articles”