Surf Snookin'

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

:dude: nice work, Thanks :toast:
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

phillybass71
BOATLESS FISHING Honorary Guide

Post by phillybass71 »

Thanks for the info I'll try it soon. :) :) :)
Plz put back the small ones.

fishinDave07
Old Salt

Post by fishinDave07 »

:thumleft:
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

STARS6
Seasoned Fisher

Post by STARS6 »

Fine job !!!!!!

You know your stuff and I know all too well how close they can be to the shoreline. Got a 30 incher at Dania not long ago and another 6 inches he would have been up on the sand.

Again - Fine post !!

SHARP HOOKS

STARS6

Beachfisher
Weekend Warrior

Post by Beachfisher »

Close to the shore is right on. Standing on the shore line with my toes barely touching the water I was talking to a passer by in response to his question about, "how is the fishing". The fishing had in fact been quite unsuccessful. The last lure that I was using was a gold Johnson sprite, and it just happened to be dangling from my rod to where it was barely splashing the water, as I continued talking. Now the rod is yanked ouit of my arms by you guessed it: a nice snook about 24".

True story from Sanibel.

Reely_skinny
Fisher

shallow water beach snook

Post by Reely_skinny »

While fishing south of Hallandale Beach, I was casting while standing in 6" of water.....To my amazement, a 30" snook came up and parked by my toes, waiting to ambush something.....with a 7' rod all I could do was look at him :shock:
Fillet & release'm in Peanut Oil
~~~~~~~>>))))('>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~/>~/>~~~~/>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/>~/>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fishinDave07
Old Salt

Post by fishinDave07 »

check out my friend's surf snook at dania beach.
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

jighead
Old Salt

surf snook

Post by jighead »

This is for the novice.STOP if you are looking for more or better info.Those previous post are EXCATLY what you'll need to do. No bravado ,I'm hardcore and is there is simply nothing that could be added.Excellent job gentlemen.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Re: surf snook

Post by Cookinman »

jighead wrote:This is for the novice.STOP if you are looking for more or better info.Those previous post are EXCATLY what you'll need to do. No bravado ,I'm hardcore and is there is simply nothing that could be added.Excellent job gentlemen.
Copuld not agree more. This IS the manuel.

gotants?
Old Salt

Post by gotants? »

Bridge Rat wrote:Image

heres a beach snook
Looking at that pic shows a great shot of the trough. It`s the green water just past the brownish stuff.

I like to fish two rods, each one at an angle (one to the right, one to the left) so when a snook comes by, they see your bait before they see you.

S`more advice...

Where medium colored clothes. Too bright or too dark and they see you.

Terminal gear should consist of your line, knotted to your mono leader, knotted to your hook. No swivels, snaps, cables, or any of that junk.

Use the smallest hook you can on your live bait. I prefer short shank live bait but some guys swear by circle hooks.

Learn to throw a cast net as nothing gets whacked faster than a fresh live bait.

Always carry a measuring tape. I might not be popular on this, but if you wanna sportfish and don`t plan on keeping any, go fish for Peacocks.
Fishing is ZEN

Catching is incidental

The sea, my church

Greensn95
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Greensn95 »

Awesome info.
HOLY MACKEREL!

levosgien
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Surf Snookin'

Post by levosgien »

Slingin' Iron wrote:not knocking your post but i didnt see if you noticed i was wearing a high-lighter yellow shirt, and still caught that snook :wink:
That's not the person who posted the article :cyclopsani:

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

but that is the person who said that wearing clothes that are too bright will spook the fish. :cyclopsani:

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Thanks great post.

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

No doubt Rabalo,however if you had not a clue and had never fished for snook in the surf would it be safe to say with the info presented you could be quite successful? I use jigs I make myself,at times I think that the snook would hit a shoe if presented to them. Years on the water and our own bias lend to favorites. Just sayin'.

I came back here just to see if this posting still existed. See I'm going to send a new snooker here,this posting should set him off in the right direction.
Tight Lines!!! Praise God!!!

yakfish100
Weekend Warrior

Post by yakfish100 »

That is a lot of information, did you get that off a website or is that original??
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

acouden
Fisher

Post by acouden »

awesome info. I'm not asking for anyones "honeyhole" but where are some inlets to try out in the summer time around the naples/ fort myers/ sanibel area?

David McCoy
Fisher

Post by David McCoy »

Thanks for that information.I'm going to give it a try. Is there a better tide or wind direction?

David McCoy
Fisher

Post by David McCoy »

Also what is the best way to approach bridges and structure for snook? Thanks

SandyDrags
Fisher

Post by SandyDrags »

Thank you so much for giving us Snook Newbies some serious intel.

Over here on the West Coast we use Lucky Craft Flash Minnows 110mm for feeding Halibut in the surf. Similar to the X-Rap's, but a better swim in my opinion. Does anyone use these there? what do ya think?

Signguy
Weekend Warrior

Post by Signguy »

Great info! I would like to have some other info tho. I have a few more questions. I will preface this by giving my spot up.
Where Spanish river Blvd ends into Ocean drive. There are about 20 parking spots on the road, about a quarter mile walk to the Ocean.
That said, Anyone ever have a problem with parking there? The signs say no parking from 10P to 5A. Not really an issue, but if there were a better spot to park for an all nighter, I would love to have that info.

Ok. How do you deal with the seaweed. seemed like last night every cast was retrieved with 5 pounds of the stuff.

Which rigs are most successful?
Frozen shrimp are so easy to use, are they adequate?

I saw a few guys using Sabiki, they caught some bait, but did not see them catch anything.

Saw a couple of Sharkers, did not see any caught tho. (Poor kid who kayaked the bait out had a tough go, with the waves and wind)

How far from shore is the best distance to cast, and what effect do the size of waves have on location and presentation?

These are my first questions, I have many many more. I had a really good time there this weekend, No fish of any size, but I think it will be a good spot if i can convince the fish, I know what I am doing.

Thanks

Anta161
Fisher

Post by Anta161 »

This is really great info, thank you!

Robbycicco
Fisher

Post by Robbycicco »

Anyone have some good honey holes in the St. Petersburg area they would be willing to share with guy and his 9 year old son who have NEVER caught a snook. That's right, NEVER.

I'm not proud. I'll admit it, but my kid just told me that he's getting tired of fishing cuz we never catch anything good. I, of course told him that it's called "fishing",NOT "catching", for a reason. But I'm afraid that I'm losing him. It's just really not fun when you're a kid (or kid at heart) and you're not catching diddly squat.

So here it is. I'm asking.

Help a buddy out.....I promise, I won't tell anyone.

We usually fish the Skyway Pier (North), Pass a Grill, (beach or jetty) or Blind Pass, or Sunset Beach, John's Pass, etc., although we've never gone for surf snook, so that's something new to try.

E-mail me....please help.

Robby

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Have you ever try leting him catch all those pinfish, macks, jacks, snapper, runner, and etc at skyway? That would be your best bet for a kid. Snook isn't something that's fun for a kid because it takes time.

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

What bait and tackle are you using?

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

That's the tough part about fishing on vacation you really just have to deal with the circumstances that are going on with water types of fish in the weeds. I would definitely get some fresh bait on Sibicky her go pokes or something maybe on the bottom and cast your polls out at different distances.
Good luck

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

xsv345
Fisher

Post by xsv345 »

Alright quick question, so for rigging up the pole for these Snook, what do you recommend? Line to line with no sinker? if i do use a singer what rig should I use. also, I would be fishing from a pier, any tips will be appreciated.

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Line to line 1/0 to 2/0 hook clear water lighter leader dont throw you re bait right on top of them and fishing from a pier is different then walking the beach and fishing the surf.

xsv345
Fisher

Post by xsv345 »

So you're saying line to line in calm conditions? Or All surf conditions.

Return to “How To's Articles”