Fish ID

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Fish ID

Post by BEOWULF »

I was told these are not Blue Runners, as I thought they were.
The meat was not as dark as is usual for runners.
They tasted great too.

Any ideas on the fish ID?
The one on top was 21 inches, that's huge if it's a runner!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Fish ID

Post by fishnfool73 »

Looks like blue runners to me.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

bluerunner

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

that would be Caranx crysos also known as the bluestripe jack man what a great catch keep up the good fishing :cheers: :happyfisherman:
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

I concluded Blue Runner as well until I fried them up, man, that was a tasty meal. Runner was never that good.

Mr. gruntking, do I detect a note of sarcasm? Per fishbase.org, "caranx crysos" = Blue Runner :roll:

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

BEOWULF wrote:I concluded Blue Runner as well until I fried them up, man, that was a tasty meal. Runner was never that good.

Mr. gruntking, do I detect a note of sarcasm? Per fishbase.org, "caranx crysos" = Blue Runner :roll:
Runner was always good in my book... you can make sushi with it as well... sashimi

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

BEOWULF wrote:I concluded Blue Runner as well until I fried them up, man, that was a tasty meal. Runner was never that good.

sarcasm from me never :x
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

If you really love fish, you'll eat anything. I'll pass on the blue runners though lol

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Well I'm glad to see I have such a following that I'm being quoted from other posts. I was certain they were Blue Runners, but then this guy came along saying they were Rainbow Runners or something and put me in doubt. Also, I'd never seen one so big before.

And no, not a "prized" species for me, but I did get an offer to sell them, so I guess it is for someone else. And no, he wasn't Asian.

Just click on my logo below and look at a couple of "prizes".

admiraljack
Fisher

Post by admiraljack »

Like Saltydog said, bluerunners and many other fishes of the Carangidae family can taste GREAT if you filet them and remove the dark muscles. The white meat it delicious :chef:

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

LOL Beo, I was joking, sorry, lol. Hey man its meat, better than anything you can buy at the supermarket!

-swordfish

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

As long as its within the legal limit and eaten not wasted who cares. I laughed at people that ate gaffsail catfish until I tried one.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

JonathanT305 wrote:
swordfish wrote:LOL Beo, I was joking, sorry, lol. Hey man its meat, better than anything you can buy at the supermarket!

-swordfish
I've seen blue runner and jack crevalle for sale at the Tropical supermarket on 60th street in Hialeah. They had mayan cichlid too. :shock:
guy your talking about hialeah look at the people that live there
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

I think its hilarious what they pass off as fresh nowadays to be honest with you... At least YOU killed the runner... Ever seen the supermarket fish? they have cooties, been frozen for years etc lol

-swordfish

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Two Bills Seafood used to sell tropicals, parrotfish and small wrasses like 2-6 inches each. The wrasses were sold by the scoopful for a few bucks. I never igured out what people did with them and how the got someone to catch so many.

Return to “Species info--Dedicated to Targeting”