Pinfish?

jbuck501
Old Salt

Pinfish?

Post by jbuck501 »

We were at Dania Pier the other evening using a Sabki tipped with squid and catching what I thought were bait sized snappers, 3" long or so. Could these have been pinfish? If so, do they make good bait off the pier? I was checking out a site that had pics of different baitfish, what we were catching looked the same. I do not remember if they had a spot behind the head or not but body, color and stripes match.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Pinfish?

Post by permitchaser »

maybe the comp pros can post a pic sorry i dont know .pin fish the have a black spot on the back and stripes

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Pinfish:

My bet is you were catching grunts off Dania, not pins. I've rarely seen pinfish off the oceanside piers. Pins usually like grassy, calm shallow areas.

GooganHunter
Fisher

Post by GooganHunter »

permitchaser wrote:maybe the comp pros can post a pic sorry i dont know .pin fish the have a black spot on the back and stripes

here are a few of the common baits used

jbuck501
Old Salt

Post by jbuck501 »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Pinfish:

My bet is you were catching grunts off Dania, not pins. I've rarely seen pinfish off the oceanside piers. Pins usually like grassy, calm shallow areas.
I think you are correct, they had a longer nose then the pic of the pinfish and i do not remember any spots on them. Thank you

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

great pics goganhunter patrol lol keep them overthere tight them with a chain :mrgreen: i heard those pigfish are great bait they make a noise i dont think we have them over here .

GooganHunter
Fisher

Post by GooganHunter »

permitchaser wrote:great pics goganhunter patrol lol keep them overthere tight them with a chain :mrgreen: i heard those pigfish are great bait they make a noise i dont think we have them over here .

yall have them over there , just normaly there caught with a small hook on shrimp , just drop a #1 hook with dead shrimp by the pileing on the pier and you should get one or two of them , but when you use them for bait put a rubber band on there tail and they keep grunting . but any how the pics of the fishin i posted can be found here

http://myfwc.com/docs/Fishing/fish_id2.pdf

its the online ver of this , think ill make a page where some one can just open it and they can look at it on here

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

bro i have never seen one of those here .lol the rubberband is a good idea. how bout that they pin fish with the spot in the front and in the back also neat. thanks GH

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

watch out for the pins on those fish..ouch

Return to “Species info--Dedicated to Targeting”