help me catch my monster

noah4200
Seasoned Fisher

help me catch my monster

Post by noah4200 »

Hey guys, ive been in broward now for about 5 months and have fished everywhere. Ive caught lots of species but no monsters. Well the other night under the 17th street bridge I caught a nice little pinfish and my girl told me it was good bait. So I went to the car, grabbed the big pole and threw it out. I had it propped on a chair about 20 ft from the water and within about 30 minutes, I hear a crash and my pole goes charging toward the canal. I jumped up, ran toward it and dove on the concrete but there was no chance...it was gone. I was so upset, I couldnt sleep for days wondering what it was.

So ive been back out using big bait again...but this time having the knowledge to loosen my predrag so the line pulls out and not the pull. Well tonight I got nailed again...the zzzzzzzzzzz type hit. Well I got to it in time and picked it up, tried to turn the drag up a bit and set the hook but lost it.....never even had it on. The bait was mangled and totally destroyed....it was a big fish. But.. I feel the drag in this case was too light to have the pressure to set.

These are spinner reels, what am I doing wrong. I feel I am either going to get my pole jerked in or not be able to set a firm hook. Help me...lol

I need this monster!

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: help me catch my monster

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Losen drag, hold rod, circle hook, let fish run and keep tension on it.

acorn
Fisher

Post by acorn »

If you are using a spinner and running loose drag always palm your spool to set the hook. Do not attempt to set the drag and then set the hook. Too much time lost messing with your reel. Circle hook would be better when using loose drag on the spinner. As the fish runs, all you have to do is apply spool pressure using your palm and the resistant will set the hook. Never set your drag too loose. You need some drag pressure. Big fish will cause a blacklash on your spool and for sure pull your rod and reel into the water.

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

What are you doing that's so important while fishing that you have to be such a great distance away from your baited line in the water? I would suggest if you want to catch your "monster" I'd put actually being next to/holding the rod as the number 1 thing to change right now.
Hold Fast

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

For rods that I am not holding, I only use conventionals that I put in freespool and put the clicker on, or Baitrunner spinning reels. I frequently fish 4 or more rods this way in the Keys and have never lost one or come close to doing so...just make sure that the clicker works and you are in freespool, when the fish hits, put the reel in gear and fight your fish.

Harry043
Fisher

Post by Harry043 »

I'm sorry, but I simply can't imagine fishing without holding my rod :shock: :shock:

No, not THAT rod :biglaugh:

I mean, I would have felt the bite long before my rod & reel went into the drink!

Lot's of reel good circle hook advice up above though............

joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joenofishhere »

Take me to the spot, I'll remove it for you and you can get back to normal life.
Walk slow, and carry a big Snook.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Good thing the horseshoe has built in rod holders.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

You should have seeing the Horse shoe 2 weeks ago, it was packed like if they were giving candy away LOL

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

make a few of these and be done with it , i use them to clip the rod to the rail and the rod to my cart when out on a pier , has stopped many thief's in there tracks when the rod stops moving and it comes out of there hand and hits the cart and makes a loud rackets lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jbuck501
Old Salt

Post by jbuck501 »

I have to agree with most. Stay close to your rod. For me, I only fish one rod and have my hands on it all the time, when fishing big bait or for big fish. Down here in SF where you can fish many rods, many folks tend to be relaxed and wait for the fish to bite, hook it's self and then come on in. Where I come from, one rod per person has always been law. We have always had hands on the rod. So.....even here I do the same.

Return to “Species info--Dedicated to Targeting”