Volunteers Needed for Oil Clean Up

BF Members paying it forward and helping others that are less fortunate and also making a difference and protecting our environment. this area is where you can read about planned events and our accomplishments.
bolo
USER BANNED

Volunteers Needed for Oil Clean Up

Post by bolo »

It is time to do something about this oil spill. This oil spill will reach our shoreline soon. I want to see how many people are willing to step up and help. We are currently researching which organization to join that can provide the proper training to help us remove the oil safely. Tommy, James380, Fishnfool, and I will be a part of this clean up. We will like to see others join and not sit on the sidelines. You don't have to be a member of BF or fisherman to join. Your passion to help clean the environment is enough.

Crash and Rob762, i know you guys are resourceful. Do you know of any people we can get in touch with to get the proper training?
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

bart
Fisher

Re: Volunteers Needed for Oil Clean Up

Post by bart »

I plan on coming down towards the end of summer as soon as I get some medical issues taken care of....
"Moisture is the essence of wetness. Wetness is the essence of Beauty"

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Here are a few to start:

First check out Keysspill. I ran into some of their volunteers who were putting up flyers in the Keys 2 weeks ago, I told them about BF and the cleanup we do at Channel 2, they seemed very receptive to any help. BP will pay for Hazmat training for all volunteers, but not until the area has deemed to have oil in it by the Coast Guard.

http://www.keysspill.com/

Sierra Club:
http://action.sierraclub.org/site/PageS ... fvolunteer

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

This is Awesome and when Bolo called me I was like Yea!!!!!, I am all for getting in and doing my part. This will affect all of us in some way and yes I believe we owe Mother Earth our Dedication to this. There is nothing else we can do but help to get it Clean up as fast as possible and hope for the best.

So I hope others feel Like I.

Thanks Guys for including me in.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Everyone should to http://www.keysspill.com, once you do it will automatically take you to a page to sign up to be a volunteer and get your contact info, then you will be automatically notified of events. We can also contact the admin of that group and let them know we have a large group available for help. Like Bolo said though, everyone needs to have certified Hazmat training before you are legally allowed to help with the efforts.

BoatlessFisherman

I have emailed a company that has been doing the Training here in Fort Lauderdale.
It is called
PEC Premier

I am now awaiting there responce
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Thanks for the link PP. I just register my info to it. I would like to hear a respond from PEC Premier.

BoatlessFisherman

I just called a Buddy of mine with BSO and I am going to try to reach, Chuck Lanza head of Emergency Management for Broward, so he could tell me were or who to call in Broward for broward clean up.
-Tommy A-

bullbusters
Weekend Warrior

Post by bullbusters »

After the Hazmat training.. does anyone know how you are able to sign up your boat? Me and a grad student from work would like to take out one of our labs boats into the gulf to help out.
http://www.facebook.com/Bullbuster.mono ... shing.line
https://plus.google.com/107013063084498996341

Bullbuster USA Fishing Line - Premium brand direct fishing lines (50% off retail pricing).

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

Is there an age requirement?

BoatlessFisherman

Ok this is from the First Company I contacted

Thank you for your interest in participating in the clean-up effort of the recent BP oil spill. We, PEC, have been contracted by BP to conduct the BP Spill Response training for those employed to perform the clean-up as well as wildlife recovery groups, paraprofessionals, and local officials/emergency responders. This is a one-day (4 hour) general orientation class with the specific purpose of dealing with this oil spill. The course covers what to expect in the field, potentially dangerous environments, and overall health & safety. This course does not include specific training on cleanup activities or the handling and care of/for oiled wildlife. Below you will find additional information about the coordination of efforts by BP.

Attached you will find a schedule of our upcoming classes

Here is the attachment I received http://boatlessfishing.com/bp/bp-class-schedule.pdf

(or you can find an up to date schedule at http://www.pecpremier.com ). If you fall into a category that requires you to attend this training, please reply to this email to let us know the location, date, and time of the class you’re interested in attending. Be sure to put confirmation code 2664 in the subject line of the email. Pending availability we will register you for the class. You will then receive a registration confirmation email that also includes event details from Eventbrite.com. There is no cost to you for this training.

Please take note that once you have completed this training we will not be able to assign you to any volunteer position or employment with BP.

Sincerely,

PEC – BP Spill Response Training Registration Team

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

BP is working with state organizations to coordinate volunteer efforts in affected Gulf of Mexico states.

As a volunteer you will not come into contact with oil contaminated materials, but may perform mitigation activities in non-oil contaminated areas such as pre-cleaning beaches.

Volunteers will be allowed to work in wildlife recovery and rehabilitation facilities; however, volunteers who do not have federal / state wildlife licenses cannot handle the wildlife. If you are interested in working in these facilities your name will be passed along to the wildlife recovery and rehabilitation coordinators so they can contact you when they need assistance.

If you are interested in this type of role, please contact one of the following organizations:

· Louisiana: http://www.volunteerlouisiana.gov/ or call 2-1-1 or 1-800-755-5175

· Mississippi: http://www.mcvs.org

· Florida: http://www.volunteerflorida.org/ (verify registration is open)

· Alabama: http://www.servealabama.gov/ – or call 2-1-1 or 1-888-421-1266

After registering with the state to volunteer, they may contact you if and when your support is needed. Following activation, you will be provided safety training at the beginning of your work assignment at the location you are advised to report to begin work. Please write down this information and do not lose it as the Horizon Response Center will not have your assignment information.

All oil-contaminated materials will only be handled by Qualified Community Responders (QCR) and not by volunteers. BP is providing training through PEC / Premier Safety Management. However, the BP training modules are of use primarily to individuals interested in employment and not volunteers.

Please note that, in general, volunteers must be 18 years of age or older to participate. Please refer to state websites for more details on any age restrictions.
-Tommy A-

BoatlessFisherman

Ok I have to get some sleep but that is the info that I have received so far, I have not taken it all in yet, but I am sure others can make some sense of it.
-Tommy A-

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

Damn I need to be 18..

If there is anything I can do I would really like to help..

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Thanks Tommy. So far the only location for training on that link you posted is on the Panhandle, but I'm sure that will change if (when) the oil does reach us here.

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

I've sent a couple msgs out as well so Surf Riders Foundation and another person with connections. We'll see what comes of that.

Just sent another one to the PBC EmerOpsCenter.

Sounds like there wont be much we can do once the oil actually gets here. Can't deal with wildlife without a license. No being able to work with oil...
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

BoatlessFisherman

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but I was talking with another BSO Buddy at around 6am and he was explaining that it would seem that they are expecting it in 2 to 4 weeks but they don't know, Pat can explain further he has talked with another person and seems to have heard the very same thing, something about a couple of patches of oil seine "Don't know if I spelled that right" 3 miles out from Grassy key and expected this way in that time period. It would seem that official offices are on guard right now, lets hope they are wrong but I don't know I am getting a bad feeling in my gut on this go around.

Rumors as of now, don't really know what to know.
-Tommy A-

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

PBC Emergency Management sent me a link. So all you guys in the area go a head and sign up.

http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/publicsa ... edbackapp/
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

BoatlessFisherman

I have been receiving emails from Fort Lauderdale City on the oil spill weekly. This is the last one I received 06/02/10

This comes from gflcvb@broward.org which is the city of Fort lauderdale

Dear Tommy A:

To keep us posted on the impact to Broward, please fill out our short weekly survey at http://www.sunny.org/surveys/oilsurveyattractions/

The Broward County Emergency Management team continues to monitor developments of the northern Gulf of Mexico oil spill. There have been no physical impacts to South Florida from the Gulf oil spill and none are anticipated in the immediate near future, according to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) trajectory forecasts. There are no advisories recommending against travel to South Florida. There are no advisories against fishing, diving, swimming or other water sports, according to the Broward County Health Department. Locally-caught seafood is safe to eat. According to NOAA officials and the U.S. Coast Guard, if the Atlantic Coast is to get any effects from the oil sheen currently in the Gulf Loop Current, it is expected to be in the form of small tar balls.

Oil trajectory maps, released by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) show non-contiguous, light sheens of oil and scattered tar balls from the Gulf oil spill in the Loop Current remaining to the west and northwest of the Florida Keys through Friday. According to NOAA, the forecast position of the southeastern edge of non-contiguous, very light and colorless oil sheen and tarballs for Friday is about 125 miles to the west of Key West.

Although NOAA officials continue to research potential impacts, any oil that might reach Atlantic waters would likely be physically different than it is in northern Gulf waters. That means it would be very unlikely that large "rivers" of oil would impact Southeast Florida. While arrival of oil in any form is unacceptable, experts say that impacts in the form of scattered tar balls would be less harmful to the environment and likely easier to mitigate than impacts from a large sheet of oil.

On May 20, Florida Gov. Charlie Crist declared a state of emergency for Greater Fort Lauderdale, adding Broward County to the two dozen Florida counties under the declaration. That was done primarily so Broward can qualify for federal reimbursement funding and small business loans, if needed.

Visitors continue to be welcomed to all Florida areas that are under a state of emergency.
Greater Fort Lauderdale has 23 miles of Blue Wave beaches, 34,000 accommodations, more than 4,000 restaurants and a wide range of attractions offering special deals for summer travel. http://www.sunny.org/lauderdeals

Additional details about the northern Gulf of Mexico oil spill are available on these official websites: http://deepwaterhorizonresponse.com
http://www.noaa.gov/
http://www.epa.gov/bpspill

Florida Oil Spill Information Line: 1-888-337-3569
To report tarballs or other evidence of oil on Florida's coastline: 1-866-448-5816
To report oiled wildlife: 1-866-557-1401
To contact BP about a claim, contact the Claims Office at 1-800-440-0858 or file online at http://www.bp.com/claims

Q & A Regarding Greater Fort Lauderdale and the Northern Gulf Oil Spill
for current and potential visitors to Broward County:

I saw in the news that the oil slick might reach the Atlantic Coast soon.
The oil from the spill is still positioned in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Some computer models show that a light oil sheen has entered or will soon enter the northern extreme of the Loop Current, whereupon it could be transported southward. If any of the oil makes it to the vicinity of the Florida Straits, it would be highly weathered and both the natural process of evaporation and the dispersants would reduce the oil volume significantly. Oil entrained in the Loop Current would require persistent onshore winds or an eddy on the edge of the Loop Current for it to reach the Florida shoreline. If this were to occur, the weathered and diluted oil would likely appear in isolated locations in the form of tar balls. It is still unclear if the weathered oil would actually arrive in the Atlantic coast regions or bypass the area and remain either in the Loop Current or the Gulf Stream. The bulk of the spill should remain away from the Loop Current, according to NOAA.

What is the Loop Current?
The Gulf Loop Current is a clockwise current that carries water from the Yucatan Channel north into the south-central Gulf of Mexico, then back down south off the Florida west coast, past the Dry Tortugas and into the straits of Florida. The current plays a crucial role because of concerns that if oil gets into the Loop Current, it could be swept to the south, possibly into or around the Keys and then carried by the Gulf Stream to other areas of Florida and the east coast.

How can oil get into the Loop Current?
Transport in the northern Gulf is based primarily on current eddies and wind direction. A persistent wind from the north would push oil toward the Loop Current, while winds from the south help to keep oil away from the Loop Current.

Can you guarantee me that the oil will not make its way to the Atlantic coast during my vacation?
Nobody can make a long-term guarantee that residue from the Gulf coast oil spill will or will not be seen along the Atlantic coast. But what we do know is that NOAA forecasts oil slick trajectory movements up to 72-hours ahead. As long as the oil is in the northern Gulf of Mexico and out of the Loop Current, it will not affect the Atlantic Coast. If the oil does get into the Loop Current, it will probably take two to three days to migrate down to the Dry Tortugas region, (situated about 70 miles west of Key West) and then likely be carried into the Florida Straits. Long-range forecasts are virtually impossible, but given current circumstances, if the oil did get into the Loop Current it would require approximately seven days to migrate near our coast.

If oil gets into the Loop Current, what impacts will it have on Greater Fort Lauderdale?
A definitive answer to this question is difficult because this is an unprecedented event. Officials cannot predict how much oil might get near South Florida beaches or exactly what form it would take. Experts speculate that the material's residence time in the water would likely disperse it and result in "tar balls." Impacts seen on Greater Fort Lauderdale's beaches could include an increase in tar balls or mixed seaweed and oil. While arrival of oil in any form is unacceptable, those impacts would be less harmful to the environment and likely easier to mitigate. It is also possible that oil could remain in the Loop Current and Gulf Stream and completely miss Broward County or one area of Greater Fort Lauderdale could be affected and others not. Currently, however, no such impacts have been seen and none are expected in the near future.

I hear authorities have shut down fishing and diving in Fort Lauderdale.
That is emphatically not true. Earlier this week NOAA issued an order restricting fishing in federal waters affected by the oil spill. That area is in the far northern Gulf of Mexico between Louisiana state waters at the mouth of the Mississippi River to waters off Florida's Pensacola Bay. These areas are far from Broward County and no other areas of Florida are under the order at the current time. It also means that Broward- and southeast Florida-caught seafood has not been affected and is still delicious and safe to consume.

Is it safe to dive, swim and participate in other water sports in Greater Fort Lauderdale?
Yes! There are no advisories in Broward County currently in effect due to the Gulf oil spill. The Broward County Health Department is monitoring the situation and would issue an advisory in the event of any health-related risk. Click to view live beach webcams.

What is a tar ball?
A tar ball is a blob of oil which has been weathered after floating in the ocean. Tar ball concentration and features have been used to assess the extent of oil spills and their composition can also be used to identify their sources of origin. They are slowly decomposed by microorganisms. While not dangerous to most people, tar balls can cause an allergic reaction and should only be retrieved by trained personnel. Tar balls can occur naturally and as such are not always associated with oil spills.

I'm apprehensive about traveling to Greater Fort Lauderdale because I don't want to lose money if oil comes and ruins my vacation.
Each hotel has its own cancellation policy. It is prudent to check with the hotel, as well as any other South Florida travel-related operator, in advance to determine cancellation policies and if management will offer refunds in the event oil adversely affects the Atlantic waters.

What happens if oil does affect Greater Fort Lauderdale?
The U.S. Coast Guard is the lead government agency responsible for oversight of any necessary cleanup and remediation activities. The Coast Guard works in conjunction with other local, state and federal authorities to enact a 725-page area contingency plan that includes oil spill response actions. Some of the other agencies include Florida's Department of Environmental Protection, Broward County Emergency Management, Port Everglades and other public agencies, as well as area individuals and organizations. All efforts possible would be made to protect the beaches and marine environment in Broward County. The agencies have a unified plan in place to address oil spills caused by vessel groundings and have conducted several drills to prepare for such an incident. Since the oil spill began, agencies have met several times to adapt the plan. BP must pay for all response activities.

I hear much of Florida is under a state of emergency.
Twenty six of the state's 67 counties -- including Broward County -- are under a state of emergency, even though no impacts have been seen in Florida. The edict is issued so that counties can qualify for federal reimbursement funding and small business loans, if needed. Visitors continue to be welcomed to all Florida areas that are under a state of emergency..

When will this be over?
We don't know for sure. The outcome and timing depends on when the leaks at the well site can be plugged or effectively contained, how well current mitigation efforts work in containing the oil that is in already in the water, and on wind and weather conditions.

Where can I get more information on the oil spill?
Official NOAA oil slick trajectory maps can be found at http://noaa.gov/
Spill-related websites, primarily focusing on affected areas, include http://deepwaterhorizonresponse.com and http://epa.gov/bpspill

To contact BP about a claim, contact the Claims Office 1-800-440-0858 or file online at http://www.bp.com/claims
-Tommy A-

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

I am in, whatever u guys plan include me fully. If and when I become employed then Ill be subject to whatever scheduling my job demands, but my free time is available and willingly will go to mother nature, she is worth dying for in my view. Lets do it guys, lets show our symbiotic relationship to she who provides us with lives full of enjoyment and endless fish stories!

-sword

BoatlessFisherman

OK James I am signed up and also the Keys one.
-Tommy A-

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Signed up for PBC also.

BoatlessFisherman

rebel33i wrote:
BoatlessFisherman wrote:I hate to be the bringer of bad news but I was talking with another BSO Buddy at around 6am and he was explaining that it would seem that they are expecting it in 2 to 4 weeks but they don't know, Pat can explain further he has talked with another person and seems to have heard the very same thing, something about a couple of patches of oil seine "Don't know if I spelled that right" 3 miles out from Grassy key and expected this way in that time period. It would seem that official offices are on guard right now, lets hope they are wrong but I don't know I am getting a bad feeling in my gut on this go around.

Tommy i have had a bad feeling from the word go on this one.............
I hear ya, but we can do some Good and it is really all we can do because what is done is DONE!

Fix it and than HANG THEM.
-Tommy A-

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

Im in! I cant sign up for anything right now at work but when i get home ill be sure to. thanks guys!
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

rebel33i wrote:
BoatlessFisherman wrote:I hate to be the bringer of bad news but I was talking with another BSO Buddy at around 6am and he was explaining that it would seem that they are expecting it in 2 to 4 weeks but they don't know, Pat can explain further he has talked with another person and seems to have heard the very same thing, something about a couple of patches of oil seine "Don't know if I spelled that right" 3 miles out from Grassy key and expected this way in that time period. It would seem that official offices are on guard right now, lets hope they are wrong but I don't know I am getting a bad feeling in my gut on this go around.

Tommy i have had a bad feeling from the word go on this one.............
Just so you guys know...the oil found off Grassy/Duck Keys is NOT from the Gulf leak.
http://www.keysnet.com/2010/06/03/22555 ... l-not.html

Oily substances and tar balls found in the Middle Keys this week are not connected to the Deepwater Horizon/BP oil spill, Monroe County Emergency Management and the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary said Thursday afternoon.

Citing the U.S. Coast Guard as their source, Sanctuary Superintendent Sean Morton and Emergency Management Director Irene Toner "confirmed the Coast Guard’s earlier reports that tar balls and sheen in a canal on Duck Key were not from the Gulf oil spill," they said in a statement released Thursday.

Coast Guard pollution investigators from Sector Key West had responded to reports of an "oily substance and tar balls" near Duck Key, Long Key and Grassy Key. Samples of the oily substance and tar balls were sent to the Coast Guard Marine Safety Laboratory in New London, Conn., to determine the origin and source of the oil.

A crew from Station Marathon recovered tar balls and identified one oiled vessel in a canal on Duck Key. A Coast Guard HU-25 Guardian aircraft from Air Station Miami conducted an aerial search and confirmed the "presence of sheening in the vicinity of Duck Key and deployed a self-locating data marker bouy (SLDMB) to determine the set and drift of the substance."

No tar balls were found on Grassy Key or Long Key.

As a proactive measure, the Dolphin Research Center on Grassy Key and Florida Keys Dolphin Interaction at Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key put oil containment booms around their lagoons with the help of the Coast Guard.

Shoreline assessment teams continue monitoring the shorelines for more possible tar balls. If detected, contracted crews will conduct cleanup operations.

In the past month, there have been 37 reports of tar balls in the Florida Keys, from Islamorada down to the Dry Tortugas. Samples found in each location were sent to the Marine Safety Laboratory for testing. None of those samples have been connected with the Deepwater Horizon/BP oil spill.

BoatlessFisherman

Let not side track this we can start another thread, STARTED
-Tommy A-

Return to “BF Site Gives Back”