Pomp season now?

jayhawk
Fisher

Pomp season now?

Post by jayhawk »

I thought Pomps showed up more in winter, but from some of the postings I guess it is started already? It's easier for me to get out after work; is night from the beach ok for Pompano?

jayhawk
Fisher

Re: Pomp season now?

Post by jayhawk »

I live in Cocoa, which is the Canaveral / Brevard county region

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

i dont know or ever heard anyone night fishing for pompano, but the mournings are pretty good for them.

counting-empties
Fisher

Post by counting-empties »

I'm in the Daytona area , 95% of the pomps here now are small 6-9" . Early morning is the best time , all day on overcast days .

Bill

thiggy3
Fisher

Post by thiggy3 »

hey so i live in pompano and need some tips on pompano fishing from the beach. i've been catching and freezing sand fleas cause i heard they were good for pompano's.and i guess from previous post that am fishing is the best for this species, but when is the season for pompanos in broward county?

thiggy3
Fisher

Post by thiggy3 »

hey thanks rob,any advice on locations that you may know of? I'm in pompano.and what your take on using sand fleas. :reeling:

jayhawk
Fisher

Post by jayhawk »

So what type of beasties might one target off the beach at night?

thiggy3
Fisher

Post by thiggy3 »

any advice on lure choice for pomps, I've been using a goofy jig with a teaser. but just wondering if there was any other lures that can be used?
:nilly:

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

white and pink jigs tipped with shrimp are deadly on pomps, give it a shot, but yeah I would rather fish for pompano off the beach than the pier, just my experience
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Signguy
Weekend Warrior

Post by Signguy »

White/Pink jugs. Plastic or bucktail? Pompano may the the fish I will be will catch more than any other. Do they run the trough, or deeper? Log casts 90 degree to the beach or is there a preferred with/against the current. How big of a jig? Leader or not? (how about that for some rapid fire questioning?)

thanks
A true fisherman approaches the first day of fishing much
as a child approaches Christmas, with the eager
anticipation, sleepless nights, making of lists,
and the anticipating of pleasure.

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

Signguy wrote:White/Pink jugs. Plastic or bucktail? Pompano may the the fish I will be will catch more than any other. Do they run the trough, or deeper? Log casts 90 degree to the beach or is there a preferred with/against the current. How big of a jig? Leader or not? (how about that for some rapid fire questioning?)

thanks
white jigs and pink jigs both work. plastic and bucktail both work, it doesnt really matter. they are in and out of the trough, Ive caught them from many places in the surf from within 10 yards to a cast 60+ yards. simple 90 degree cast is all u need, no rocket science. I like to use 1/2oz jigs to 1oz jigs and they all work.

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

8) Funniest thread in the entire forum.
............... Image

Don't even think about it

migs24
Old Salt

Post by migs24 »

So when pomps start to come around I'll be sure to cast my white/pink tipped jugs 90 degrees straight up into the the air :dude: :toast: :reeling: :safe: :biglaugh: :thumleft: ... I feel as if though I'm missing something..

Sorry I had to I lol

Signguy
Weekend Warrior

Post by Signguy »

Thanks Chris, for the honest answer. As to the folks that think I am funny...

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f^cked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f^ckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

But I promise Spider, I will not shoot ya.

Now, Where can I buy frozen Sand fleas in Boca, I have tried to look, using the resources here, and just cannot find any.

:jester: :jester: :jester:

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miamipescador »

Signguy wrote:Thanks Chris, for the honest answer. As to the folks that think I am funny...

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f^cked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f^ckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

But I promise Spider, I will not shoot ya.

Now, Where can I buy frozen Sand fleas in Boca, I have tried to look, using the resources here, and just cannot find any.

:jester: :jester: :jester:
You can get live sand fleas in your nearest WalMart.
Right next to where they have nightcrawlers.. They come in a little bucket with sand and saltwater.. Also includes a fish catching guarantee

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

I want to catch pompano too. Really the only place your going to find fleas in boca is in your freezer after searching up and down the beach, catching them, blanching them and then putting them in there for a rainy day. Maybe at 7 seas in one of the cheast freezers with freezer burn, but I doubt it. They do however sell sand flea rakes at 7 seas bait n tackle in Boca. They have a wide assortment of pompano jigs, some nice fresh shrimp sometimes, and squid in the freezer. Good luck out there, I hope we get alot of pompano this year. :toast:

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

I do not believe in frozen sand fleas, catching them live at the beach is how I always do it, no other way

Signguy
Weekend Warrior

Post by Signguy »

Rare, That was a quote from Goodfellas, Where Pesci shoots the bartender kid (Michael Imperiali) Spider. Now, off to do internet research how to catch Sand Fleas. I know I read it before (here) just to find it now

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

Signguy wrote:Rare, That was a quote from Goodfellas, Where Pesci shoots the bartender kid (Michael Imperiali) Spider. Now, off to do internet research how to catch Sand Fleas. I know I read it before (here) just to find it now
Buy a sand flea rake, they sell them at basspro or almost any tackle shop, to catch the fleas look along the beach when the waves recede for these markings in the sand that look like a V, that is where you scoop

Signguy
Weekend Warrior

Post by Signguy »

Trying to be helpful I am.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=571
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1848

Helpful. I thought, cannot wait to try this weekend