help with title

How to do it, What to use.
" Please when starting a Help thread to keep in mind to have me make it a sticky if it is on a specific method " Makes them easier to find
1guy1rod
Fisher

help with title

Post by 1guy1rod »

I bought a canoe and I have a bill of sale. The guy I bought it from never registered it. He bought it from bass pro shops. I want to put a trolling motor on it but I am wondering what I need to do to get it tagged etc... Any info would be appreciated.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: help with title

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Im not 100% sure, but i dont think you have to register it if you put a trolling motor on it..i think if u were to put a larger motor like a 10hp and up yes, but i could be very wrong...lol

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Any sort of combustion engine on a vessel must be registered
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

and must display atleast 1 all around white light nav lights are not necc
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

You don't have to burn a light must show one to avoid collision
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

kayaks only have to be registered if they are equipped with a gas or electric motor in Florida.

A recept or bill of sale is sufficient to obtain registration for a kayak.

Google is a wealth of information.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

It depends on where you are. In Florida you do have to register it to use in any waters outside your own private lake. Lights are a safety regulation thing also depending on where you are using it.

In Florida it must be registered and display the proper sized and location registration numbers on the hull.

Here is a link to a post on another site kind of explaining it...
Documents that you will need:

MSO - Manufacturers Statement Of Origin
Invoice / Bill Of Sale
Form Number: HSMV 82040 – REV. 12/12
Here is a link to the form: Form Number HSMV 82040
You can fill this form out on screen and save it to your PC.

In some counties, Florida, you can walk into a tag agency and they will do the work for you. This subject has also been discussed a few times on Florida Sportsman if you peruse that site.

My experience in Broward county, same situation as yours, it was a real PITA nad took me several visits to the courthouse DMV office, and a couple phone calls. I purchased a canoe form a friend I knew who purchased it new from a local dealer that went out of business, the guy lived on a private lake and never registered it and did not have the MSO documet so all I had was a BillofSale from the guy. I had to get an affidavit swearing where I got it, take the canoe to a police station and have it inspected and get an officer to sign the affidavit after checking to see if the canoe was stolen, and verifying the manufacturer and serial number... After 3 trips to the miserable DMV waiting in the long lines, I finally got out of there with the registration and a Title came in the mail soon after.
When I sold that canoe I tried to convince the new owner he needed that signed title but he did not want to go to a notary and left with out it, but he said it was for his local private lake and he did not need it.

Good luck... other people I know around the state have ahd differing results, if its your lucky day and in the right DMV office or tag agency you may be able to walk in pay the fees and walk out.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

1guy1rod
Fisher

Post by 1guy1rod »

Thanks for the info. I found out that the canoe was purchased at Bass Pro. I called them today and they are suppose to call me back about obtaining a document of origin. Thanks guys. I will update when I hear something for future reference.

Return to “Boat Fishing Info, How tos and methods”