Skiff vs Flats Boat

How to do it, What to use.
" Please when starting a Help thread to keep in mind to have me make it a sticky if it is on a specific method " Makes them easier to find
xtremeh18
Old Salt

Skiff vs Flats Boat

Post by xtremeh18 »

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between a skiff and flats boat?

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Re: Skiff vs Flats Boat

Post by LINESIDER »

skiff is usually flat bottom little to no v. used for shallow calmer waters,its lighter,gets u wet in chop, usually chosen for technical polling or specific use.

u looking to buy?
main question is style and places you gonna fish

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

:stupid: yea and skiff is probably going to run a little less money vs flats boat but the boat will give you more freedom of what you want to do and when you can do it.
We had a Boston whaler skiff I forget the length but even in the bay we'd be getting sprayed, could make it anywhere but never ventured to the ocean with it. The boat would take forever to get on plane if it ever did but imo picks up speed quicker with hull design. Loved the thing but it wasn't mine and was sold.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Lot of it depends on where you're from. Growing up downeast Carolina everything for the back bays and creeks was a skiff. Otherwise, echo linesider.

I'd love to have another 15' wooden skiff.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

Okay thanks for all the info guys I appreciate it. Just curious, my old man was asking me. Every time we go to Bass Pro we see them there and didn't know what the difference was between them.

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

there is a ton of mods and "hybrids now" so just need to fit your needs.. ideally its a boat for technical polling flats and backcountry. 1 for bay and around the flats trolling motor n such. 1 for bay to offshore and finally a sport fisher.. "ideally" you will never have a boat that fills all your needs n 1. u want to get skinny and quite? gonna cost u dryness and boat space., want to run across the bay and stay dry, need a V so losing draft now.. freakin on going pros/cons.

Return to “Boat Fishing Info, How tos and methods”