VIEW ALL NEW POSTS HERE - Click Here

Pinfish?

[ View new posts ]

Pinfish?

Postby jbuck501 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:50 pm

We were at Dania Pier the other evening using a Sabki tipped with squid and catching what I thought were bait sized snappers, 3" long or so. Could these have been pinfish? If so, do they make good bait off the pier? I was checking out a site that had pics of different baitfish, what we were catching looked the same. I do not remember if they had a spot behind the head or not but body, color and stripes match.
jbuck501
Old Salt

Re: Pinfish?

Postby permitchaser » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:59 pm

maybe the comp pros can post a pic sorry i dont know .pin fish the have a black spot on the back and stripes
permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Postby PhishingPhanatic » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 pm

Pinfish:

My bet is you were catching grunts off Dania, not pins. I've rarely seen pinfish off the oceanside piers. Pins usually like grassy, calm shallow areas.
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Postby GooganHunter » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:20 pm

permitchaser wrote:maybe the comp pros can post a pic sorry i dont know .pin fish the have a black spot on the back and stripes

here are a few of the common baits used

GooganHunter
Fisher

Postby jbuck501 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:30 pm

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Pinfish:

My bet is you were catching grunts off Dania, not pins. I've rarely seen pinfish off the oceanside piers. Pins usually like grassy, calm shallow areas.

I think you are correct, they had a longer nose then the pic of the pinfish and i do not remember any spots on them. Thank you
jbuck501
Old Salt

Postby permitchaser » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:44 pm

great pics goganhunter patrol lol keep them overthere tight them with a chain :mrgreen: i heard those pigfish are great bait they make a noise i dont think we have them over here .
permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Postby GooganHunter » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:13 pm

permitchaser wrote:great pics goganhunter patrol lol keep them overthere tight them with a chain :mrgreen: i heard those pigfish are great bait they make a noise i dont think we have them over here .

yall have them over there , just normaly there caught with a small hook on shrimp , just drop a #1 hook with dead shrimp by the pileing on the pier and you should get one or two of them , but when you use them for bait put a rubber band on there tail and they keep grunting . but any how the pics of the fishin i posted can be found here

http://myfwc.com/docs/Fishing/fish_id2.pdf

its the online ver of this , think ill make a page where some one can just open it and they can look at it on here

GooganHunter
Fisher

Postby permitchaser » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:49 pm

bro i have never seen one of those here .lol the rubberband is a good idea. how bout that they pin fish with the spot in the front and in the back also neat. thanks GH
permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Postby rshields » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:01 pm

watch out for the pins on those fish..ouch
rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Return to Species info--Dedicated to Targeting