Cutting bait

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
4wheelangler
KING MACKEREL

Cutting bait

Post by 4wheelangler »

I was wondering if one of you adept fisherfolks might post a how-to on cutting various baits. ie plugs, chunks, strips, butterflied, etc.

I've had people ask me how but I couldn't cover them all, I searched and did not find much out there.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Cutting bait

Post by fishnfool73 »

Plugs ... trim fins , cut off heat and tail fins. I do this with ballyhoo for muttons . I hook them in the steam of the tail. At times I'll just lightly butterfly the tail if the bait nibblers aren't thick.

Chunks cut the baitfish into pieces that are asically round like cutting a carrot. I use this for mullet, ladyfish or other bigger baits again I like this when nibblers are around.

Strips ...basically filleting the baitfish and then cutting into vertical slices. I will use ballyhoo, mullet, ladyfish, or mackeral for this. The general idea is a bait that looks like a worm hook in one end and it flashes in the current. I will use strips for yellowwtails, mackeral under a bobber or with a split shot, and on bottom if the nibblers aren't thick.

Butterfly... Start at the tail and cut forward along the backbone until about halfway up the fish remove knife then repeat on ther side then grab the backbone and remove it . What is left should look like a book without its spin. I like doing this with pinfish ( trim the spines) or with google eyes for muttons or grouper. Hook the baitfish in the lips bottom to top. The idea is that in the current the bait will appear to swim in the current.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Pilgrim
Weekend Warrior

Re: Cutting bait

Post by Pilgrim »

fishnfool73 wrote:Plugs ... trim fins , cut off heat and tail fins. I do this with ballyhoo for muttons . I hook them in the steam of the tail. At times I'll just lightly butterfly the tail if the bait nibblers aren't thick.

Chunks cut the baitfish into pieces that are asically round like cutting a carrot. I use this for mullet, ladyfish or other bigger baits again I like this when nibblers are around.

Strips ...basically filleting the baitfish and then cutting into vertical slices. I will use ballyhoo, mullet, ladyfish, or mackeral for this. The general idea is a bait that looks like a worm hook in one end and it flashes in the current. I will use strips for yellowwtails, mackeral under a bobber or with a split shot, and on bottom if the nibblers aren't thick.

Butterfly... Start at the tail and cut forward along the backbone until about halfway up the fish remove knife then repeat on ther side then grab the backbone and remove it . What is left should look like a book without its spin. I like doing this with pinfish ( trim the spines) or with google eyes for muttons or grouper. Hook the baitfish in the lips bottom to top. The idea is that in the current the bait will appear to swim in the current.
Hey FF, how big do you want the plugs to be? For muttons?

And I've seen people use a double hook rig when they bait a whole bait fish..can that be used on a plug too?
..as having nothing, yet possessing everything.

Return to “How To's Articles”