Fort Lauderdale surf fishing under threat

BF Members paying it forward and helping others that are less fortunate and also making a difference and protecting our environment. this area is where you can read about planned events and our accomplishments.
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Fort Lauderdale surf fishing under threat

Post by fishnfool73 »

I should be there tomorrow Tommy .
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Thanks Chris and I saw the text so we will see Pat.

Gruntking said he would be there also and I know of a few others.

Lunkerdog Jeff will be there also and I am sure he will bring a crew
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

[quote="BoatlessFisherman"]FYI
This woman is not just any woman she won the PETA award and is very involved with Peta and they do not fight fair, she will flood the place with sheep.

We need emails sent and we need people to show up and stand up to keep this little section open 24/7 to us and to give it to them would be a loss that can not be measured until you wish to fish in the middle of the day and can't from the beach.

The area that would still be allowed has ZERO beach Access

What would it mean
you could not Fish during the day
you could not sand flea during the day
you could not fish this area during the mullet run during the day
you could not go with your family and all enjoy something as I do when I go with my girls
Many never new this was 24/7 well now you do and if you do not help you will not have it as an alternative for fishing during the day

https://www.consumerfreedom.com/2009/10 ... rich-aunt/

This is Nanci Alexander.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Pat what restaurant does she own ?
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

here is more

https://www.municode.com/webcontent/sta ... ets/fl.pdf

2. Fishing. The right of local governments to declare commercial or recreational fishing
operations a nuisance is restricted. See F.S. § 379.2351.

379.2351 Land-based commercial and recreational fishing activities; legislative findings and purpose; definitions; legal protection; local ordinances; prohibited activity.—
(1) LEGISLATIVE FINDINGS AND PURPOSE.—The Legislature finds that commercial and recreational fishing constitute activities of statewide importance and that the continuation of commercial and recreational fishing will benefit the health and welfare of the people of this state. The Legislature further finds that commercial and recreational fishing operations conducted in developing and urbanizing areas are potentially subject to curtailment as a result of local government zoning and nuisance ordinances which may unreasonably force the closure of productive commercial and recreational fishing operations. It is the purpose of this act to prevent the curtailment or abolishment of commercial and recreational fishing operations solely because the area in which they are located has changed in character or the operations are displeasing to neighboring residents.
(2) DEFINITIONS.—As used in this act, “commercial fishing operation” means any type of activity conducted on land, requiring the location or storage of commercial fishing equipment such as fishing vessels, fishing gear, docks, piers, loading areas, landing areas, and cold storage facilities, including any activity necessary to prepare finfish or shellfish for refrigeration. This definition does not include operations with the sole or primary function of processing seafood.
(3) LEGAL PROTECTION OF COMMERCIAL AND RECREATIONAL FISHING OPERATIONS.—No commercial or recreational fishing operation shall be declared a public or private nuisance solely because of a change in ownership or a change in the character of the property in or around the locality of the operation.
(4) LOCAL ORDINANCE.—No local governing authority shall adopt any ordinance that declares any commercial or recreational fishing operation to be a nuisance solely because it is a commercial or recreational fishing operation, or any zoning ordinance that unreasonably forces the closure of any commercial or recreational fishing operation. Nothing in this act shall prevent a local government from regulating commercial and recreational fishing operations, including by requiring the use of methods, structures, or appliances where such use will prevent, ameliorate, or remove conditions which create or may create a nuisance or, pursuant to the applicable local zoning code, by declaring a commercial or recreational fishing operation to be a nonconforming use.
(5) WHEN EXPANSION OF OPERATION NOT PERMITTED.—This act shall not be construed to permit an existing commercial or recreational fishing operation to change to a larger operation with regard to emitting more noise or odor, where such change violates local ordinances or regulations or creates a nuisance.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

she owns sublime restaurant and several properties according to her email shown below link
http://boatlessfishing.com/ftlaudfishin ... etters.pdf

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

I'll be there with all of my tackle and live baits

released
Weekend Warrior

Post by released »

FYI From Jeff Maggio's FB page
"I have it from a reliable source that the proposed beach fishing ordinance will come-up on the City Commission agenda at 2:30 pm--or slightly thereafter. So be there on time or be square. Eighth floor conference room, or if the crowd's really large--as I expect it to be-- ask at the downstairs desk. ."

So I need to get time off work. Can anyone can get a concrete time slot so I can attend? thanks

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

That's about as close as you'll get on an exact time.
When it's read is at the mercy of everything before it. All the agenda items on the list before ours have to be discussed. No telling how long that could take. Jeff wouldn't post it if he weren't pretty sure.

The thing is most places you need to be in the room when they start. Once they close the doors they don't open them until the meeting is over.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

I got a response email from Jack seiler stating that he does not support additional restrictions or closures to beach fishing..did anyone else receive an email as such?

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Yeah, Jerry- clarencetosociety and I both got the same response. Bear in mind all, when Boca was considering a ban the sheer volume of emails and call they got against the proposed ordnance caused them to removed it from the meeting agenda.

If you can't attend, WRITE AN EMAIL! There's still time.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

snapperfanatic18 wrote:I got a response email from Jack seiler stating that he does not support additional restrictions or closures to beach fishing..did anyone else receive an email as such?

Yes, we did.
This is what he wrote back to me
I agree with you.

Thanks for your input and support.

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Nicely done Jarred- From the 3 finger mullets and sour grapes gang. My spirit is always with you guys

Last edited by Rare on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Was very impressed with Jared on the mic though he should have worn that festive dolphin outfit from the jigging trip. (tommy

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Looks like a good crowd. What was the result or still on going?

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Leadslinger wrote:Looks like a good crowd. What was the result or still on going?
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

-Swordfish

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

fishnfool73 wrote:Was very impressed with Jared on the mic though he should have worn that festive dolphin outfit from the jigging trip. (tommy

Well...Just needs one final touch.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

swordfish wrote:
Leadslinger wrote:Looks like a good crowd. What was the result or still on going?
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

-Swordfish

Look at Jarred left hand...You see what he is holding up? :wink:

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Basically it's going nowhere right now. Mayor wants to see if it's remotely necessary.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

But he said he didn't want to change the ordinance

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

jack is the one who said no.... ill go to the capital with this.. those statutes should over rule their rulings in fact over rule odl and new restrictions... time to go higher.... its clearly stated

BoatlessFisherman

-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

BoatlessFisherman

Those that did not email ----Write one and email it
Please do not hesitate. They are still important and do make a difference. Please tell your friends to write one, the more they keep getting the less they are going to want to deal with this. A show of opposition is always a strong deterrent.

This was my letter to them

Fort Lauderdale Mayor and Commissioners
Re: Proposed restriction of fishing from 23rd to Oakland

A little about myself
My Name is Tommy A - Thomas Fenton Argue III and I am known as the 'Boatless Fisherman'. I am a Fort Lauderdale Native, born and raised here.
I am 54 and have been fishing the beach in question my whole life. I spent many days, as a child, fishing the beaches to the South during the day before that was taken away by restrictions.

For the perfect family beach day we will often head to this very area, around Oakland and 23rd. My wife can sunbath, my youngest daughter can swim and I can fish - that is a perfect day to me as we all get to do our different things but we are all together. As I mentioned earlier I grew up fishing and swimming at the North end of Fort Lauderdale Public Beach and have so many fond family memories. We had no restrictions as the beach was considered an important place for Fort Lauderdale's families and all types of activities. My mother, who was not a fisher person, encouraged me to fish and would take us, almost every weekend to the beach, my sister would swim, I would fish and MOM, well Mom would read her book and smile at her two children the whole day. We did not have a lot but we had those days and they were unforgettable. Fort Lauderdale was a perfect place to grow up, we had perfect weather, beaches and numerous water sports, Everglades with fishing, hunting, camping, hiking and a great social crowd. When we were a smaller city everyone knew each other and the sense of community was strong. I feel we should not forget our history and our values that have been the foundation that this city was built on. I suspect that many of the people requesting restrictions were not raised in this city and they are actually thinking more of themselves and their personal opinions than they are the Fort Lauderdale community as a whole.

The area in question offers limited availability to park your car at the 2 parks located on North Atlantic, it's not easy to get a place to park but those ( local natives ) that know it's there make it work, the result being that this is not a highly trafficked / fished area.

RE: The letters from those that wish this restriction and their so claimed reasons.
First
I would like you to view the reports and records from emergency personal that have been called to that area, I do not believe you will see a single incidence where a beach goer or walker has had medical attention for discarded fishing tackle.
Second
Any and all nets that might be used would be cast nets thrown by the fisherman and we do not net Turtles as that would be a Felony and fisherman are not criminals.
Third
Littering is done by all sorts of people not any one group. Clearly the number of regular beach goers that use the beach in this area out number the fisherman by 50 maybe even a 100 to 1 so most trash would more than likely be left by the majority of the users of the beach and that would not be fisherman.
Forth
Tossing back into the water remnants of fish does not create a danger for swimmers from predators - that is a myth! If fish remnants did cause such a situation we would not see Fishing piers located on Public beaches. Predators attack objects in the water because they are looking for food and in most cases are using their senses and not eye sight. 99% of attacks from predators are in Murky water, these attacks come from Barracuda, Sharks, Bluefish and none of these animals eat humans they simply make mistakes. FACT
Fact--Predators live along the beach and feed 24 hours a day because this is a feeding ground for them moving North and South. How many attacks do we see ?? and how many people go into the ocean in Broward per year? Danger from predatory fish is almost non existent and it should be noted that there have been no incidents in this area of the beach at all to my knowledge.
Fifth
How many people don't have Boat ? Most and how much money does fishing from land generate for our county? A lot ! just check Bass pro and Dicks sporting goods on any day and ask the people you see coming out with fishing gear if they own a boat and the answer will be no more then yes.
Do you know how many kids fish from land growing up in Broward? more then you can count. It is a fact that if you fish you spent many days as a kid at the beach, canal, lake or bridge fishing.

Our Great State gives us the right to --- the pursuit of happiness <--word 30 and 31 of the State Constitution"" and also the right to fish - statue "379.104 Right to hunt and fish.

I hope you will not take this issue any further and allow things to remain how they are, Fishing in Fort Lauderdale has been restricted enough.

Sincerely, Tom Argue
-Tommy A-

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

fishnfool73 wrote:Was very impressed with Jared on the mic though he should have worn that festive dolphin outfit from the jigging trip. (tommy
:cheers:

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I truly wish I were there...

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

image.jpg
We told our little buddy here the big bulls have insane sight and you need cammo to get them into the slick so this is what he showed up looking like. I love this kid
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Rare wrote:

Well...Just needs one final touch.

whats ur guys opinion on the mxjs? i might need to get it to match, i had one that fell in the sand that i sold, jeff from t and r doesnt like them for some reason

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Give me less than a month and 1 of the finger mullet will be trying out one on big game fish for a real test. Not that reel you speak but a raptor...start a new thread on that subject...

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Had one Avet. Not a fan. The Makara SEa-II far superior reel for the money.

BoatlessFisherman

Steve WatersSteve WatersContact ReporterSun Sentinel
@FTLCityNews
Fort Lauderdale City Commission rejects beach fishing ordinance

After heartfelt public comments from numerous anglers at a conference meeting Tuesday afternoon, the Fort Lauderdale City Commission agreed to not move forward on a proposed ordinance that would have restricted fishing from the city's beaches.

Currently, fishing is allowed anytime from Oakland Park Boulevard to Northeast 23rd Street, from 4 p.m. to 9 a.m. weekdays from NE 23rd to NE 18th Street and from 6 p.m. to 9 a.m. for almost all of the beach south of 18th Street.

The ordinance would have prohibited beach fishing from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. along the entire beach in Fort Lauderdale.

It was sponsored by commissioner Dean Trantalis, in response to complaints from some of his constituents that allowing fishing was unsafe for swimmers and beach goers and that fishing equipment was injuring sea turtles and birds.

But angler after angler said that they don't fish near swimmers, never hook turtles and there have been no documented incidents of anglers hooking people. They also said they enjoy spending quality time with their families and friends and spoke of their love of the ocean and its marine life and their commitment to conserving those resources.

Based on that testimony, Mayor Jack Seiler, who said, "This seems to me a solution in search of a problem," Trantalis and commissioners Romney Rogers, Bruce Roberts and Robert McKinzie said there was no need to move forward with the ordinance.

Story is here
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/outd ... story.html
-Tommy A-

Return to “BF Site Gives Back”