VIEW ALL NEW POSTS HERE - Click Here

bridge tarpon

[ View new posts ]

bridge tarpon

Postby grouperking » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:09 pm

okay guys so ive been fishing down at ch.5 and I was freelining some live shrimp for tarpon and I hooked up into about 10 of them but the problem is i cant seem to bring them up next to the bridge for a pic.

my set-up is so:
shimano calcutta with 45lb braid green color(yomumi something like that) and a heavy ation rod 10lb-60lb
lmk if im my tackle is good or if i can change anything in my tackle. :happyfisherman: :reeling:
grouperking
Old Salt

Re: bridge tarpon

Postby cvstrat » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:06 pm

It's very hard land one. You're gonna need the fish to either run into open or switch to mono. Still you need some muscle to whip them before they run you into a piling.
cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Postby fishboy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:59 pm

grouperking wrote:okay guys so ive been fishing down at ch.5 and I was freelining some live shrimp for tarpon and I hooked up into about 10 of them but the problem is i cant seem to bring them up next to the bridge for a pic.

my set-up is so:
shimano calcutta with 45lb braid green color(yomumi something like that) and a heavy ation rod 10lb-60lb
lmk if im my tackle is good or if i can change anything in my tackle. :happyfisherman: :reeling:

What size Calcutta? How much line can it hold?
fishboy
Old Salt

Postby grouperking » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:03 am

fishboy wrote:
grouperking wrote:okay guys so ive been fishing down at ch.5 and I was freelining some live shrimp for tarpon and I hooked up into about 10 of them but the problem is i cant seem to bring them up next to the bridge for a pic.

my set-up is so:

What size Calcutta? How much line can it hold?

size 400 calcutta and it takes:
Power Pro Line Capacity (# Test/Yards)
50/305,65/180,80/160
Mono Line Capacity (# Test/Yards)
12/330, 14/260, 20/160
grouperking
Old Salt

Postby fishnfool73 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:18 am

Any bridge tarpon over 50 lbs is tough to land regardless of tackle. Try fishing from the shore for them. You will still lose them but have a much better chance than on the bridge.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Postby grouperking » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:44 am

fishnfool73 wrote:Any bridge tarpon over 50 lbs is tough to land regardless of tackle. Try fishing from the shore for them. You will still lose them but have a much better chance than on the bridge.

any idea if there is a place to fish for them near channel 5
grouperking
Old Salt

Postby STRIZ » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:43 pm

OH Cjit

He gonna get spooled on that one LOL
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY
STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Postby linh » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:49 pm

Same place Herbert was telling me where he was throwing poppers at them?
linh
KING MACKEREL

Postby fishnfool73 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:03 pm

grouperking wrote:
fishnfool73 wrote:Any bridge tarpon over 50 lbs is tough to land regardless of tackle. Try fishing from the shore for them. You will still lose them but have a much better chance than on the bridge.

any idea if there is a place to fish for them near channel 5

Tarpon are at every bridge in the Keys where the water is over 4 ft deep.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.
fishnfool73

Postby grouperking » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:48 pm

thanks for everyone that replyed(especially rare) but the more help i get the better chance i might catch one

btw anyone tried using DOA terrorizers? heard the worked awesome :bounce:
grouperking
Old Salt

Postby fishnfool73 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:10 pm

The DOAs in rootbeer work well for tarpon and snook.
fishnfool73

Postby grouperking » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:19 pm

fishnfool73 wrote:The DOAs in rootbeer work well for tarpon and snook.

is the black top white bottom any good?
grouperking
Old Salt

Postby Sirsnookalot » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:57 am

Lifting tarpon 50# is no easy task, I have seen it done from jetties but not a bridge. Personally I only fish tarpon from boat or beach, jetties are ok if it's possible to get over the side and land it on the beach.
What some else chooses to do is up to them, the FWC does not want tarpon over 40" out of the water, even for photo op.

"People will be allowed to temporarily possess a tarpon for photography, measurement of length and girth and scientific sampling, with the stipulation that tarpon more than 40 inches must remain in the water".
Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL

Postby grouperking » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:59 am

Sirsnookalot wrote:Lifting tarpon 50# is no easy task, I have seen it done from jetties but not a bridge. Personally I only fish tarpon from boat or beach, jetties are ok if it's possible to get over the side and land it on the beach.
What some else chooses to do is up to them, the FWC does not want tarpon over 40" out of the water, even for photo op.

"People will be allowed to temporarily possess a tarpon for photography, measurement of length and girth and scientific sampling, with the stipulation that tarpon more than 40 inches must remain in the water".

thanks for the facts man :salut:
grouperking
Old Salt

Postby swordfish » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:36 am

If you lift a fish out by its jaw bigger than that, it will more than likely die... Look at what GK did with his buddy, that is the PROPER way to handle a tarpon bigger than 40"! Go get em! I had a 70 lbs+ fish landed the other day, next to me, but gave him my jig so I wouldn't hurt it.

-swordfish
swordfish
SHARKER

Postby grouperking » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:03 pm

swordfish wrote:If you lift a fish out by its jaw bigger than that, it will more than likely die... Look at what GK did with his buddy, that is the PROPER way to handle a tarpon bigger than 40"! Go get em! I had a 70 lbs+ fish landed the other day, next to me, but gave him my jig so I wouldn't hurt it.

-swordfish

thanks for the advice
grouperking
Old Salt

Return to Species info--Dedicated to Targeting