Snook Season suspended?

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Snook Season suspended?

Post by rshields »

How long is the new ban in effect for? I heard like 7 months until September. Anyone have the facts? Thanks

bolo
USER BANNED

Re: Snook Season suspended?

Post by bolo »

Fish don't do well when rapid temperture falls. I hope it will recover quickly.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Ours is also the coldest in recent memory

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Latest Update:

Catch-and-release fishing still allowed for snook, bonefish and tarpon

January 17, 2010

While the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) issued an executive order on Jan. 15 that temporarily extends closed harvest seasons for snook statewide and establishes temporary statewide closed harvest seasons for bonefish and tarpon, the FWC advises anglers that catch-and-release fishing for these important game fish species is still allowed.

The FWC appreciates angler support for taking conservation measures that will help protect saltwater fish and provide time for the FWC to evaluate the possible impacts to fish populations that may have occurred because of the recent prolonged cold weather in Florida.

The order, which took effect at 12:01 a.m. on Jan. 16, provides that no person may harvest or possess snook in state and federal waters off Florida until September and establishes a temporary prohibition on the harvest and possession of bonefish and tarpon from state and federal waters off Florida through March 31.

The FWC advises anglers that this order prohibits only the harvest or possession of snook, bonefish and tarpon during the closed periods. Anglers may still catch and release these species during these temporary closures, and the FWC encourages everyone to handle and release these fish carefully to help ensure their survival upon release. Information regarding proper handling and release of fish is available online at http://catchandrelease.org/Catch_and_Release_web.pdf.

More information on the FWC's executive order regarding the snook, bonefish and tarpon temporary harvest closures, and information regarding another FWC executive order issued on Jan. 15, which temporarily suspends certain saltwater fishing regulations to allow for the collection and disposal of dead fish killed by cold weather, is available online at MyFWC.com.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

I don't think people should be keeping tarpon anyway..killing something with no food value is BS. Most of the dead snook and tarpon found around here weren't the bigger mature breeders so it should bounce back pretty quick.

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

I don't think people should be keeping tarpon anyway..killing something with no food value is BS. Most of the dead snook and tarpon found around here weren't the bigger mature breeders so it should bounce back pretty quick.

firebeforice
Old Salt

Post by firebeforice »

from that pic it makes sense why flamingo got hit so hard. its seems to be dark purple in that channel between murray key the mainland.

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

JSG2891 wrote: Most of the dead snook and tarpon found around here weren't the bigger mature breeders so it should bounce back pretty quick.
That's the biggest misconception from a lot of people, is that because in their area it wasn't "that bad" or it "wasn't the breeders". That is only one area though, statewide the deathtoll was brutal, and a lot of people that have been around a lot longer than I have, said it might take about 5 years for the population to bounce back, since that's what they saw in the last big fish kill, but this one was huge, and hit everywhere. Anyone got a pulse on what happened to bonefish in the keys?
Hold Fast

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

One of the fishing shows i listen to last weekend had a Captain call in and say the guesstimate (on Bonefish) was a third of the population was lost.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

a lot of the breeders were also found dead! really sad. flamingo is mostly flats with the channels not being very deep either so with that crazy cold spell these fish were helpless. i say a few years as well for the population to come back
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

james380 wrote:One of the fishing shows i listen to last weekend had a Captain call in and say the guesstimate (on Bonefish) was a third of the population was lost.

:shock: Holy smokes, I guess it makes a lot of sense now after seeing those temperatures on that map, I would have thought they would've just run out to deeper water, but I guess quite a few didn't. This whole situation is really a shame, I feel for all you guys that are 99% of the time fishing for snook.
Hold Fast

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Hopefully fleeing to deeper waters when be ingrained into their DNA now.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

that sucks

Return to “Species info--Dedicated to Targeting”