Article on the trashed bridges in the Keys

BF Members paying it forward and helping others that are less fortunate and also making a difference and protecting our environment. this area is where you can read about planned events and our accomplishments.
Occasional Angler
Fisher

Article on the trashed bridges in the Keys

Post by Occasional Angler »

About half way down in this http://www.keysnews.com/52388810045176.bsp.htm article, it gives some details on the amount of trash that is left on the channel 2 & 5 bridges in the keys. What a shame.

This link is for the Keys only daily online paper and it is a good source of info for Keys news, BUT, tou might have to sign in to this newspaper website if you never have visited before. They just get some general demographic details like age and zip code etc, no passwords or anything. Also, what ever the headline article is for the day, you can only access if you are a paid subscriber (luckly this article was not the main article today).
Rom 12:2 Go against the flow ¯`·...·´¯`·...><(('>

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Article on the trashed bridges in the Keys

Post by fishnfool73 »

It is a shame but in my lifetime I fear I will see all bridge fishing in the Keys shutdown for good. We are our own worst enemies. This is one of the biggest reasons shorebound anglers are looked down upon by some esp. in the Keys. The residents of the Keys who walk and bike on the bridges are getting fed up with out of town fishermen treating their paradise as a trashcan. Our trash is visible and it is easy to point a finger at us. Boaters trash is just as numerous but no one sees it as it floats or sinks out of sight. Our parks and rec guys threatened to shut down the fishing shore at Nobhill/ Griffin due to excessive trash left on the ground. I knew most of the guys that fish there and passed this word on. In fear of lossing their spot they passed the word on to anyone that they saw fishing there and the spot is now clean and the park rangers stopped asking the town to shut the area down. As fishermen we need to spread the word to those on the bridges about this article for I fear it will only fan the flames and start a movement to close all the briddges in the Keys down to us.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I fear the same thing, I usually bring a trash bag and pick up all the trash in the area I'm fishing when I leave, not just mine. It is freaking ridiculous that people can't pick their crap up, sometimes there is a pile of garbage 5 feet away from a trash can.

Alex07
KING MACKEREL

Post by Alex07 »

Rijkaard wrote:I fear the same thing, I also use to clean at least 200-300 yds of bridge before leaving with a big plastic bag, it takes no more than 10 minutes. Don't know if it would work, but could be a good idea making once in a while a "bridges cleaning trip" trying to give the good example and spreading the voice that fishing will be shut up if people goes on littering, is it just a personal dream or is it feasible?

I'm afraid this might happen to the only pier we have in miami, that place gets worst everyday :(
Last edited by Alex07 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Rijkaard wrote:I fear the same thing, I also use to clean at least 200-300 yds of bridge before leaving with a big plastic bag, it takes no more than 10 minutes. Don't know if it would work, but could be a good idea making once in a while a "bridges cleaning trip" trying to give the good example and spreading the voice that fishing will be shut up if people goes on littering, is it just a personal dream or is it feasible?
Good idea, I wonder if we contacted the Monroe trailways people and offered to do this one weekend? It would look great for Boatlessfishing and walking all the bridges might give us a good chance to scope out some new spots... 8)

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
Good idea, I wonder if we contacted the Monroe trailways people and offered to do this one weekend? It would look great for Boatlessfishing and walking all the bridges might give us a good chance to scope out some new spots... 8)
I totally agree with you Rory. It is great way to expose our boatless fishing site to the Monroe community. These bridges are important to us. If they close it down we will have to head north. Soon they will eventually close all bridge and we wont have a place to fish. I wonder if we can adopt a bridge and keep it clean. Charge the stupid googan a fee to fish. :D
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Great idea BOLO, I know that you can adopt a stretch of roadway to cleanup so why not a bridge. Channel 2 would be the odvious choice.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

fishnfool73 wrote:Great idea BOLO, I know that you can adopt a stretch of roadway to cleanup so why not a bridge. Channel 2 would be the odvious choice.
Can we get more info on how we go about this? Im serious and would like to push this forward.

*~Fishy-Face~*
FISHING BEAUTY

Post by *~Fishy-Face~* »

This idea is fabulous! I'm in of course, heavy duty gloves and all b/c you guys know I have to keep the french manicure looking lovely. I'll do the research and post it for you =0)
~*Elly*~, BoatlessFishing.com Ambassador

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

bolo wrote:
fishnfool73 wrote:Great idea BOLO, I know that you can adopt a stretch of roadway to cleanup so why not a bridge. Channel 2 would be the odvious choice.
Can we get more info on how we go about this? Im serious and would like to push this forward.
Here is the contact info for the Overseas Highway Trail. I'll be glad to shoot her an email if you guys want.

Contact Information
Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail
3 La Croix Court
Key Largo, Florida 33037
Phone: 305-853-3571
Tallahassee Headquarters: 850-245-2052
email: Debra.Stucki@dep.state.fl.us

*~Fishy-Face~*
FISHING BEAUTY

Post by *~Fishy-Face~* »

I went ahead and called Monroe County Roads and Bridges (305) 852-7161, then I was transfered to VMS(Monroe County's contract holder for roads and highways) (305) 289-2350: they only offer adopt-a-road and adopt-a-highway...so...then she sent me to DOT (305) 289-6106, left a message. I'll call again later =0)

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

I think the number I listed above would be the one to contact, the bridges are not under the jurisdiction of DOT, they are part of the Overseas Heritage Trail.

*~Fishy-Face~*
FISHING BEAUTY

Post by *~Fishy-Face~* »

Just called Debra, she'll be returning my call once she finds out what is available and mail out a packet for Tommy since he is the Owner of BF =0) Tommy is that ok with you?!?

So...this might take awhile, besides this weekend is Habitat for Humanity if any1 can still make it out there :?:

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Awesome. It would be great to raise awareness that there are more people who fish down there besides the ones who keep or kill everything and trash the place. I was down there this past weekend and ran into the Monroe bike cops, same pair I've encountered before. They saw all our gear and didn't even bother to check our coolers, acted surprised to see someone down there who actually *looked* like they knew what they were doing.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

*~Fishy-Face~* wrote:Just called Debra, she'll be returning my call once she finds out what is available and mail out a packet for Tommy since he is the Owner of BF =0) Tommy is that ok with you?!?

So...this might take awhile, besides this weekend is Habitat for Humanity if any1 can still make it out there :?:
Have her send two packet, one to Tommy and to you. Not to step on Tommy toes but I know Tommy gets really busy so this way we can review it and work on it soon as possible. We will go over with Tommy of course before the Boatless name gets put on anything. :D

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

What we need is a bridge keeper to gaurd it from googans.

Last edited by bolo on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

pier-afficionado wrote:I am SURE Tommy will not have a problem with this, especially if we adopt Channel 2 since it is a favorite stomping ground of his. Sometimes you can find strands of magical hair on the ground showing he was there :mrgreen:
You mean glow sticks.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

I have no problem with this idea at all, many that know me see that I pull a Glad bag before leaving from my tackle bag every time an clean up all around and then pick stuff up on the walk back to the truck.

FishyFace I have PMed you my Address and yes have also sent to you so all who wants to be involved in putting this together can coordinate with you and BOLO and I.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

baitwetter
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by baitwetter »

bolo wrote:
pier-afficionado wrote:I am SURE Tommy will not have a problem with this, especially if we adopt Channel 2 since it is a favorite stomping ground of his. Sometimes you can find strands of magical hair on the ground showing he was there :mrgreen:
You mean glow sticks.
Those are roofers glow sticks. This is a great idea guys. You can also ask the powers that be if we can repaint the garbage cans on the bridge and put the boatlessfishing.com logo on it since we will adopt it. We can maintain those cans every couple of months with a fresh coat of paint.
Sad to be sitting out this years Shorebound Shark Tourney due to work issues. Good luck to all that participate!!!

4wheelangler
KING MACKEREL

Post by 4wheelangler »

Lovin this idea! I'm in!

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

this is a real good idea guys! :dude:
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

*~Fishy-Face~*
FISHING BEAUTY

Post by *~Fishy-Face~* »

BoatlessFisherman wrote:I have no problem with this idea at all, many that know me see that I pull a Glad bag before leaving from my tackle bag every time an clean up all around and then pick stuff up on the walk back to the truck.

FishyFace I have PMed you my Address and yes have also sent to you so all who wants to be involved in putting this together can coordinate with you and BOLO and I.
you got it!

and can I paint one garbage can in pink to represent the BF Ladies too?!?! =0) i'mma have that stencil made ASAP!! lol OOooooooOOOOO...and imma string pink paper laterns on the bridge for lighting and sprinkle pink fairy glitter on the floor.....2 much!?!? :lol:

BTW, we need shirts made...not just for the girls but the guys too =0)

I love Trading Spaces projects!!!! :nemo:

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

how about the boatless shirts that are sold on here already?
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

*~Fishy-Face~*
FISHING BEAUTY

Post by *~Fishy-Face~* »

BRunner346 wrote:how about the boatless shirts that are sold on here already?
No, special one's for when we do charity/volunteer work =0) I can flatiron your nickname on the back, we can all be a team...as intended. :tongue:

mikeypbg
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mikeypbg »

baitwetter wrote:
bolo wrote:
You mean glow sticks.
Those are roofers glow sticks. This is a great idea guys. You can also ask the powers that be if we can repaint the garbage cans on the bridge and put the boatlessfishing.com logo on it since we will adopt it. We can maintain those cans every couple of months with a fresh coat of paint.
What an awesome idea guys. And Gus, Great idea with the trashcans.

I would love to help out with this in anyway I can before I leave. Let me know when the trip is.

mikeypbg
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mikeypbg »

*~Fishy-Face~* wrote:
BRunner346 wrote:how about the boatless shirts that are sold on here already?
No, special one's for when we do charity/volunteer work =0) I can flatiron your nickname on the back, we can all be a team...as intended. :tongue:
Sweet idea elly. So glad you have become such a great contributor to this site.

I am going to ask some of my vendors about small run screen printing for the mass quantity of shirts. Maybe I can get em donated. How many are we thinking and what sizes? 25? 50?

Any of those fine graphics people out there want to take a crack at a BF.com Charitable Work logo for these???

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

This group never ceases to amaze me. :toast:

Ofcourse any reason to go to the Keys is a good thing.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

mikeypbg
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mikeypbg »

james380 wrote: Of course any reason to go to the Keys is a good thing.
:toast: Ill drink to that James.

4wheelangler
KING MACKEREL

Post by 4wheelangler »

mikeypbg wrote:
james380 wrote: Of course any reason to go to the Keys is a good thing.
:toast: Ill drink to that James.

Mikey, is there anything you won't drink to??? :uplol: :toast:

mikeypbg
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mikeypbg »

Actually I dont really like to drink. But Id share a bud with a few guys on here on a keys trip.

Return to “BF Site Gives Back”