jettypark and cocoa beach

Help on different Boatless Fishing locations.
jmwands
Fisher

jettypark and cocoa beach

Post by jmwands »

Hey all,,,
first off, thanks to jettypark28 I had a great trip (we're from colorado) last year. I caught some drum, a spanish mack, and a grunt. I feel like a pro this year, but only caught some whiting this year so far. I am thinking of hitting jetty park this evening so we'll see what happens. So I have a couple of questions,

could I catch a pompano on fleas from the beach?
would fleas be good at j/p?
what are good (2 or 3) artificial for the surf?
is there a size/number restriction for whitings, and are they good to eat?
how far is a food pier you guys go to?

thanks for helping a fishing bro out so far. If I can ever help in colorado, plz let me know,,,

jm

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: jettypark and cocoa beach

Post by fixed80 »

jmwandscould wrote: could I catch a pompano on fleas from the beach?
yes... from jetty park this time of year no.
jmwandscould wrote:would fleas be good at j/p?
not unless your fishing for sheepshead near the pilings/rocks.
jmwandscould wrote:what are good (2 or 3) artificial for the surf?
sea striker silver spoon about 2oz to 3oz never fails. other than that... storm baits, windcheaters, and ect. surface popping lures can be good too from what ive heard. Oh and BTW... if your using artificials... go to satellite beach or melbourne beach instead. the trough is deeper further south than up in cocoa beach.
jmwandscould wrote:is there a size/number restriction for whitings, and are they good to eat?
no and yes they are good to eat.
jmwandscould wrote:how far is a food pier you guys go to?
whatchu say :biglaugh:

jmwands
Fisher

Post by jmwands »

food pier = GOOD pier,,,

jeez cantcha reed me minfd?/

btw thanks,,, and on the pomp,,, how far out do I gotta cast?

jm

jmwands
Fisher

Post by jmwands »

:cheers:

oh my,,,, where to start,,,

so now my week is up,,, today was my last day fishing and probably the best yet,,,
backing up tho,,
so I can now dig my bait as I need it :D
I have caught five different kinds of fish,,
I can net my own bait,,,
I can rig my saltwater rigs,,,
I can read the beach and tides,,,

all because of you guys,,,(doesn't hurt I've fished my whole life, but saltwater is a new story to me)

So I took my son and our friends daughter to jettypark and after a few encounters with other fishermen she says "so let me guess, fishermen are nice people,,," and we had fun although we didn't catch anything. I had the night before landed a nice bluefish on a mullet so kindly given me by a leaving fishermen. I had already caught some whiting on the beach, not to hard. Still want to catch a pomp,,, maybe next year. Then on a falling tide in the middle of the day I hooked a nice slot black drum and what I took to be a porgy, both on the SAME drop rig,,, like pulling in a safe!
:reeling:
I also caught some nice whiting on the same beach, but on shrimp, not the free fleas,,,

But the best is yet to come,,,

So our friends 5 year old want to borrow my little cheap wal-mart throw-net to catch some fish on the beach. Sure,,, I wanted to spend time with the family so was not planning any fishing until later tonight, so I decided to catch some "fish" for my little friend (after some dismal effort by his mother) and wham,,, caught 8-10 nice mullets in 6 inches of water! So I let them go and walk back to the room for a bucket and a pole. I proceed spend the next hour trying to catch some bait. I caught some tiny ones,,, not big enough for any respectable fish to bother biting,,, but them I netted some stragglers that were of decent size. The beach had plenty of folk on it,,, walking through my little trough and giving me the stink eye for fishing and probably thinking I'm a nut,,, 2:25 pm surfers and tourists,,, basically a lowtide,, but I could see these troughs clearly. After killing three baits,, I grab my last good sized mullet, (only a sickly puny one left) I continued to work this little trough I had been targeting,,, cast across and let the current move the bait out and across the trough,,, you know, like 15' from the sand,,, then
:happyfisherman:

I felt a hit, and because the line was in my hand and the bail up, I just about sliced my finger off with the 8# (dia) braid before I could get the bail down! Big fish on! I set the hook let 'er run! Now who's the bozo ,,,,
Pole bent, drag singing, couple times up and down,,, finally saw ( but knew anyway) the big mouth of the snook!
Oh yeah, right on the beach in front of 20 (maybe 10) slackers,,,
Got 'er on the beach,,, over slot by 4-5 ",,, wouldn't have kept her anyway.
What a way to end the trip. And I owe it all to the fine folk of Boatless Fishing Forum.
Thanks fellas,,, It's like my friend said,,, fishermen are like,,, friendly,,,, :D

thanks again,,,

jm

ps-pm me if any of you all come to Denver and I will try to hook you up with some Rocky Mountain fishing.

Return to “Fishing Location Help”